Author Topic: Gearboxes/Clutches replaced  (Read 1557 times)

OfflineTree543

Gearboxes/Clutches replaced
    « on: 2013-05-17 03:17:06 »
    Has anyone got anything in writing from their BMW dealer showing their replacement gearboxes or clutches?
    I need written proof to show my local dealer so I can have mine replaced also.
    I just want to be able to enjoy my K1600 with out having to listen to all those noises!

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Gearboxes/Clutches replaced
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-05-17 08:50:09 »
      In my experience you do not get any paperwork when you have warranty work done. You are just asked to sign for the work done.  BMW are not going to swap a gearbox unless it has a fault ie not changing gear or damaged parts.  The noises are mainly caused by the clutch basket looking at this thread and I would suggest you get your dealer to compare your bike with other ones they have. You dont say how long you have had the bike or what the mileage is.  If you have swapped from a chain driven bike it will take some time to re-learn smooth quiet gear changing.   

Offlineoldbiker

« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-19 04:18:13 »
        A bmw owner I know bought a1600 sixer and had loads of problems.Engine oil leak, switch gear repeadedly replaced. He has been given a new bike under warranty on a "13" plate and says the transmission has improved,compared to his original bike. Best of luck. 

OfflineBigdawg

« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-22 05:03:06 »
          aka: Steve;  '12 K1600GTL, '05 Honda, VTX1800N Custom, '90 Honda Magna 750, '80 Honda Hawk 400

OfflineNorseman_K16GT

« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-07 22:52:15 »
            I'm getting my gearbox replaced due to the fact that it tends to slip into free from 5'th.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

OfflineJim

« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-08 12:23:51 »
              Have had a few things done under warranty now on the GTL now & never had anything in writing to confirm. On the subject of gearbox, mine on occasions has slipped from (can't remember if its 4th or 5th) to a lower gear but I have just put this down to me not being firm enough with the gear change, would say its happened about half a dozen times in 7500 miles. Should I be concerned?
              2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineNorseman_K16GT

« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-08 15:50:01 »
                Have had a few things done under warranty now on the GTL now & never had anything in writing to confirm. On the subject of gearbox, mine on occasions has slipped from (can't remember if its 4th or 5th) to a lower gear but I have just put this down to me not being firm enough with the gear change, would say its happened about half a dozen times in 7500 miles. Should I be concerned?

Well, it's hard to say, but it sounds like the same issue. On a 400 km ride last week, it happened twice. One after going down from 6'th, and once up from 4'th. Really not good, since I entered a turn, releasing throttle a little bit before going on again. Just as I began to twist, it went into free for a second before the teeth in there made some bad crunching noises before it suddenly banged into 4'th. Not good, if you ask me. Oil level is perfect. I hope the new tranny is in there before going on vacation with the beloved bike of mine.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-08 20:21:03 »
                  Symtoms seem to suggest the gear had not full engaged.  Its always been necessary to change gear with gusto (firmly) on all BM's Ive owned.  My GTLE is a very early 2011 one and I cannot remember it ever dropping into a false neutral.

OfflineNorseman_K16GT

« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-09 02:41:25 »
                    Symtoms seem to suggest the gear had not full engaged.  Its always been necessary to change gear with gusto (firmly) on all BM's Ive owned.  My GTLE is a very early 2011 one and I cannot remember it ever dropping into a false neutral.

Agree, but after going down from 6'th, well established in 5'th, then free before banging down into 4'th doesnt seem like a faulty shift from me, or?

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-09 08:41:15 »
                      Lets hope your replacement box solves the problem.  Depending on the age of your GT you should find the new box much quieter

OfflineNorseman_K16GT

« Reply #10 on: 2013-06-09 23:23:56 »
                        Lets hope your replacement box solves the problem.  Depending on the age of your GT you should find the new box much quieter

Thanks. It's a may 2011 production, so it's quite old :)