Author Topic: Drive train  (Read 1264 times)

Offlinerandka

Drive train
    « on: 2013-04-28 21:14:52 »
    Hi all, I have taken the plunge and just bought a 18 month old 1600 GTLE from a BMW dealer after taking out a nearly new demo bike, been riding boxers for the last 12 years with out a problem and have gone from an RT  to the K, the 1600 is an awesome bike but my issue is the final drive clonking, its real disappointing especially when in slow traffic when you are on and off the throttle alot but it is noticeable in any situation, my question is, is it a quirk of this bike which I am just going to have to get used to,  is it common on this bike and nothing to worry about?  its a real shame as it was an expensive purchase and was expecting better.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Drive train
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-04-29 08:15:10 »
      There has been a mountain of discussion on this over the last 2 years.  Yes they all have some transmission snatch at the rear drive but some owners are more aware of it than others. The whole system is much heavier than it is on a boxer and is coping with 50+ more hp.  There has also been an issue with the clutch basket that can make things a whole lot worse. I know of two owners who complained so much this was changed under warranty.  In both cases they said their bikes were much improved.  It is said that the 2013 bikes have nowhere near as much clunking.  As you have ridden a presumably new demo bike you should be able to gauge the difference and point this out to your dealer.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-04-29 10:56:13 »
        Hi all, I have taken the plunge and just bought a 18 month old 1600 GTLE from a BMW dealer after taking out a nearly new demo bike, been riding boxers for the last 12 years with out a problem and have gone from an RT  to the K, the 1600 is an awesome bike but my issue is the final drive clonking, its real disappointing especially when in slow traffic when you are on and off the throttle alot but it is noticeable in any situation, my question is, is it a quirk of this bike which I am just going to have to get used to,  is it common on this bike and nothing to worry about?  its a real shame as it was an expensive purchase and was expecting better.
        Congrats on the bike and welcome aboard.
        For me it's my first BMW. but have always ridden bikes with drive shafts (Moto Guzzi, Honda Pan European and now K1600). I've read several complaints by others on the clonking as well. I do notice it some time, but apparently it's not s bad as with others. It's does indeed seem to be a quirk of this bike, but it doesn't bother me much. Also, I try to avoid slow traffic as much as possible  ;D .
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #3 on: 2013-04-29 12:10:25 »
          ................. I try to avoid slow traffic as much as possible  ;D .

;D;D;D
          Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlineislandbob

« Reply #4 on: 2013-04-29 17:49:54 »
            Hi Ranka, As RTMAN10 quite rights says, the 2013 does seem to be less clonky. I bought a 2012 gtle in Oct and like you was very disappointed with the drive train clonk, initial indications were that it was normal but for me it was still rather annoying. In January this year my bike developed a fault resulting in me having a GT on loan for a few days and I was surprised to note that the clonky drive train was still there but far far less noticeable. As it happens the fault with my bike was serious and I ended up having it replaced with a new 2013 model which so far has, like the GT proved to be significantly less clonky than the first bike. I was told that it was nothing to worry about and that as has been mentioned it is down to the weight / HP delevered that the mechanics are so heavy but non the less Im a lot happier with a smoother transmission. Welcome to the K1600.
            Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-04-29 21:31:12 »
              I've never noticed any 'clonk'............. When does it happen ?

But then, I've never looked for it.................
              R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

Offlinerandka

« Reply #6 on: 2013-04-29 22:19:39 »
                Thanks for the replies,  I spoke to the dealer today about something else but mentioned the noisy driveline, he is more than happy to have the bike in to check it, he said some bikes were noisier  than others and my bike had been through the approved used check and was fine, it is clunky though, I couldn't help taking the bike out when I got in from work tonight, away from the clunk it is truly an awesome addictive bike to ride, put it in dynamic and sport mode and had a blast.

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #7 on: 2013-04-30 23:24:22 »
                  What engine mode do you use in 'slow traffic'  ? I tend use dynamic most of the time when out of town but usually select road or rain for town riding, seems to take most of the 'clunk' out of the drive.
                  Ian
                  Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

Offlinerandka

« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-01 23:05:13 »
                    Hi Ian, so far have mainly riding in normal/road mode although Tuesday tried the dynamic/sport mode, will try what you suggest next time I am in town traffic,   I am adjusting to the egas throttle more now it is very light and doesn't marry very well to the transmission/drive line IMO, the more I ride the bike I will probably change my habits to suit the bike although after 37 years of riding I have never had to think about how I ride to suit the bikes shortcomings.

OfflineBrick

« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-02 02:27:40 »
                      I've just been through what your going through. After 4 months I was ready to trade the GT in just prior to doing my big trip. My local dealer got a "Wasser boxer" GS in about 5 days before leaving, if it had possible to arrange a trade in 4 days, the GT would now be gone. After riding 10,000km on every type if road you can think of, I changed my riding style and settled into the bike quickly. Now I'm completely comfortable with it, you'll need a shot gun and a crow bar to pry the keys from my cold dead hand. Once your comfortable with it, anything is possible. Last night I dropped the clutch in first  from just over 3000rpm and managed a power wheelie across the intersection away from an idiot at a set of traffic lights. The K1600 is like a Swiss Army knife, its a handy tool to do almost anything.  ;)
                      « Last Edit: 2013-05-02 02:30:42 by Brick »

OfflineJP6SIX

• K1600GT since 17032012
                        « Reply #10 on: 2013-05-03 18:02:54 »
                        I agree totally. I am also able  now, after one year, to play with it like a toy when I was five. :)

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-03 19:38:30 »

Welcome to the forum!A clonk aka "the clunk" is a thread we were missing here  8)
                          And please, don't take it personal. It's just that the clunk (or driveline lash),not to be mixed up with shifting in first gear, has stirred up things in almost every K1600 forum I am frequenting.
                          Geebee - K1600GT

Offlinerandka

« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-04 22:08:09 »
                            have so far reduced the 'clonk/clunk' 60% by probably just getting used the really light throttle, its only a week today from picking the bike up so still getting into it, think there will always be a noise there especially in slow traffic, in spite of this though its a cracking bike and cant wait to go for a good run tomorrow two up for breakfast somewhere.

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #13 on: 2013-05-05 08:16:28 »
                              On a totally unrelated topic. Where are you from randka?
                              Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineBob S

« Reply #14 on: 2013-05-05 12:56:19 »
                                On a totally unrelated topic. Where are you from randka?

Looking at his avatar I would think he is in England.
                                2012 K1600GT-SE

anything