Author Topic: Diificult start  (Read 851 times)

Offlinedspcole

• 1999 R1100RT, 2013 K1600GTL,1992 R100GS
    Diificult start
    « on: 2013-07-15 20:04:57 »
    This past weekend I went to fire up the 1600 GTL (1000 miles) which had been sitting idle in the garage for 3 weeks while I have been riding my R110RT.  It took forever to get it to fire up.  It cranked fine, but did not catch.  I adjusted throttle position, etc. and kept cranking every minute or so and then finally a couple of cylinders started to try.  Did this some more and then finally they all came on line.  Similar problem the next morning, but it only took a few tries for it to fire.  It has been fine since then, firing right up when I hit the switch.  Almost seems like something in the fuel system lost it's prime and took awhile to regain it.  The RT is at the dealer now getting some maintenance, so when it is ready I will swap it out for the 1600 so they can look it over.  Any ideas?
    Doug
    Douglas Cole Rockport, Maine

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
      Re: Diificult start
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-07-15 20:18:08 »
      I have had this happen on most of my bikes. Leaving them for weeks on end tends to lead to starting problems.....IMHO.

But to be honest, they have all started after a few attempts. And I have had no problems once up and running.

Good luck.
      R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-07-15 20:47:39 »
        Three weeks should not be a problem normally. Not for the battery and not for the fuel.
        Might be a fuel problem. On the other hand, if the fuel goes bad this quick, then the fuel company has a real problem.
        Maybe an ignition problem?
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBrick

« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-16 03:10:10 »
          I had a similar problem last week. I didn't ride the GT for 3 days, which for it is an eternity. Similar sounding starting issue. It took three or four attempts before it actually fired, reeking of fuel.

It hasn't happened since. Any chance that the 16 simply likes to travel and doesn't appreciate sitting still? 

Onlinebuzglyd

« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-16 03:41:40 »
            Don't touch the throttle. It screws up the TPS.

Just press the button and keep your mitts off the bars.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-07-16 09:21:07 »
              Don't touch the throttle. It screws up the TPS.

Just press the button and keep your mitts off the bars.
                You got it in one.  The only exception to this rule is if you stall it when its hot.  Then a bit of throttle might be necessary

Offlinedspcole

• 1999 R1100RT, 2013 K1600GTL,1992 R100GS
                « Reply #6 on: 2013-07-16 14:58:07 »
                Well, I can't buy any of the above, except for Brick who has experienced a similar problem.  As for sitting, it spent four long Maine winter months sitting in an unheated garage and started right up in the spring.  As for the throttle, somehow I have managed to start it fine until last week.   I only started fussing with the throttle 10 minutes after trying to get it going.  We'll see what the dealer has to say.  I'm still thinking some sort of a fuel feed problem.
                Douglas Cole Rockport, Maine

Onlinebuzglyd

« Reply #7 on: 2013-07-16 17:57:40 »
                    You got it in one.  The only exception to this rule is if you stall it when its hot.  Then a bit of throttle might be necessary

I live in SoCal and ride in the desert sometimes where it's over 100 degrees.

I've never had any hot start issues either.

I've had squeaks, switches and water pumps, but I just press the button and she always starts.

OfflineScottishBeemer

• Newbie both here and to K1600GT (x K1300GT)
                    « Reply #8 on: 2013-08-28 17:36:05 »
                    I had a similar issue on one occasion with my previous bike a K1300. Not having ridden it for a couple of months during the Scottish winter, it took quite a few attempts to get her started and when she finally did fire up there was some dirty exhaust for a few minutes, before all return to normal. Never left it unused for that length of time and the problem never re-occurred.
                    Not a particularity technical type, but I suspect fuel lying in the fuel lines had deteriorated or gone bad and had to flush out?
                    It should make you smile!