Author Topic: Top case lights.  (Read 5975 times)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
    Top case lights.
    « on: 2013-08-26 12:55:06 »
    I have recently acquired the correct K1600GT case for my bike.

I'm looking to add the high level stop light, but was wondering if anyone has found a led light system that also incorporates indicators into the top case.

Anyone found any such item ?
    R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Top case lights.
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-08-26 16:05:35 »
      Never seen such an item.  To be honest the OE brake light is top notch and blinds anyone within 20 ft of it.  As you know there are already 8 led's in each side of the rear indicator and Iv never heard of anyone complaining about them being dull, not even from the other side of the pond.  Fitting of the OE stop light one is a 10 minute job (about) 

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-08-26 19:42:09 »
        I have the original stop light, but have also bought a LED combination rear light/stop light with indicators. Still thinking whether I replace the original with the new LEDs or just add the new LEDs (and if so, where). Involves adding additional wires to the top case for the indicators.
        Bought it in the USA (https://www.radiantz.com/index1.html?c62.html&1) look under Z-Flex LED lights
        « Last Edit: 2013-08-26 19:48:12 by FP-NLD »
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-08-26 20:23:33 »
          Thanks for the link.

I do like the look of these............... [size=78%]https://www.radiantz.com/index1.html?c62.html&1[/size]
          R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-06 22:45:41 »
            This looks helpful for wiring the topcase:  https://www.lights.skenedesign.com/K1600-IQ-160.shtml

OfflineC 4

« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-07 02:08:34 »
              I installed Hyper-lites in the space for the brake light. Running and flashing brake lights.
              https://youtu.be/usReIU1fOg0
              Does anyone have a wiring breakdown for the top case plug? There is a plug behind the backrest pad that is capped that I have no idea what it's for. 
              2013 K1600 GTL

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                « Reply #6 on: 2013-10-07 08:35:42 »
                The brake light wire is behind the moulding for the brake light.  The cable behind the back rest is for heating the rest although some think its for rear speakers.

Offlinee7navy1999

Finally completed one of my winter K16 upgrade projects.  Turned out exceptionally well for cheap.  I had the LEDs lit up for over and hour with no overheating issues.  Attached are pics and web site where I purchase the LED strip.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FreeShippin-2x-30cm-15SMD-LED-White-Blue-Green-Red-LED-Waterproof-Flexible-Car-Grill-Strip-Light/1414954061.html

This light strip is water 12volt and come waterproof.  I notice another LED strip on Amazon for $4 that had 12 LEDs in one.  That would be better to use I think.

The whole project took roughly $10 and 2 hours of my Saturday labor sitting at the kitchen table, sipping coffee and taking some flack from the lady of the house for messing up her kitchen.  I used a 3/16 drill bit and with a small pin vise hand holder to drill the holes.  No power drill required.  First drill a tiny hole by hand with the pin vise drill holder just to make certain the LEDs are center on the hole.  For hole location I used blue 3M painter tape and just marked the hole location with a sharpie pen.  To mount the LED strip I used hot glue. 
                  « Last Edit: 2014-02-01 22:25:58 by e7navy1999 »

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-04 00:35:53 »
                    It has been several months and dozens of car washes later and my homemade top case brake light is still going strong.  Very pleased

OfflinePhibspace

• K 1600 GT owner
                      « Reply #9 on: 2014-06-08 21:18:33 »
                      Hello,
                      An other kind of cheap solution for the top case third brake light of a GT.
                      Product find on internet, for about 40 euro two pieces, take 1 hour to install.
                      Refer to the 3 photos.
                      Philippe
                      Phibspace - K 1600 GT - 2013  owner

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2014-06-08 22:00:13 »
                        Sometimes the cheap solutions work best.
                        BTW on the second photo everything looks fine. On the third photo there seem to be a few leds missing in the right hand brake light.
                        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflinePhibspace

• K 1600 GT owner
                          « Reply #11 on: 2014-06-09 07:44:35 »
                          I have checked again, all the leds work fine. Mystery of the photo with sun light.
                          I have to add that the product is waterproof and stamped with CE mark for Europe
                          Philippe
                          Phibspace - K 1600 GT - 2013  owner

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #12 on: 2014-08-03 01:03:07 »
                            Just an update,  I mounted the homemade LED top case (the one above with all the pictures) and happy to say it is still working flawlessly.  I get many compliments.  It does not look like a brake light at all until one hits the foot or hand brake lever.  Weather wise and car washes it is holding up perfectly

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #13 on: 2014-09-20 22:15:21 »
                              Good Job Phibspace.  I think I might like your option better because it might working with the fancy flashing modules.  I've seen them where the brake lights flash in a pattern for use as a turn signal and attention grabber.  Mine LED hot glue method is still holding up great.  I wish I could have it stay dim while night driving.  I think it would make me more visible on rainy dark nights.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #14 on: 2014-09-21 16:52:40 »
                                e7navy

No reason why you can't make yours flash etc. Skene controller not expensive, easy to wire and three options for how lights work. I have mine attached to BMW top case light and P3 lights mounted to each side of number plate. Really makes bike visible day and night time

anything