Author Topic: Starter switch GTL  (Read 1294 times)

Offlinerandka

Starter switch GTL
    « on: 2013-07-19 18:30:34 »
    Any one having problems starting there bike in  this hot weather? I have a gtl and it wont start, its kept in a garage and the only time it will start is first thing in the morning, pretty fed up as I want to use it and obviously think it will let me down , every thing lights up as normal but the switch is dead, its a 2011 model, been in touch with BMW and they have booked the bike in but not for a couple of weeks, sooo frustrating!

Offlinebuzglyd

Re: Starter switch GTL
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-07-19 19:24:57 »
      The left and right switch gear is a well know BMW issue. I had both sets replaced on my 13GT.

Just wait. The windshield button will stop working on the other side soon enough.

Offlineiceman1

« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-20 04:22:12 »
        My dealer has changed my starter switch even though I did not have problems with my 2011 GT . He said the new switch has been thoroughly tested and will not give any problem. I asked for the old switch as a spare, but he assured me that it is not necessary.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-07-20 08:44:49 »
          A 2 week wait to swap the switch is rediculous. Its a 10 minute job.  If you have BMW Emergency Assistance I suggest you ring them.  They might just find you one in a couple of hours.   

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-20 12:48:24 »
            My 2011 has had the left cluster replaced at around 3000ml & the right has just been replaced at 7000ml, the left hand cluster had the screen switch stop working, the right was starter & central locking that stopped working both packed in on a hot day. Got the left fixed within 3 working days & the right fixed in 1 working day, call emergency breakdown as BMW have to fix it within 24hr or supply a temp bike for you
            2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinerandka

« Reply #5 on: 2013-07-21 21:00:54 »
              bike been dead now since last Wednesday, bloody annoying especially as the weather is good, thanks for replys though, to be fair to BM they did offer me a loan bike and I am sure they would give me one if I needed one. With an expensive bike like this and BMW being BMW its not really good enough.

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #6 on: 2013-07-22 19:21:25 »
                When the switch(es) is/are not in stock, which they usually aren't, then it takes approximately 1 working week to have them delivered (confirmed independently by 2 dealerships; one is Poland, one in Slovenia). The interesting thing I was told as well while stranded in Ljubljana was that apparently Germany decides on whether a shipment is urgent or not. Anyhow, my switch problem (right side; starter and central locking mechanism) was solved in half an hour as they decided to use elements from a showroom model.

Good luck with resolving your switch problem randka.
                Geebee - K1600GT

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #7 on: 2013-08-20 02:15:50 »
                  Was on holiday this year with a guy with a GTL and his switch packed in when parked out in the heat. Really not good enough is it. I have read that new switches have been fitted since August last year so am hoping my new bike wont suffer the same  :-\
                  how much Mr BMW ?

Offlineledders12

« Reply #8 on: 2013-08-25 17:31:53 »
                    Had both switches changed on my '09 K1300GT, so when I got the GTLe in 2011 I wasn't expecting any problems, what a mistake that was.  May this year, left switch changed as hazzard switch packed in, then in the summer,in the Pyrenees the starter switch packed in too. After a couple of hours "resting in the shade" it started working, until the next day when it was parked in the sun  :'(  Recovered to French dealer who eventually changed the switch but there were further issues with the starter motor clutch??  So had the bike repatriated and repaired by me local dealer.  I had him check the switch had been changed and they confirmed it had.  Apparently the new (improved)switches have white labels, the older ones are black.  Ordered new 2014 model GTLe yesterday, fingers crossed BMW have sorted it this time around.

Offlinemccartn

« Reply #9 on: 2013-08-30 01:54:10 »
                      I feel your pain my bike 2011 is in for start switch replacment as well. left hand switch cluster aready replaced twice
                      Neil

Offlineledders12

« Reply #10 on: 2013-08-30 23:52:48 »
                        Seems as though there are more problems out there.  Was due to pick up my new K16GTL next week-end to be told today that BMW have instructed the dealer not to sell it due to "software issues"  :o which can't be resolved.  Apparently, mine is one of 7 in the UK with this problem.  New one now on the production line for me,  due end of September. ::)  Better now than later I suppose