Author Topic: Centre stand lifting  (Read 1566 times)

OfflineBrick

Centre stand lifting
    « on: 2013-03-15 02:32:50 »
    The one thing I've never quite worked out with my '11 GT, is lifting it on to the centre stand. As a long term BMW Brick owner, it was also taken for granted the side stand was only for getting off, at which point you turned around and put the bike on the centre stand to stop any oil from the sump working its way up to the head whilst on a lean.

14 years is a hard habit to break. I've been using the grab handle to steady the lift until recently. Not really happy about how they flex. I've started using the pillion peg as a handle. Far from ideal, but stronger than the grab handle.

Last night I saw a mates K1300R. He recently added a Wunderlich folding lift handle. A simple bracket fits around the frame to provide support. Unfortunately the frame at the same point is about half the size of the K16's.

Anyone know if one is available for the 1600?
    « Last Edit: 2013-03-15 02:34:27 by Brick »

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Centre stand lifting
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-03-15 08:17:40 »
      I believe the 1600 is probably the easiest of all big bikes to put on its centre stand.  For many years I had RTs from 1100 to 1200 with and without lifting handles and none went on as easy as my GTL.  Left hand on the bar, right on the grab handle and just push down on the stand.  No lifting required. 

Offlinewoodcote

« Reply #2 on: 2013-03-15 08:52:32 »
        I have to agree with RTman10.

My K1300GT was a nightmare to place on the centre stand. I think the centre of gravity, or whatever, was about two foot above the seat. The slightest deviation from TDC whilst stood at the side caused me no end of worry.

This, TBH was a major concern when I finally plunged and had a test ride on the 1600. To my delight I found no such problem whilst putting the bike on the centre stand. IMHO the centre of gravity feels much lower.

OfflineBrick

« Reply #3 on: 2013-03-15 09:21:26 »
          I have to admit, despite being the size of a super tanker, it goes up reasonably easily. The K1200RS it replaced was heavier. I'm just surprised that it doesn't have so much as a frame grab rail. I'm not keen on using the pillion rail.

Putting a bike on side stand has always been about weight down not lifting. I'd just be happier I think if there was something just that little sturdier to grab.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #4 on: 2013-03-15 11:08:44 »
            I use the pillion grab rail on my GT and find it nice and solid. The bike goes on to the stand easily too.
            2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-03-15 17:51:53 »
              Putting a bike on side stand has always been about weight down not lifting. I'd just be happier I think if there was something just that little sturdier to grab.
              I have the black Wunderlich bars on my red GT front and back. I know some people don't like them, but they do the job and provide an easy and sturdy grip (the ones in the back ;D ) when putting the bike on the centre stand.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineJP6SIX

• K1600GT since 17032012
                « Reply #6 on: 2013-03-15 19:07:54 »
                When I try to put the GT on the center stand with full loaded side cases and loaded top case I need a lot of muscles. WOW >:( Unloaded I have to admit it is really easy. Besides of that, when the exhaust is hot I usually burn my boots.  :'(

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2013-03-16 14:48:41 »
                  This topic is well debated on another forum I frequent.

My take on how to get the bike on the centre stand is not about brute strength, but technique.

How I do it................

With the bike on it's side stand hold the left handle bar and left pillion grab handle.
                  Push the bike upright with your foot on the centre stand prong until you feel the right hand side centre stand foot touch the floor.
                  Now with both arms straight, stand on the centre stand prong with all your weight, and try to force the centre stand into the ground. This is done all in one movement.
                  The bike should pop onto the centre stand easily.

Good luck.
                  R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

Offlinec5

« Reply #8 on: 2013-03-17 17:24:27 »
                    Put the ESA settings on sport and two up ,works best for me and more space for your boot .

OfflineJP6SIX

• K1600GT since 17032012
                      « Reply #9 on: 2013-03-18 22:12:41 »
                      Thanks, I am going to try thatone.

Offlineblokeonthemove

« Reply #10 on: 2013-03-27 14:18:31 »
                        I seem to remember my Mk 1 Pan Euro was the easiest with it's swing out handle at the correct height, the 'K' pax grab rail is a bit high but it goes on easily enough. Then there was the electric one on the 1200 LT. Pure luxury.

anything