Author Topic: Mandatory tip-over protection is required for the GTL (You've been warned!!)  (Read 1557 times)

Offlinek1600_ryder

The Story:
    I recently upgraded my Harley Ultra Classic to the new 2013 K1600 GTL at the end of June. A fellow rider and long time BMW owner provided me with some general guidelines about the K1600 and recommended a dealership to purchase the bike from. One of the 'Absolute' rules about the K1600 is you must have tip-over / engine protection and the stock BMW engine just isn't good enough. With that information in hand, I ordered a set of aftermarket engine guards (which haven't arrived yet).
    On Saturday a group of us went for a typical breakfast / lunch day ride. Breakfast being about 100km from home and lunch ending up about another 250 km away.  Unfortunately when leaving our lunch stop I had the misfortune of hooking my rain pants onto the left foot-peg and being unable to get my foot down in time, tipped my new bike in the parking lot. After much embarrassment and sadness about dropping my new ride, I stood the bike up and started checking for damage. On first inspection the damage seemed minor, bent & scratched the left fog light, scratched the fog light cover, scratched the chrome rad hose cover, and a minor scrape on the bottom of the left pannier. Sadly, after re-starting the engine, I noticed the bike was leaking massive amounts of coolant. As it turns out, the fog lamps seem to be one the first things to impact the ground and the fog lamp support brackets will slam into the plastic radiator and break it. (BMW sure screwed up there!)

The LESSON:
    The most common impact your bike will ever encounter, the simple 0 km tip-over can completely disable the bike, cause thousands in repair costs, and leave you stranded! Don't ever, ever, ever ride these bikes without  tip-over / engine protection. You've been warned!!

OfflineWinston Smith

First thing I added when I ordered mine.  Worked for me too in Omph drop.   Other tip - get a set of pannier protectors too, simple stick on plastics that will save the pannier from scuffs too.

The BMW engine bars are absolutely OK and do the job well.
      Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineGeebee

Ordered a Wunderlich side stand plate extender as soon as I got the bike. I realised how useful it is when parking the bike for 5 min on hot asphalt on the Offenpass in Switzerland. When I climbed back on the bike it had sunk 2 cm into the asphalt. Without the foot-plate I am sure the picture would have looked very different. Pannier protectors and engine bars mounted as well.
        Geebee - K1600GT

Offlinek1600_ryder

BTW: If anyone needs proof why tip-over protection is mandatory or should be a factory / OEM component, I received the repair quote from the shop today.

1 BMW tip-ever = $3800.00 (CND/USD)  :-[

OUCH!!

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            That's why I installed the Wunderlich bars (front and back) soon after buying the bike. I know some people don't like the looks of them, but they do the job and I use them to attach additional Xenon lights and an action camera.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlineroame

I laid my 2012 GTL down, in the garage.  I did not notice any damage until I installed a set of Wunderlich bars.  I found the fog lamp bracket retaining bolt was deformed.  I'll be doing my 18000 mile valve check soon.  When I put it back together I'm going to relocate the fog lamps onto the Wunderlich bars.

Offlineochmaheed

Thats a real shame about what happened  to you but makes my decision today when putting deposit down for new GTLe to get the engine guards fitted seem like a good one. About time bike designers thought about what damage a small drop can do and make bikes a bit more crash resistant. I speak from experiance having written off a Kamakazi GTR1400 at about 10mph !!!! :-[
                how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineScottishBeemer

• Newbie both here and to K1600GT (x K1300GT)
                  My 1600GT which I bought with 2000 miles on the clock had engine bars already fitted.
                  I was told that the first and only owner, dropped the bike in the forecourt of the garage the day he collected it and again a few months later. Both 0 mph drops. The bars apparently saved him from a hefty bill. The bars are unobtrusive, unlike some other ones I have seen, and in my opinion should be a standard part of the bike.
                  It should make you smile!

OfflineWinston Smith

and in my opinion should be a standard part of the bike.

Then they couldn't charge extra for them...BMW are good at this little ploy!
                    Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinemccartn

Sorry about your bike. Crash bars should be fitted as standard on this bike end of story! Take the ST 1100 from honda. They were fitting them to that bike 20 years ago.  More so when the engine has absolutly no protection if it falls.
                      Neil

anything