Author Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 604 times)

Offlineblokeonthemove

Extended warranty
    « on: 2013-02-11 12:26:28 »
    Does anyone have any experience of extended warranty for our bikes. They have the potential for great expense if anything needs replacing after the BMW warranty expires. Apologies if this subject has been mentioned, I did a search which came back with no results. 

OfflineJim

Re: Extended warranty
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-02-11 14:42:36 »
      Also when do you need to take one out, I.E. anytime before the 2 year is up?

2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-02-11 15:40:47 »
        I know that the extended warranty does not cover all items so you need to read the small print before buying.  You will probably be offered it by BMW or your dealer just before the 2 years is up.  There is certainly no reason to take one out before the 2 year point but I think its not available if you leave much past the date.
          Having said all that all the things that seem to go on the 1600 are well documented and are known faults ie switches, clutched, water pumps.  I suspect that all these would be replaced free or at much reduced cost after the warranty period.   

Offlinesevenup

« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-13 18:21:04 »
          I have had extended warranties on both a 1200RT and a 1300GT. Thank heavens I did. I would have been bankrupt and insane given the number of failures I endured. My current bike is at 5k miles and it is by several thousand miles the most reliable BMW I have owned. I have run bangers that were more reliable than my previous 2 BMWs. Wouldn't go past 2 years without it. (BMW cars are amongst the highest failures in Warranty Directs recent report- what chance the small volume bike range)
          Economics - invented to make astrology look good #indyref #YES2014

anything