Author Topic: K1600GTL NOT STARTING  (Read 2933 times)

Offlinemccartn

K1600GTL NOT STARTING
    « on: 2013-08-25 19:28:20 »
    Out today 25th AUgust and stopped to leave heavy trafic by.
    Turned bike off and would not restart. Not even spin the starter. Bike in neutral tried with side standup. went into menu and turned off the alarm no go. Tried a hill start nothing firing. eventually bike lifted to dealer. Any one hit this before?
    Switches changed twice already on left side maybe right side in trouble now. I'll keep you posted on outcome!
    Neil

Offlineledders12

Re: K1600GTL NOT STARTING
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-08-25 19:54:42 »
      Yes, had exactly the same, but in the middle of nowhere in the Pyrenees, after a coffee stop.  After a couple of hoursin the shade it worked again, but next day failed when sat in the sun.  New switch fitted, which was expected to solve problem, but also found that there was a problem with the starter motor clutch not engaging/dis-engaging??  Good luck

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-08-26 10:15:59 »
        These seem to be failing all over the world.  Sometimes its the sun that kills them and sometimes rain.  Mine went in Austria after standing in rain for 3 days. Only fix is a new switch. The part number has changed recently so the replacement ones might be better but dont hold your breath

OfflineJim

« Reply #3 on: 2013-08-26 12:32:05 »
          Out for a run yesterday & got chatting to a guy that I met some 2 year ago, he had just purchased a GT I was waiting on my GTL coming , anyway after the hello's he asked me how I was liking the bike after telling him that I thought it was ok but has/ had a few annoying niggles he asked what the niggles were, I said switches, drive lash & clunky gearbox he responded by telling me that his was in getting new right hand switch because it refused to start when he got it to dealer the bike started so they refused to replace it as it was showing no fault after being sent away from the dealer because the bike started he went a run the next day & you know what happened yes would not start about 80 mile from home, anyway he also was telling me that his preferred dealer told him to purchase an extended warranty for his own good (not what you want to hear) also that BMW were bringing out a new engine for the K1600, when he asked why so soon was their a problem he was told no problem but did not know why they would change so soon may or may not be true anyone heard this one before.

BMW are not doing themselves any favours with the reputation this bike is getting as most people you speak to BMW owners or not can tell you about the problems these bikes have & its turning potential owners away in their droves IMO its also affecting resale as they are not desirable in many eyes.

Shame really as as I have said before its a great bike let down by some problems that should have been sorted before going on sale or at worst a fix to new bikes & all pre-sold taken in & the fix applied this would lift the view people have of these bikes & BMW as a company
          2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #4 on: 2013-08-26 16:20:42 »
            Your recently found GT owner is a little out with his info.  No good taking extended warranty out to get new switches.  They are not covered.  They don't need to be.  BMW will exchange them if they go for I believe a period of 100 months. The spec for the 2014 GT/GTL  is unchanged from the 2013 model except for the colour change and you will no longer get the wallet key.  Shame.

Offlinemccartn

« Reply #5 on: 2013-08-27 00:56:39 »
              Well bike dropped off at Dealer by recovery today. And surprise surprise recieved a call telling me it was starting fine. In fairness after I explained how the bike was performing dealer is ordering new right hand switch cluster. Smugly I advised ive an extended warranty in place to be told I was told my extended warranty would not cover cost of replacment switches. :o  In fairness switches are the one thing thats packing up on these things and not covered :o
              My reaction to that was contact BMW and request they replace this free of charge. Its just 4 months out of manufacturers warranty >:( . Great bike but major quality control issue going on here! Left side switch cluster already replaced twice.
              I'll keep you posted!
              Neil

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #6 on: 2013-08-27 09:17:45 »
                Your situation is identical to mine.  Left hand switch replaced twice the last time in July 2012.  The right hand one went in June this year with the bike 2 yrs and 3 months old.  Extended warranty taken out in April but I was advised the switch was not covered but within 10 minutes, without contacting BMW directly the replacement was authorized on line.

OfflineBluizfire

« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-09 20:26:40 »
                  Just happened today.  Drove it to work, went out at lunch to run an errand and does not start.  Have warning light and ABS light flashing.  Only 26 miles from home and 250 miles from the trusted dealer.  It's a trailer queen.  2012 K1600GTL, 10,500 miles.

OfflineOveP

• K1600GT Sport, 2014
                    « Reply #8 on: 2013-09-09 20:45:56 »
                    Hi,
                    Can somebody explain me the issue with the switches? I am not sure if I understand it correctly. What switches left hand/right hand are we talking about and what is wrong with them?? How can the sun (heat) kill switches?
                    I am just starting to get worried for my own bike which is going to have a 6000 miles service now.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #9 on: 2013-09-09 21:09:30 »
                      Hi,
                      Can somebody explain me the issue with the switches? I am not sure if I understand it correctly. What switches left hand/right hand are we talking about and what is wrong with them?? How can the sun (heat) kill switches?
                      I am just starting to get worried for my own bike which is going to have a 6000 miles service now.
                      It's a huge topic on another forum (www.k1600forum.com). Heat seems to be the main cause as most switches work again after cooling, but not always. They even started a poll there. So far 102 people have voted. 57 have no problem at all; 28 have had a problem with the left cluster; 5 with the right cluster and 12 with both. Sometimes it's the turn signals that won't cancel; sometimes it's the windshield that won't go up or down or both (left side); sometimes it's the bike not starting (right side). The new liquid cooled GS has the same switches and also has the same problems on some. Apparently BMW have switched manufacturers for the switches already and the new ones should be better.
                      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineOveP

• K1600GT Sport, 2014
                        « Reply #10 on: 2013-09-10 08:46:02 »
                        It's a huge topic on another forum (www.k1600forum.com). Heat seems to be the main cause as most switches work again after cooling, but not always. They even started a poll there. So far 102 people have voted. 57 have no problem at all; 28 have had a problem with the left cluster; 5 with the right cluster and 12 with both. Sometimes it's the turn signals that won't cancel; sometimes it's the windshield that won't go up or down or both (left side); sometimes it's the bike not starting (right side). The new liquid cooled GS has the same switches and also has the same problems on some. Apparently BMW have switched manufacturers for the switches already and the new ones should be better.

Seems like I don't have to worry too much about this here by the north pole  ;)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2013-09-10 13:17:46 »
                          Then again, mine packed up after sitting in the rain for 3 days at about 8c

Offlinemccartn

« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-05 00:50:03 »
                            Well  I was told right hand switch would be in by end of September. Rang my dealer and no sign of the switch. Seems like there's a back log.
                            Going on 6 weeks now without the bike.
                            I found this on another forum. It explains the issue really well and also why the bike might restart on cool down.
                            https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/31929-anatomy-lefthand-combination-switch-failure.html

Neil

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #13 on: 2013-10-05 14:07:41 »
                              Very interesting read. So unless the "new " switches are significantly different we can expect the same to happen soon on the newer models too, oh joy. As the author says he has heard of it happeneing already on new GS's.
                              Its all very well if the problem is fixed, new switches, quickly but six weeks and still waiting is not good. Also one failure in the middle of no where on your big holiday of the year is a bit of a downer too.

Will reserve judgement to see how the newer bikes get on over the next year, if the problems surface again its maybe time to give Mr BMW a big collective kick in the swingers, or some more legal alternative. :-\
                              how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineC 4

« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-05 16:39:05 »
                                As said above, search the k1600forum.com for the paper clip fix, which works great. And read the "anatomy of a switch cluster failure" by cbdane. VERY informative on this topic. In a nutshell, The plastic of the switch housing swells and contracts at different rates than the copper trace wire for the switches and it breaks. When it cools down, contact is USUALLY restored but not always. Make the paper clip fix just in case.
                                2013 K1600 GTL

anything