Author Topic: Thinking of a GT but have concerns.... Thought?  (Read 1823 times)

OfflineDotcomdewd

Hello all. I am new to this forum and I hate that my first post is this but here is a "should I do it " post.

I currently have a '12 R1200Rt. I love the bike but have always been more of a sportier rider. So while this bike is ok, I have always had my eye on a 1600. So, this past week I contacted my dealer in Scottsdale, AZ and they made me a smoking deal on a 2013 GT. they gave me a great value on the bike and a super trade in value on mine. The thing is loaded and with BMWs current promotions, the GPS will be well received. I have not signed for or picked up the bike yet, it's being assembled totally now. I should be able to get it tues or we'd.

So, while my initial response was to get extremely excited about my new machine, I started reading forum posts. And all I could find out there were complaint after complaint. Things from left/right controllers failing, to bikes shutting down mid ride,to shifting issues, to water pumps going out every 10k miles, to bike controls overheating and needing to put a bag of I've on it for 15 minutes so it can start. Just issue after issue. Now I know there are always bikes with issues but this really has me concerned. According to the vin the bike was shipped here on 8/2012. So that has me concerned that my bike will have all of those issues.

I'm just looking for some opinions here from the people that own them. Should I stay away for a couple more years until they straighten things out? Is the bike just so awesome the issues really don't matter? Should I just not worry at all and hope everything goes right?

I appreciate any input or suggestions. I don't want to make a $27,000 mistake.

Thanks in advance!

PS. My new 2012rt was already in the shop 3 times as well 1 was for a major issue at 4k miles (rear main seal blew out). So I know the bikes are not perfect but I normally do like the BMW quality and can go either way here.
    « Last Edit: 2013-07-14 18:14:25 by Dotcomdewd »

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Thinking of a GT but have concerns.... Thought?
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-07-14 18:42:19 »
      Bike shipped in Aug 2012 is likely to be a 2012 model not the 2013 one. Switchgear problems have occurred across the BMW bike range for the last two or three years but my replacement switches done in July 2012 are stlll going strong so you never know. I understand the drive chain including the gearbox its-self are much better on the 2013 model.  I wouldn't concern yourself about the odd water pump and the like failure.  This type of thing happens to all vehicles.  My last RT had failing fuel sensors along with the odd oil leak but is still one of the best tourers out there.  Its no match for the might K though 

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-07-14 18:59:41 »
        I think that everybody is entitled to their opinion and they are welcome to vent it on any forum.
         I appreciate that there are people (probably several) that have had one or more items breaking down and if their dealer does not help them correctly, they have right to complain.
         On the other hand, there are also lots of people that have no complaints. Most of the time that's the silent majority. I belong to that silent majority. I'm a little over 20000 kms and not a single problem whatsoever.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinebill1600

« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-14 19:55:18 »
          Did you check with Iron Horse BMW in Tucson, AZ?  I know the people there and they do give you a far deal with no add on's.  This is something you need to ask about at GO-AZ.  If you don't want them be sure to not get them.  I got mine at Iron Horse and love the bike.  NO problems what so ever and mine was built 8/2012 also.

Bill in Phoenix
          Bill in Phoenix

Onlinebuzglyd

« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-14 22:12:11 »
            Has there been a BMW built that doesn't have issues?

I've owned two bikes and two cars built by BMW and they've all had more issues than a comparable Japanese car or bike.

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-15 00:07:04 »
              Hi,

I bought a second hand K16 in June last year, I had it for 6 months and did 5000 trouble free miles and was so pleased with it that I traded it in for a new K16 in January this year. So far I've covered 9000 trouble free miles, I did have all the dash warning lights come on once but switching the ignition off and on again cleared it and it has yet to reoccur. 
              I've just come back from a 10 day tour of southern Germany/Austria, 8 bikes, consisting of 5 K1600s, a K1200, a Ducati Monster and an Aprillia RSV.
              1 K1600 flashed up the overheating warning lights just as we reached the top of the Stelvio Pass, but by the time we'd had a coffee and a walk round it was fine, another day another 1600 had the started motor whirling away with the engine running and the bike had to be stalled using the side stand cut off to stop it. That bike is having the right switch cluster changed this week as a result.
              Personally I think the 1600 is a fantastic bike and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a fast 'sports' touring bike. I'm sure if you read other owners forums there will always be bikes that have some problems, and I would think it is a very small percentage of bikes that have faults. Whether you think that's acceptable or not, or a chance you're prepared to take is your call.
              Ian

« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 00:13:53 by Speighty37 »
              Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

Offlinesevenup

« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-15 06:15:51 »
                Since 2007 I have had 3 new BMW bikes. The first, a 1200RT had so many problems you would weep if I listed them but included all major electronic items. A lovely bike spoiled by poor quality electrics. The 2nd was a 1300GT which had 7 switches changed with a final switch failing on the way to the dealer for changeover. The bike was plagued by problems with ignition and electronics. Neither bike did more than 13k miles in my ownership. I have had the K16GT for a year and 6500 miles (lower than I would have expected for family reasons). It is the most reliable BMW I have owned. No failures of anything. I like the bike and plan to keep it a few years. I will have an extended warranty when the manufacturers version ends because I am not fully convinced that I can afford to run it without one. However, it is a great bike that my wife enjoys being on with me. However, if iot gives me ANY bother it will be going. If the Trophy or a modern ST1300 had been available, I might not have bought it though.
                Economics - invented to make astrology look good #indyref #YES2014

OfflineBob S

« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-15 09:48:47 »
                  I rode the Trophy last week and it is not a patch on the K1600. The audio controls look like an afterthought and you have to take your hand off the handlebar to use them, the handling is good but not as good as the K1600 and it doesn't have the K1600 warp drive or the total smoothness of the engine. The engine has a roughness low down that is very similar to the 1999 Sprint ST I used to own which detracts from the refinement of the bike. The screen on the Trophy is good out of the box though and could be lived with without having to change it, but overall the K1600 is the better and more accomplished bike.
                  Back to the topic, my own K1600 has had one issue and that was some corrosion on the rear torque arm. Would I buy another? Oh yes! :D

2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinevincentrapide

« Reply #8 on: 2013-07-15 09:59:48 »
                    The first (early model)1600GT I had was a nightmare! The BT / audio setup just would not work not matter what BMW attempted. If not for a good local dealer I think I would still be in trouble. BMW eventually had it back.
                    I then gave the 1600's a rest for a bit.
                    However, I bought a 2013 year model 1600GT last autumn and it's been totally trouble free. My guess would be that BMW have sorted much of the trouble out.
                    I've owned 12 new BMW's since 2005, all but an HP2 Sport, a GSA and my current 1600GT and GSTE have had electrical/electronic issues to some degree. Coupled with what I read in the various forums I would have to conclude that BMW have been poor in this area, but are improving (I hope!)
                    Cheers!

OfflineHerbert Roelandt

« Reply #9 on: 2013-07-23 00:51:28 »
                      I had 612.000 km with a K100RT- no problems
                      320.00 km with a K1100LT- only needed replacing one clutch
                      150.00 km with R1100GS no problems
                      225.000 km with R1150GS no problems
                      75.000 km with K1200LT no problems
                      250.000 km with a R1200GS ADV had a final drive issue
                      Now I have 15.000 km with a K1600GTL- no problems; Runs great! :)

R1200 GSA 2008- K1600 GTL 2012

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #10 on: 2013-07-23 01:07:14 »
                        If you're into this style of bike - Big Sport/Tourer - then it is a no brainer.

Best bike on the planet.

As Speighty says mine overheated and there is a post on here re the issue - sorted with BMW's excellent back up service (including no quibble checks at German BMW dealers with advice and reassurance)

I am in the fortunate position of having tested all the big tourers over the past four years with a UK bike magazine, and I put my money where my mouth was - and still would.

Just done this years test (which will be in the October edition of RiDE) and whilst all the bikes were superb, the K16 (fpr me at least) outshone the others, R12RT, ST1300, FJR13, Triumph Trophy and 1400GTR.

It is not perfect, none of them were, but the total of everything was better on the K16 than any of the others.

All did the job in different ways.

Go K16 and you won't be disappointed.
                        Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinec5

« Reply #11 on: 2013-07-23 17:48:14 »
                          Here are some vids of the 1600 gt, don't let the sound fool you, the mic was placed above the gearbox.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a2rE98Py2o
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DYLcnldZw
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooo0mOqkvig

OfflineJonmac

« Reply #12 on: 2013-08-15 14:13:58 »
                            I have just traded my r1200rt on which i rode 40,000klms on a 1600gt. I thought the rt was the best bike out there. I thought it handled like a Japanese sports bike. I have done 1200 Klms in three weeks over some of my favourite roads. Wow! The gt' s handling is superb. Much more intuitive than the rt and I recon a lot safer because of that. And the power! Friendly overwhelming "please give me more" power! I love it!

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #13 on: 2013-08-15 16:02:53 »
                              Herbert and Jonmac,
                              Congrats on the bike and welcome on this forum.
                              Keep enjoying it!
                              Many safe miles with lots of smiles.
                              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

anything