Author Topic: Service Reminder Light  (Read 967 times)

OfflineV-MAN

• V-MAN's Personal Site
Service Reminder Light
« on: 2013-06-29 21:08:04 »
Hey Guys  -
I have looked everywhere and I'm coming up with no answer/solution.  I was hoping maybe somebody here may have the answer.  I love my 1600GT but I have three other motorcycles so milage gets split up ...
I only have 4K miles on the GT but it's a year old so I now have the "SERVICE" light lit on my dash.  I would like to reset the light ... I don't plan on another service till 6K miles. I also don't want to take the GT to a dealer and get charged for an hour ($97.00) to reset it! Is there a way to reset the light ourselves? I have a GS911 I use for my service work on my GSA but the 911 can't talk to the new computer on the GT   ???
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Don
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything

Offlinebill harr

• Bill and Veronica's Travel Blog
Re: Service Reminder Light
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-29 21:46:33 »
Sad but you have to have the dealer do it >:(

I just forget about it,

Keep your best wheel forward.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
    « Reply #2 on: 2013-06-29 22:01:28 »
    No way to get round this except for going to the dealer or getting used to ignoring the reminder.
    Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineV-MAN

• V-MAN's Personal Site
    « Reply #3 on: 2013-06-29 22:11:34 »
    Thank you both ... I was afraid that was going to be the case ... I was headed out on trip tomorrow, think I'll take the GT and get a little closer to that 6K service!!

Don

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      « Reply #4 on: 2013-06-29 22:24:48 »
      Remember though the service intervals are 6K or 12 months whichever comes first.Hence the light.

OfflineV-MAN

• V-MAN's Personal Site
      « Reply #5 on: 2013-06-29 22:43:14 »
      Remember though the service intervals are 6K or 12 months whichever comes first.Hence the light.
      Thanks RT, I always change the oil(s) before the bikes go away for winter.  My problem dropping new oil with 300 miles (max) on fluids just because it reached the 12 calendar month ... I will hit 6k in next 4-6 weeks and then schedule service.  I believe the 12 month they state is geared more to getting the bike to dealer for service ($$$)  NOT that damage will occur!  I believe and I maintain all my vehicles according to miles and not time ... although I do change all my fluids in all the bikes before they are put down for winter storage due to contaminated oil ...

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #6 on: 2013-06-30 12:07:01 »
        If you hit 6k in 4-6 weeks and then have the service, it's no problem.
        I scheduled a service after 1 year and 10000km (occurred at the same time),but due to an ankle injury playing volleyball I wasn't able to bring it in for service until almost two months later. No big deal. Of course I could not ride the bike in those two months  :( .
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

anything