Author Topic: Top box for my about to be new K1600- anyone know if a R1200RT top box will fit?  (Read 1041 times)

OfflineDavo

The dealer is offering nothing extra in the deal for my top box, but wants another $1200 for the K box.
    I can do without the central locking feature, so anyone know if they will fit?
    2010 RT1200, 2006 RT1200, '98 Tiumph Trophy 900

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      I've heard of several people on another K1600 forum who have fitted a R1200 top case on a K1600 so it should be possible.
      https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/13282-r1200rt-topcase-gt.html
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
        I can confirm that it does fit perfectly.

I have done exactly the same thing.

£850.00 for a plastic box with BMW stamped on it is plain ridiculous. The new shaped box does look good though.

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          Not that it makes that much difference but as well as the central locking facility and the option of a very good brake light. the K box is much lighter than the RT one and is possibly a bit more secure with the the rack locking mechanism being inside. Colour matched as well, 

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
            I agree Mr RTman, but the new K box has one major flaw IMHO.

There is no handle to remove it from the bike, which in my opinion is just plain daft, and a oversight by BMW.

Pete. (Who really would like a K topbox, but is just to bloody tight)
            R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
              Havnt noticed the lack of a carrying handle being an inconvenience.  I put the box on in May 2011 and its never been off since.  I do remember removing the RT one once when it was full.  Nearly pulled my arms out out their sockets.   

OfflineDavo

Thanks guys, looks like GT ownership just got closer!
                2010 RT1200, 2006 RT1200, '98 Tiumph Trophy 900

Offlinechrisvh

I used the top box off my 1200RT and it fits perfectly. Had it resprayed for about £120 locally and it looks great.

anything