Author Topic: 2013 Euro jaunt.  (Read 2655 times)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
    2013 Euro jaunt.
    « on: 2013-07-01 18:53:14 »
    Four of us did a little trip into europe a few weeks ago.

Uk to Calais, Dusseldorf to put the bikes on the Autozug, wake up in Innsbrucj, Austria. Rode the Grossglockner, then into Itally for the Stelvio. Through Switzerland into south Germany. Up the B500 to Baden Baden. Bastogne in Belgium, then Dunkirk and home.

9 days, and 1854 miles. The best road was the B500 south of Baden Baden. Probably the best road I have ever ridden.................. Biking Nirvana !

A few pics............. https://s376.photobucket.com/user/nerarider/library/Facebook/2013%20Euro%20trip?sort=2&page=1
    R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: 2013 Euro jaunt.
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-07-01 19:44:42 »
      Sounds like a great trip.
      I already did the B500 (Schwarzwaldhochstrasse or 'Black forest high street'). It is indeed a wonderful road. Stelvio is still on my wish list.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinechrisvds

« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-02 06:46:52 »
        If you liked it, then you certainly will like this trip. Did it with a couple of friends 3 weeks ago. No highways, only the best pieces from the Belgian Ardennes, over the Eifel, through the Vosges, up to Switserland, and then back via Black forest, Eifel, to the Belgian Ardennes. But be carefull. This road eats tires  ??????
        Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-07-02 18:31:40 »
          These look very nice as well. Do you have a Garmin file with these routes?
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinechrisvds

« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-02 19:34:26 »
            Yes I have, if you  send me a message with your email adress, I will forward it to you.
            Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-07-02 19:40:31 »
              PM sent

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-25 20:21:43 »
                Gargy, a great trip (report)! When were you guys at the Grossglockner? My friends and I were there on July 3rd.
                Trip report to be posted soon.

Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2013-07-27 16:22:14 »
                  Gargy, a great trip (report)! When were you guys at the Grossglockner? My friends and I were there on July 3rd.
                  Trip report to be posted soon.

[size=78%]
                  [/size]
                  [size=78%]The trip started 06/06/2013, and we returned to the UK 13/06/13, so I'm pretty sure the Grossglockner was on the 08/06/13.[/size]
                  R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-28 23:57:26 »
                    Hi,

Great sounding trip. Me and 7 mates have just completed a similar route, Hull to Zeebruge,  then across for 1 night in Kehl near Strasbourg, then some B500 and down to Fussen on the Germany/Austrian border for 4 nights. Various ride outs including Stelvio (of course) and then north for 2 nights in Cochem.....oh yes and a visit to the Nurburgring  ;)  and home. Bikes were 5 K1600GT's, a K1200GT, an Aprillia RSV and  a Ducati Monster. Total mileage was apprx 1900 miles. 
                    Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-29 11:04:08 »
                      Sounds like a trip I just did.... ;)
                      Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-29 15:53:52 »
                        Sounds like a trip I just did.... ;)

Haha, and wasn't it bloody fantastic !!
                        Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-29 22:34:46 »
                          Hell yeah!
                          Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OnlineDavidMcK

« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-02 18:44:00 »
                            Hi All, sitting in Feldkirch in  Austria as I write this. Just done 1,500 miles in five days from Northern Ireland to Folkestone then Channel Tunnel to Calais. I hooked up with an Horizon mini tour to the Alps in Folkestone  and did four days with them, Furka Pass, Fuela Pass, Stelvio and a few others.  I have to say the Stelvio was the most difficult pass I have ever done and i have done a few of them.  60 hairpins in total and 48 consecutive. Glad I done it but won't be rushing back.  Taking a K16 up this thing fully loaded with luggage was technically difficult, the bike overheated twice and I thought I would have to give up at one stage, but brute force and ignorance won the day.  If you are thinking of doing this take a small bike, that's my advice.  We did another pass, I will have to look it up, but it was cobblestones for about the last three miles and again that was tough, my advice make sure you have the bike in something other than dynamic mode and the suspension set to something other than sport if you are trying to ride a K16 on cobblestones.

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #13 on: 2013-08-02 19:56:11 »
                              Hi All, sitting in Feldkirch in  Austria as I write this. Just done 1,500 miles in five days from Northern Ireland to Folkestone then Channel Tunnel to Calais. I hooked up with an Horizon mini tour to the Alps in Folkestone  and did four days with them, Furka Pass, Fuela Pass, Stelvio and a few others.  I have to say the Stelvio was the most difficult pass I have ever done and i have done a few of them.  60 hairpins in total and 48 consecutive. Glad I done it but won't be rushing back.  Taking a K16 up this thing fully loaded with luggage was technically difficult, the bike overheated twice and I thought I would have to give up at one stage, but brute force and ignorance won the day.  If you are thinking of doing this take a small bike, that's my advice.  We did another pass, I will have to look it up, but it was cobblestones for about the last three miles and again that was tough, my advice make sure you have the bike in something other than dynamic mode and the suspension set to something other than sport if you are trying to ride a K16 on cobblestones.

Mine didn't overheat, but there was quite a strong smell coming from the clutch. I had to force myself not to touch the clutch lever which stopped the smell.
                              Your right about the size of the K16 for doing the Stelvio. There was plenty of turning the handle bars and leaning the opposite way to counter balance the bike due to the tightness of the hairpins and the length/size of the bike.

I'm not rushing to get back to it, but I'm glad it's been ticked off the bucket list.

Certainly an experience.
                              R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #14 on: 2013-08-02 21:27:40 »
                                 ???

I have done Stelvio about 5 times, both Italian routes and Umbrail, twice on the K16 (once two-up) and it is no harder than many other passes IMO

I had overheating this time due to a leak on the water pump, last year it was fine in 32 degrees and nothing.

I actually find the K16 quite flickable personally.

I don't think I slipped the clutch, just balancing it on the throttle in first/second