Author Topic: Ignition start / kill switch  (Read 1926 times)

Offlinestevebrine

• Steve Brine
    Ignition start / kill switch
    « on: 2013-05-07 12:37:17 »
    Hello, I recently purchased a K1600 GTL and it has just had it's first 1,000km service. The ignition start/kill switch appears faulty. The symptom is that sometimes the engine will not turn over after the ignition has been turned on and I have waited for 5-10 seconds. By switching to the "Kill" position and back to start, the engine will start, however sometimes it sounds as if the battery is nearly flat. This is all with a bike straight off the showroom floor. I have no other complaints, the GTL is a great bike. The service/dealer has ordered a replacement switch and it will arrive in a week or so. I'm just surprised to experience this issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Cheers: Steve, (Australia)

OfflineBrick

Re: Ignition start / kill switch
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-05-07 13:20:13 »
      Ohh, kill switch is the right hand bar. Everyone knows the left dies first. Gee talk about low standards, it seems even BMW can't manage to get their stuff ups right. ;)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-05-07 15:58:03 »
        Could even be a bad battery, not the switch. Did they test it or just assume it was the switch.  Also have you had any extras wired in.

Offlinemrblue27

« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-13 01:18:55 »

Immediately after the first ride I reported the following:
          1 very loud running transmission
          2 working very noisy gearbox - switching each gear
          3 missing the ability to run the horn - back when you turn off the motorcycle
          4 starter sometime reacts that he could not turn the engine
          5 Turn up the sound system as the speed increases - despite the fact that this feature is disabled
          In BMW service - they said - everything is OK :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhK_vOqZSok

Offlinestevebrine

• Steve Brine
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-05-20 12:47:02 »
            It turns out that the ignition/kill switch block was faulty. The dealer has replaced it under warranty promptly and effectively. The bike now starts as it should. I guess mine was the 1 in 1000 that fails. Cheers.

Onlinegriffis

« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-22 14:11:46 »
              It turns out that the ignition/kill switch block was faulty. The dealer has replaced it under warranty promptly and effectively. The bike now starts as it should. I guess mine was the 1 in 1000 that fails. Cheers.
              My new 2013 gtl will not start if it is left in the sun/heat over 85°, has to be moved into AC garage to cool down before starter works.  Dealer thinks it's the hb switch, will soon have switch replaced under warranty.

Sent from my Vzr Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-21 01:08:19 »
                Thats not good, have been doing a lot of reading on the high temp starter switch failing problem, a mate had the problem on holiday this year. Somewhere I read that the switches had been fixed and improved ones had been fitted since august 2012. Oh dear it appears not and heress me just put a deposit down on a GTL. Mate has posted a pick with a small cocktail stick umbrella covering the switch in the sun, reckons BMW should fit it as standard.
                how much Mr BMW ?

Offlineledders12

« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-25 17:44:18 »
                  Every K16 should have one  ;)

Offlinevictoryneal

« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-26 01:23:13 »
                    I stopped today left the bike in the sun came back and it would not start went back in the store got a cold bottle of water poured it on the start button and the bike then turned over and started Great now I have to carry oil and water on ice

Offlineledders12

« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-26 11:13:24 »
                      Friends of mine on tour in Europe found a bag of frozen fruit placed on the offending switch worked too (even though it was on a new RT - with new switchgear).  Much better than water though, as it then made a nice smoothie ;D .  Perhaps an in built cool box should be an option on all new BMW's ;)

anything