Author Topic: Trickle Charge new 1600 with BMW Charger  (Read 974 times)

OfflineFdk1600gt

Trickle Charge new 1600 with BMW Charger
    « on: 2013-05-20 02:51:23 »
    Plugged in my BMW charger into BMW plug on bike but charger is not working.  Do I need to turn ignition key on off for can bus to recognize charger.   I'm concerned if I do this I may damage one of the electrical components.   No ref in owners manual other than taking battery out to charge.   

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Trickle Charge new 1600 with BMW Charger
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-05-20 08:48:52 »
      When you plug in the charger to the bike and the mains the power light should come on followed by all the lights for a second or two.  Then it should just start to charge.  If the power and error light comes on you have a problem.  Older canbus bikes sometimes required you to switch the ignition on and them off again before the charger would work.  I have never known this on a 1600.  Try it anyway, you wont damage anything.  If you have connected anything else to the socket this could also upset the charger.  If no lights at all come on the charger is probably defective. 

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        Re: Trickle Charge new 1600 with BMW Charger
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-05-20 09:53:07 »
        AFAIK you have to to turn on the ignition, then connect the charger, then switch off the ignition. That's the only way I got it to work. Just attaching the charger with the ignition off won't 'wake up' the CAN bus.
        Other option is to connect it to the battery directly (but fused).

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)