Author Topic: Inner oil plug stripped  (Read 1045 times)

Offlinedk_cool

Inner oil plug stripped
    « on: 2013-06-14 02:48:19 »
    While doing the run in service the inner oil sump plug stripped. Any ideas how to get it out?

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Inner oil plug stripped
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-06-14 08:38:37 »
      I have to ask but why were you doing the first service.  I suspect the cost of repairing the damage will be much greater than the service cost at the dealer.  In UK you would also have warranty issues.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-14 09:34:36 »
        Not true about warranty issues in the UK. I have been doing my own oil and filter changes on my bikes for years with no issues on the warranty front whatsoever. In fact my dealer is happy to stamp my service book even though I have changed the oil. The only time there could be issues is if there is a claim made as a result of work carried out by the owner incorrectly which has caused a problem.
        2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-06-14 12:35:14 »
          Not true about warranty issues in the UK. I have been doing my own oil and filter changes on my bikes for years with no issues on the warranty front whatsoever. In fact my dealer is happy to stamp my service book even though I have changed the oil. The only time there could be issues is if there is a claim made as a result of work carried out by the owner incorrectly which has caused a problem.
          Oil and filter I agree, but doing the 600 mile first service is I think pushing it a bit as the bike is then unlikely to see anything else for a further 6000 miles,

OfflineDave

« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-01 21:46:51 »
            Took my bike in for it's 600 mile service the other week to my local dealer.
            When trying to remove the sump plug it stripped. According to the mechanic, this is the second one they have had. He recons they are putting them in to tight at the factory. Apparently it only needs 12 Nm and there is no crush washer, it's a face to face seal. He got the plug out by hammering in a multi spline tool into the sump plug and replaced the plug.

Dave

OfflineJim

« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-02 15:00:57 »
              Could it be because the castings are made out of cheese?
              2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineBrick

« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-13 01:46:49 »
                Could it be because the castings are made out of cheese?
                Makes sense. Most of the other fasteners on BMW's are made out of cheese curd, why not something like the inner sump plug?