Author Topic: TPS monitoring display  (Read 1420 times)

OfflineBrick

TPS monitoring display
    « on: 2013-02-18 01:23:32 »
    Does anyone know if its possible to have the Tyre pressure display changed from the current Bar to PSI?  A friend has been told on his new K1300 that it can be gone at a dealer, but so far our local dealer says they don't know. I'm guessing that it will be the same on the GT.

OfflineJeffMorse

Re: TPS monitoring display
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-02-18 04:34:20 »

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #2 on: 2013-02-19 00:47:23 »
        Looks like that's a NO then ::)
        Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineJeffMorse

« Reply #3 on: 2013-02-19 01:49:08 »
          Next time you take it in for service, ask the dealer to make the switch I guess. I'm sorry I didn't have better news for ya.

OfflineBrick

« Reply #4 on: 2013-02-19 05:56:43 »
            My mate with the 1300 is following up on it with the local dealer if he succeeds, I'll take the 16 in.

OfflineJP6SIX

• K1600GT since 17032012
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-02-19 19:05:03 »
              Let me irritate you a little bit.  ;)

Long ago European engineers of the standardization commission decided to standardize the system of units. The so called international system of units or the SI system. Pressure should be expressed in Pascal (Newtons per square meter). You may use Bar.

1 Bar = 100.000 Pascal or 100.000 Newton per square meter (N/m^2) . Is about 1,02 atm (old expression)

To help you 1 Bar = about 14.5 psi (pound force per square inch) or 1 psi = 0,06895 Bar

Good luck.  ;D

JP

OfflineBrick

« Reply #6 on: 2013-02-25 09:30:18 »
                Now that I now I should be running 2.9 bar I'm not so fussed. I did notice that over the weekend the TPS suddenly dropped from 2.9/2.9 to 2.6/2.7 yet the tyre pressure is still 42/42psi (2.9/2.9) when checked manually.

I'm guessing that this can be re calibrated at the dealer?

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2013-02-25 21:16:21 »
                  The TPS also compensates for temperature and calculates what the pressure would be at 20C. A manual check does not compensate for temperature and therefore the reading will always be different, unless it is 20C outside.
                  Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBrick

« Reply #8 on: 2013-02-26 00:48:24 »
                    I live in the monsoonal tropics of Australia. When the temperature drops to 20c locals freeze to death.... ;)

An average day at this time of year, the bitumen melts and runs off the road like black snakes. The tyre temperature would have to be well over 40c most days.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                      « Reply #9 on: 2013-02-26 08:36:14 »
                      You'v just ruined my day talking about weather.  Not got above 1c here for days and the tarmac is white with road salt.  Bet your dash has never steamed up.

OfflineBrick

« Reply #10 on: 2013-02-27 01:00:06 »
                        No condensation, or not yet anyway.   On the other hand +90% humidity for months on end creates corrosion in anything even slightly dodgy. It was a yearly event to pull apart the dash in my old K100RT and run a toothbrush and some metho over the connections to clean them up because the neoprene vents didn't work like they should have in such high humidity.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2013-02-27 13:36:05 »
                          No condensation, or not yet anyway.   On the other hand +90% humidity for months on end creates corrosion in anything even slightly dodgy. It was a yearly event to pull apart the dash in my old K100RT and run a toothbrush and some metho over the connections to clean them up because the neoprene vents didn't work like they should have in such high humidity.
                            Dont think you will ever have problems with dash condensation.  It only seems to happen at temperatures  below 10c, I suspect something you dont often experience 

OfflineJim

« Reply #12 on: 2013-02-27 17:01:41 »
                            Pulled the bike out today and set off on a short (100ml) run, after about 30ml I noticed that the dash had quite bad condensation not just the info section but also the speedo & rev counter, I stopped for about 10min with the clocks facing the sun and the condensation vanished, the temp never got above 8 deg C
                            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #13 on: 2013-02-27 19:23:11 »
                              Pulled the bike out today and set off on a short (100ml) run, after about 30ml I noticed that the dash had quite bad condensation not just the info section but also the speedo & rev counter, I stopped for about 10min with the clocks facing the sun and the condensation vanished, the temp never got above 8 deg C
                              Did it reappear when you set off again.  I seem to remember last year on a 100 mile run in the cold it was there after about 40 miles but gone when I got home. My new cluster condensated after about 35 miles and was still there after 60.  It vanished about 10 minutes after I stopped

OfflineJim

« Reply #14 on: 2013-02-28 14:44:58 »
                                It was strange, when I set off I never noticed any condensation then after some 30ml and the sun hitting the dash some condensation in the info section as time went on it got worse and it seemed to spread to both the clocks, it got to a point where it seemed to stay as it was for a while and then started to fade a bit but was still there after some 80ml which was when I pulled in to have a smoke (I know, I know wish I had never started) the clocks were facing the sun for about 10min when I climbed back on the bike the condensation had gone, over the next 20ml it never re-appeared. This in its self does not bother me to much its the damage that it will do long term to the dash that will annoy me. Will say to dealer next time I am there but I can't see a fix for this problem would take a complete re-design to the way it's vented. My thoughts only
                                2014 GTL Exclusive

anything