Author Topic: PR3's and the K1600GT  (Read 2741 times)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
    PR3's and the K1600GT
    « on: 2013-05-11 16:41:40 »
    I've read that loads of people put these on their K1600GT, even though they are not listed/recommended officially for the bike.[/size]I have in the past looked for them on the official Michellin web site, using their 'search by bike' feature. And the K16 is not listed for a tyre fittment.Well I have looked today, and the K1600GT is now listed, and the PR3's are the recommended tyre.Good news ! !
    R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: PR3's and the K1600GT
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-05-11 20:11:12 »
      When I needed new tires more than six months ago, I checked and at that time the PR3's were approved for the K1600 by Michelin, so I had them fitted. A month later several discussions started and Michelin withdrew the PR3 for the K1600. Apparently they did some more testing and/or made some changes to the tire, because now it's back.
      BTW, just checked the Dutch Michelin site and the K1600 is still not listed there. Probably takes some time to 'synchronise'.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-19 23:32:37 »

Hi,

Michelin now have the PR3's listed on their web site as fitment for the K1600GT, and as I'm in the process of about to change my tyres I will be fitting these.

My bike came with Z8's fitted as standard,  I've done 4500 miles and they were getting low so have been doing daily checks but today I left girlfriends house with the tyres still looking 'ok', got home 75 miles later, metal cord showing !!! I'm shocked at how quickly they gone through, the nearest 'ware marker' is no where near it's limit.

I'm also disappointed with the relatively low mileage they've achieved, especially when you consider the first 600 - 1000ish miles were gentle 'running in' mileage, plus whenever I'm two up the speeds are much gentler and usually in 'Road' mode rather then when out playing on my own, and nearly all the mileage has been done on A and B roads, in fact the amount of motorway mileage I've done is probably less than 500 of 4500 total so they're not even 'squared off' !
        Ian

Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-20 00:42:43 »
          Get Kim on a diet.... ;)
          Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineBrick

« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-20 03:38:50 »
            I had a new front Z8 fitted in my last service while touring last month. The dealer thought the rear was good for at least another 3000km. I got 120km before it started shifting in corners. Z8's are great until they wear reaches a certain level, then they die overnight.

The Z8 I put on as a replacement on the rear has just done 8000km and is close to history. Nice grip, crap run life. I'll be trying something else next time.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-05-20 10:02:52 »
              Michelin now have the PR3's listed on their web site as fitment for the K1600GT, and as I'm in the process of about to change my tyres I will be fitting these.

Ian
              Funny. I do see them listed on the UK Michelin site, but still not on the NLD Michelin site. Probably something to do with local approval. Either that or they want you in the UK to test them out for us  ;D .
              That said, I have ridden the PR3s for over 6000 kms and they are still great. Next set will be PR3 again; whether officially approved by then or not.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-21 00:05:22 »
                Get Kim on a diet.... ;)

Haha....gonna be fun watching her disembowel you for that next time we're out....you have been warned !!!
                Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-21 00:51:22 »

Haha....gonna be fun watching her disembowel you for that next time we're out....you have been warned !!!

Ooops......
                  Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-30 11:21:51 »
                    Already posted this in the Pirelli thread, but it is specific to these tyres

01/07/13

Pirelli Angel GT's changed at 14470 miles.  Roughly 5.5k out of them, so not too bad.Really went off big style in last 600 miles, thought the suspension had been compromised!When they came off my tyre fitter said they were starting to crack around the circumference as they were getting close to the structure, albeit there was just over a mm left and even more to the wear bars.  They were visibly past it, and had squared off very flat!Front still had about 2-2.5mm left but had also squared of which had stopped it rolling so nicely into corners.Now fitted with PR3's again, which wore better than the GT's (about 6.5k)The GT's are very good tyres, and great in the wet, comparable with the PR3's but not with the same longevity.The PR3's are not the upgraded ones.  These won't be in the UK until August at the earliest.For info though, the side walls of the GT's were very pliable, similar to the PR3's but the carcass was also very flexible, almost as if the belting had given up.I compared them with a Bridgestone which had been taken off and the sidewalls on that (and carcass) were like steel, really stiff.

30/07/13

17050 Miles on the PR3's now and they are superb.  Rode in torrential rain a few times and also damp/wet - feels like riding in the dry!

I will be sticking with PR3's (unless I decide to give the Dunlops RS2 a try!??!)

Rear and front still have about 3.5-4mm and have not noticably squared off.

« Last Edit: 2013-07-30 11:24:54 by Winston Smith »

OfflineBob S

« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-30 22:41:06 »
                      Rear PR3 on my GT only lasted 4400 miles and the wear pattern was bizarre to say the least. I must be one of the few who was totally underwhelmed by them.
                      2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2013-08-01 20:46:41 »
                        A bit of info on Michelin tyres.

Michelin tyres are repairable if punctured. Apparently Michelin are the only brand to use kevlar reinforcing in their carcasses, as opposed to Steel in the other brands.

If a tyre is repaired professionally, they have to drill out the hole to fit the plug. This can lead to drilling the steel and compromising the reinforcing. This is not a problem with a kevlar reinforced tyre.

Just a thought.....................
                        R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #11 on: 2013-08-21 00:20:41 »
                          Left for Europe with an almost brand new set of PR3's on my last bike, GTR1400.
                          Seemed ok for a bit but when down in the Pyrannese region the bike started handling like a pig and the back tyre was wearing really badly. Pressures were spot on and I wasent riding hard. Eventually got a puncture and had to have tyre changed, PR2 fitted.
                          Bike back to normal, home now with plenty miles on tyre and everything still fine. Think I must have had a rouge PR3 but has put me off trying them again
                          how much Mr BMW ?