Author Topic: Spline drive lube?  (Read 1406 times)

OfflineBrick

Spline drive lube?
    « on: 2013-05-26 09:39:50 »
    I've just done oil and air filter changes as part of a 20k service. I have to get some oil for the final drive during the week. While I have the rear apart I figure on my previous K bikes I've done a spline lube once a year.

I can't find any references to doing a spline lube on the K1600. I'm guessing with the rear tyre removed, I remove the upper and lower link bolts to remove the FD to access the drive shaft, then use Optimol white T paste like my other bikes?

Any one else done this one?

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Spline drive lube?
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-05-26 10:29:25 »
      I have not done this kind of surgery on the bike, but the manual says to use Optimoly TA (High-temperature assembly grease). Is that  the same you mentioned?
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBrick

« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-27 01:22:27 »
        Yep! Looks a lot like zinc cream. BMW have been recommending it since day one as far as I know. I've been using it on splines for at least 14 years that I've owned K bikes.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-23 00:42:10 »
          I use the spline lube from Beemer Boneyard.  It is a medium gray moly lube.  It has worked well for my former k1200's.  Beemer Boneyard is still getting together a 12k maintenance kit for the K1600.  Beemer Boneyard should have something soon.  BMW is a rip off $$$ for any parts.  About the only thing I buy directly from BMW is their Air Filter. 

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-22 04:35:53 »
            My Understanding is to DO NOT USE Moly on the new BMW splines.  Use: https://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38717  I've always used moly but think this is worth mentioning

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-23 05:45:46 »
              Sorry for the misinformation.  Beemer Boneyard does recommend the Molly.  They tried both and the BMW antisieze drys out and the spline can be ruined.  I've use Molly on both my K1200's and very happy.  I personally recommend Molly myself.