Author Topic: Oil level dipstick/dashboard indictor  (Read 1057 times)

Offlinedspcole

• 1999 R1100RT, 2013 K1600GTL,1992 R100GS
    Oil level dipstick/dashboard indictor
    « on: 2013-07-30 20:40:21 »
    Having had an episode of "check oil level", I am a bit paranoid about checking it, but I am not entirely confident about this.  I have read the instructions about running engine until fan comes on, shut it off, wait a minute, etc, but  I'm not sure whether I can hear the fan come on  or not.  How about if after a ride to get to operating temp I put the bike on the center stand, shut it off, wait a minute and then check the dipstick?  I am also having trouble getting the dashboard display to show "OK" on the oil level setting. The bike is at a standstill, idling in neutral, but it just shows "--" on the display even though I think my oil level is ok. Thanks
    Douglas Cole Rockport, Maine

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Oil level dipstick/dashboard indictor
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-07-30 21:47:18 »
      You have to follow the guidelines to get a correct reading. You can hear the fan easily as long as you don't wear a helmet or earplugs. If you can't hear it, it hasn't come on.
      As for  the reading of the oil level on the dash:
      The oil-level indicator gives you an indication of the engine oil level. The preconditions for the oil level check are as follows:
      • Engine at operating temperature.
      • Engine idling for at least ten seconds.
      • Side stand retracted.
      • Make sure the motorcycle is upright.
      The readings mean:
      • OK: Oil level is correct
      • CHECK!: Check the oil level the next time you stop for fuel.
      • – – –: Oil level cannot be measured (conditions as stated above not satisfied)
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinedspcole

« Reply #2 on: 2013-07-31 14:47:26 »
        So if all 4 conditions are met and I am still getting the "---" sign on the display I guess I have a problem of some sort?

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-07-31 16:23:27 »
          If you are absolutely sure that all 4 conditions are met, you should have an 'OK' or a 'CHECK'.
          No 2, 3 and 4 are easy to check; the bike decides whether it has reached operating temperature. I normally check after a long ride and during stops. That way it's good to go for the next ride.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinedspcole

« Reply #4 on: 2013-07-31 23:28:32 »
            Aha. There is actually a fifth condition that needs to be met. Apparently one needs to have used the side and then retracted it.  I always  use the center stand but I discovered if I put the side stand down (in neutral, of course) and then retract it, presto, the "OK" shows up. I'm not sure of the logic of that design with the side stand, but I have it figured out now.