Author Topic: Rear seat heating  (Read 852 times)

OfflineSwampash57

• K1600GT light grey 2012
    Rear seat heating
    « on: 2013-06-07 18:43:19 »
    Hi all
    Has anybody had any trouble with rear seat heating, as my wife has suffered a very nasty full depth burn to her linside top leg where it rests on the edge of the seat with the heat setting on low or one.
    Will be taking the bike in for investigation by dealers next week, will post the results.

OfflineGeebee

Re: Rear seat heating
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-06-07 19:03:57 »
      Wow, first time I read about such a case. I hope your wife will be fine. Something like that should not happen for sure.
      Unfortunately, cannot help you as I rarely drive with a pillion and they rear seat heating hasn't even been switched on.
      Keep us posted.
      Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-06-07 19:36:37 »
        Sorry to hear about the incident. Hope your wife will be all right and is not scared out of riding.
        If it gets that hot, does it melt the seat cover?
        I have no experience with the rear seat heating. My wife loves riding but when temperatures drop to a level that you need the heating, it's already to cold for her anyway.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSwampash57

« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-07 20:44:55 »
          Thanks for the concern the burn is healing well,she sayes she will still ride but not with the heater on she would rather freez her fa??y off.
          No marks on the seat but their is a ridge on each edge of the seat don't know if that has any bearing on this problem.

Once again thanks for the concern

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-08 12:33:28 »
            My wife rides with the rear seat heating on full most of the time & has never had a problem with burning her legs, I assume she is not wearing riding gear at the time? Either way this should not happen, something is far wrong. Switch the heating on, let it get up to temp with no one sitting on it & touch it all over with your hand & see if there are any hot spots, if there is would take it back & show your dealer & ask to get the seat replaced. Glad to hear your wife is healing well & its not put her off riding.
            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineSwampash57

« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-08 14:07:53 »
              Thanks Jim

We where riding rain with full weather kit on, I've not used the heater since and the dealer will be testing this out, my confidence in the k  has gone, I'm looking to change to Triumph or BMW RT.

OfflineSwampash57

« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-14 08:33:44 »
                Hi All

I'm sad to say the "K" has GONE, had enough , as for the  seat heater problem dealer tested it and nothing found, BMW made a token jesture of £250. UK pounds for the trouble I've had with the bike and could not accept the liability for my wife's injury.
                It's a fluke as to how it happened, I sent them photographs of the injury and explained about the conditions and the weight of the passenger as to try to give them an insight  as to what happened but to no avail, the wife sayes she will never use any sort of seat heater again.
                I've now got a special edition RT and it's like an old friend the gear box is smooth as silk and a lot lighter.

To all thanks for reading my blogs and showing some concern about my wife's injury.