Author Topic: K1600GT parts  (Read 938 times)

OfflineDavidMcK

K1600GT parts
    « on: 2013-07-17 18:06:01 »

Hi all, P&O Ferries dropped my light grey metallic K1600GT on a trip home from Scotland.  To cut a long story short I now have various bits including two exhausts, right hand brake lever, left hand mirror, windscreen bracket etc.

I plan to put them on ebay but if anyone in the G.B. needs a few bits then let me know.

If anyone is interested I can add some more info in about the P&O incident.  I certainly learnt something from it.  David

OfflineQuattra

• Mineral Silver KGT
      Re: K1600GT parts
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-07-17 18:53:26 »
      Hi David, sorry to hear about the incident you encountered. Did P&O not ask you to fix your bike yourself ? I have been several times to Scotland and back (Ijmuiden - Newcastle DFDS Seaways) and had to fix the bike myself every time...
      Enjoy life... Do not try to live forever. You will not succeed.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-07-17 20:00:00 »
        David,
        Welcome on this forum as well.
        For the moment (luckily) no need for replacement parts.

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-07-17 20:26:58 »
          How did P & O manage not to secure it. Must have taken some skill to damage both end cans
          « Last Edit: 2013-07-17 20:29:05 by RTman10 »

OfflineDavidMcK

« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-18 10:18:46 »
            12 bikes went on board, a P&O crew member tied them down with a single strap across the seat. The crossing was a little rough when we went back to the hold 3 bikes had fallen over, others had burn damage to their seats with the strap moving.

If you look at the conditions of travel P&O state the driver is responsible for securing their motorcycle. Thankfully, P&O had tied ours down so they paid for the damages, however, there is a limit on damages of around £3500, this is set by a thing called the Athens convention.

My dealer managed to find parts that he thought should be replaced which ended up with an estimate of around £3,400.

The bike fell on its right hand side but I ended up with a new left side exhaust, new left mirror, right hand brake lever etc.  So I have parts that are undamaged.

When they stripped down the bike they discovered I needed a new windscreen bracket which cost £350. This put the cost over the £3500 and P&O would not pay for the bracket so I paid for it in exchange for the parts.
            « Last Edit: 2013-07-18 16:54:47 by DavidMcK »

anything