Author Topic: Garmin Express - caution  (Read 2393 times)

OfflineGeebee

Garmin Express - caution
    « on: 2013-04-03 07:05:05 »
    Whether you like it or not, Garmin is now pushing users to their Garmin Express platform to update maps. Big disadvantage is that you have to connect your Zumo/Navigator to your pc/Mac for Basecamp to work properly. If not, Basecamp will just use the standard map with the main roads. This really is a problem for me as now I have to drag my Navigator with me from the bike to plan my trip. Whereas in the past I did my planning and once ready just transferred it to my Navigator.  :-\  Garmin that's not a step in the right direction.... >:(

Nuf said, so I installed Garmin Express to go from the Europe 2013.10 to 2013.30 version (strangely enough my Nav IV was not offered an upgrade to the 2013.40 version?). The tool itself is very simple and imho took less long to download and install the map (compared the Lifetime Updater). However, after giving my the confirmation my maps were updated, I disconnected my Nav IV and started it up. Promptly the "cannot unlock maps" warning came up. Apparently however, I can use the map though. It's just annoying. Map info confirms I have CN Europe NT 2013.30, strange.

So I contacted the Garmin HD. They responded quickly with an extensive reply I must say via email. It contained 2 files (gmapprom.unl) and another .gma file) to be placed in the .System folder (hidden folder). And there is where the fun started. My Nav IV doesn't seem to have a .System folder (yes, I know how to find hidden folders on m y Mac ;-) and in addition they provided a pdf with the instructions - good!). I did find the above mentioned files in the root folder and so I copied them there. Niks, nothing, nada. Still the same issue. Finally, I followed their advice to use Lifetime Updater (wich by the way still should work) to update the maps but got an error message suggesting me to contact....the Garmin HD.

I have no clue if the above has anything to do with the issue just posted by rtman but I don't think so. Found it worrying enough to flag it though. Will keep you posted on the outcome of my conversations with Garmin and - hopefully - the resolution.
    Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineGeebee

Re: Garmin Express - caution
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-04-03 07:16:50 »
      Seems Garmin just rolled out a 4.90 firmware upgrade. Maybe meant to fix the Dutch roundabout issue? Stay tuned.
      Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-04-03 08:51:42 »
        I loaded BaseCamp a couple of weeks ago.  Nowhere near as good as Mapsource but you only need to connect your GPS the once to get detailed maps.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-04-03 12:13:47 »
          Seems Garmin just rolled out a 4.90 firmware upgrade. Maybe meant to fix the Dutch roundabout issue? Stay tuned.
          As far as I know, the 'Dutch roundabout issue' is caused by the 2013.40 maps and not by the firmware. Although I must say: I've never come across one of those roundabout issues.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-03 15:27:59 »
            @ FP-NLD: but you were wondering why all these others were taking the roundabout in the wrong direction  ;)
            Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #5 on: 2013-04-03 16:14:18 »
              Problem solved and some advice.
              • The helpdesk email was misleading as the Zumo 660/Navigator IV doesn't have a .System folder: the *.gma and gmapprom.unl file go in the Garmin folder of your device (* = unique name of the file the helpdesk provides you with).
              • Don't rely only on the helpdesk: read the support section on the Garmin website  8)
              • As FP-NLD already mentioned: my issue was not related to 2013.40 map issue (which yet has to be released for the Navigator IV by the way)
              Be careful with Garmin Express... I warned you  :-X

FP-NLD, Basecamp now seems to work with fine without the GPS attached. Not too unhappy about that either as you can imagine. I did throw out all maps I had thought and now have version 2013.30 nicely installed.
              « Last Edit: 2013-04-03 16:42:20 by Geebee »
              Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-03 16:41:09 »
                2013.40 was released in January.

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-03 16:54:05 »
                  Correct for Zumo 660 for example but not available for Navigator IV now. Or was it recalled, RTman10? Any clue?
                  « Last Edit: 2013-04-03 16:56:47 by Geebee »
                  Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2013-04-03 20:54:56 »
                    Correct for Zumo 660 for example but not available for Navigator IV now. Or was it recalled, RTman10? Any clue?
                    I have a Navi IV and it has 2013.40 installed straight from Garmin Express about 3 weeks ago. Whole of Western Europe.

OfflineWarrior

« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-10 04:17:10 »
                      I just successfully loaded and used the 2013.40 US update in my 665 using Garmin Express. I had the "Can't unlock maps" or some such comment as well. Installing the firmware update took care of that.

Obviously, I've had no reverse roundabout issues here in the US. We're getting a few of them installed in more roundabout friendly agencies but not widely yet. We seem to like to stop at signals and signs and put up with gridlock. I'm biased here in that I design, install, time and maintain traffic signals. I'm not usable at roundabouts.............. :(
                      « Last Edit: 2013-07-10 04:22:19 by Warrior »
                      Jim, 2013 K1600GTL, Damask Red, USMC Vet, Once a Marine, Always a Marine!!

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2013-07-10 08:22:29 »
                        I've just uploaded update maps 2014.10 using express.

After it stated my unit was up to date, I started it up to find that no maps were on my unit at all.

I had to go to 'Device' then 'Reinstall' and load the new maps from there.

Although the unit was plugged into the laptop overnight for the updated maps, the Zumo 660 did not receive the new maps, even though the old maps were wiped from it.

It seems the unit needs the original USB cable to work correctly, as the new maps would only upload with that cable attached.

Hope this helps.

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-10 08:33:17 »

After it stated my unit was up to date, I started it up to find that no maps were on my unit at all.

I had to go to 'Device' then 'Reinstall' and load the new maps from there.

Although the unit was plugged into the laptop overnight for the updated maps, the Zumo 660 did not receive the new maps, even though the old maps were wiped from it.

It seems the unit needs the original USB cable to work correctly, as the new maps would only upload with that cable attached.

Hope this helps.
                            Its about 3 months since I did mine but I can remember that you had to shut Express down and start it again after it had done the firmware update. If you just left it on all night you might have missed that bit. Can you explain your original USB cable comment,

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                            « Reply #12 on: 2013-07-10 17:46:06 »
                            +1. Updated last week.
                            New maps are now on my Zumo, on the computer and on the laptop.
                            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #13 on: 2013-07-10 19:07:18 »
                                Its about 3 months since I did mine but I can remember that you had to shut Express down and start it again after it had done the firmware update. If you just left it on all night you might have missed that bit. Can you explain your original USB cable comment,

The original Zumo 660 I bought had a USB to Mini usb connecting cable. It has two cylinders attached to it around the cable itself, approx 50mm in from each end (To stop interference I think).

It is a quality item. You can tell by the feel of it.
                              R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                                « Reply #14 on: 2013-07-10 19:54:54 »

The original Zumo 660 I bought had a USB to Mini usb connecting cable. It has two cylinders attached to it around the cable itself, approx 50mm in from each end (To stop interference I think).

It is a quality item. You can tell by the feel of it.
                                The original Garmin cable I have is a standard USB to mini-USB cable without the cylinders you mention. The only thing identifying it is that it has 'Garmin' stamped in it.