Author Topic: I did it  (Read 1110 times)

Offlineredcar

I did it
    « on: 2013-04-17 17:25:21 »
    Will finally took the leap and sold the Goldwing for a K1600 GTL E, one question I would like help with. What is the best way to get the music / sat nav to work with your crash helmet, I don't want to go down the new BMW helmet route as both mine and my wife's are about 2 months old. The Goldwing system was plug in to the helmet headphones, I can replace them but what is the best way of doing this.
    2012 K1600GTLE sat nav iv, engine bars, 2012 F800ST

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: I did it
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-04-17 19:21:26 »
      In my opinion and the set up on my GTL E is Autocom.  No flaming bluetooth and batteries.  Its inexpensive and always works at any speed with high quality stereo. Both rider and pillion get to hear the GPS.  There are full details on this forum on fitting and kit needed.   For music just buy memory stick and plug it in.  the bike will do the rest.  Remember it only works in mp3 format 

Offlineredcar

« Reply #2 on: 2013-04-17 20:24:00 »
        Many thanks, will search forums, if I can't find may ask for link :)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-17 20:59:10 »
          There is a lot of discussion on this forum on this subject.  All you need is a Logic Kit 2 and a Part 2273.  2273 connects the Autocom directly to the alpine unit either at the speakers or more easily where the speakers go into the unit its-self.  I would be amazed if your dealer had not already done some.  You then control everything from the bars.  If you want to connect your phone I suggest the bluetooth dongle from Autocom connected directly to the Logic unit.  This works best on auto answer,  The GPS is a long way forward on a GTL so not easy to reach to accept calls.

Offlineredcar

« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-17 21:44:26 »
            I'm seeing dealer Saturday to finalise paperwork will ask them, not interested in phone calls, riding time is my time :)

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-04-17 22:38:49 »
              Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum.
              I use the Autocom SPA as well, but I don't have the radio on the bike. I listen to the media player on my Zumo 660. My phone is connected to the Zumo and my wife's phone is connected to the Autocom through a bluetooth dongle.
              Many safe miles.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-30 23:38:44 »
                Hi,
                I'm an Autocom fan too, I've had the same 'unit' about 10 years and as a new bike has come along I've always got the dealer to swap it from 'old' bike to new one.
                They can be a relatively expensive initial layout but apart from replacing a head set mine hasn't needed anything else in 10 years.
                A mate with a 1600 also swears by the autocom set up, although another mate bought new helmets and uses the blue tooth option without any problems.

Speighty
                Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

Offlinerandka

« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-04 21:59:02 »
                  had autocoms for a few years now and have today picked up the latest spa model, spent this afternoon fitting it to my GTLE, for now I have got it plugged into the aux socket under the seat, there is engine noise coming through the ear pieces, is it because of this or the fact I have the unit strapped to the alpine unit, where is the best/easiest place to get a clean switched feed, would appreciate any experiences folks have had with this.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-05 08:45:31 »
                    Mine is connected to the same socket but from behind, not with  a plug.  My dealer locates the unit behind the panel on the right hand side just in front of the rear brake resouvor.  It held on with a velcro. I have a Logic so you might it a tight fit with an SPA.  Engine noise through the system is normally associated with the routing of the power cable so you could start by just moving that around a bit.

Offlinerandka

« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-05 09:03:43 »
                      Thanks RT man10, we are going out shortly on the Gtle to find somewhere for breakfast... probably 100 miles away! so will be the first time we have tried the new autocom, will go out now and move the power leads away and route them along the frame, cheers.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-05 09:59:42 »
                        I will be not far from you at about midday in Boughton on the Water,  In the main car park.

Offlinerandka

« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-05 16:37:07 »
                          ended up in Weston RTman10, bashed down the M5 and a nice sedate trip back up the A38 to Worcester, Weston was full of Harleys! cup of tea and a bacon butty on the front in the sun, the autocom worked pretty good considering it was the first time out, needs a slight adjustment with the vox that's all, altered the power lead to run near the frame from the aux and there was no engine noise to worry about, just got to make my mind up if I want to splice into the speaker wires now, just a bit concerned it could ruin the BMW warranty, think the best bet is to source some posi-taps.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-05 17:54:36 »
                            Glad the Autocom is fixed.  Your right, Harleys everywhere but the Fish & Chips were good.  Splicing into you audio unit is easy enough and the instructions with the correct cable explains it for an RT.  Its the same set up on the Alpine unit.  It does give you perfect sound and of course sound from your GPS to both headsets. If your not sure Pidcocks in Lond Eaton are probable the worlds experts in doing it.  Takes about an hour.

anything