Author Topic: Nav IV vs Zumo 350  (Read 1672 times)

OfflineMatsuuraMAM72

Nav IV vs Zumo 350
    « on: 2013-07-17 06:46:29 »
    I am new to the K16, and I just sold my old bike and am taking delivery of my K16 on Thursday.

Now i already have a Zumo 350 and like it, but I know the Nav IV is made by Garmin also.

Anyways, the current promotions have me receivng the Nav IV, and I really dont need a 3rd GPS (Have another Garmin for my car). So I have interest in selling my 350 for good money.

Does anyone know the Nav IV compare to the 350?

OfflineDasBoot

Re: Nav IV vs Zumo 350
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-07-17 11:55:36 »
      Well the Nav IV fits straight into the GPS slot which handy as it doesn't look like it was tacked onto the handlebars like a Goldwing switch cluster.
      Some people have had issues with glare and on a few occasions it has been problematic for me but not worth whining about. I haven't used any others so I'm not much for the comparison.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-07-17 20:06:24 »
        The BMW Nav IV is basically the same as the Zumo 660. You can compare the technical specs on the Garmin website. One thing is for sure: the 350 won't fit the cradle.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineMatsuuraMAM72

« Reply #3 on: 2013-07-18 05:27:55 »
          Thanks to all

I had a Zumo 400 and liked it, but due to complications outside of the GPS (witness to an accident - lawyers sopenad my GPS for evidence - lawyers buy me the 350 to replace it) I have grown to like the 350 I had on my C14

Actually had planned to use both as I get the Nav IV with current incentives, and see which I liked better, but upon selling my C14 have had allot of interest in the 350

Now, if the dealer only had not sold the K16 out from under me (having to wait till Saturday)

OfflineJRH

« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-13 13:19:25 »
            I have a Nav IV on my 2013 K1600GTL. The glare makes it unusable most of the time for me. Any suggestions? Also, has anyone had success updating the software from Garmin to get the new "Curvy Road" feature?
            2013 K1600GTL, Nav IV

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-09-13 15:23:02 »
              I have a Nav IV on my 2013 K1600GTL. The glare makes it unusable most of the time for me. Any suggestions? Also, has anyone had success updating the software from Garmin to get the new "Curvy Road" feature?
              Look up Reflections on the Nav IV screen.  My bit if plastic has been on most of the summer and it helps (a bit)

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2013-09-13 18:23:39 »
                The only way to really get rid of the glare is to put it somewhere else (e.g. on the handle bar) on a RAM mount so you can change the angle. Personally the glare doesn't bother me that much. I just put my head or hand up  to keep the sun of the nav if I have to look at it that specific moment.
                As for the software: I have the latest update on my Zumo660 but no 'curvy road button'.
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlineomnione

« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-13 19:03:19 »
                  To help with the glare on my Zumo  I slackened the mounting bracket holding screws and placed a small piece of plastic in the top to act as a spacer, then re-tighten the mounting screws,  this alters the angle of the Zumo. 

The downside is an increased gap at the lower edge.

Definitely a bodge  but a least I have a sat nav I can see now.

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-16 00:06:00 »
                    Omnione,

Think I know what you mean in your description.
                    How much does this improve the problem ?
                    Any pics to show ?
                    At the moment not to big a problem for me as the sun dont shine much where I am but for next years tour the glare could be a problem, and as others on the forum could confirm I aint the best at following sat nav at best of times  8)
                    how much Mr BMW ?

Offlineomnione

« Reply #9 on: 2013-10-03 18:10:17 »
                      [size=78%]Sorry for not getting back sooner the gap is just under 1cm at the bottom, any more and the tray can be difficult to eject to remove the sat nav[/size][/size]

anything