Author Topic: Run in 600 mile Service  (Read 1211 times)

Offlineochmaheed

Run in 600 mile Service
    « on: 2013-09-16 01:31:28 »
    Just had the 600 mile run in service done.
    The deal is I pay the parts and dealer does the labour.
    Cost of oil, filter and rear diff oil .....93 smackers.
    mmmm. I feel I have just had my pants pulled down, unless folks can tell me its a really special filter and oil ?
    4,5 litres oil, a wee bit diff oil and a small oil filter?  och at least I get free coffee and orange drink whilst waiting lol.

how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineWinston Smith

Re: Run in 600 mile Service
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-09-16 11:37:29 »
      A litre of the liquid gold is about £15, but the stealer will probably have in bulk at cost, so say a tenner a litre.

Filter? £13-ish

Drive oil? No idea unless they charge for a full bottle.

I seem to recall my 'free' service was about £65-ish
      Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineBob S

« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-16 15:28:31 »
        I don't think they get the 5w 40 Power 1 oil in bulk and I think it is around about 17-18 quid a litre so that will be £70. Oil filter is as Winston said. I did have one dealer charge me for 1 litre of the final drive oil once. As the final drive only takes 200cc or so I asked them to give me the rest of the oil I paid for. It is about £15 a litre.
        2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinebirddog67

« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-16 18:56:14 »
          Depending your location/sales tax, etc. $93 bucks is standard. Add your dealer's shop rate to that to determine your savings/decision point. Then add the dealer fee for resetting your computer after you've changed your oil. My dealer does not charge a resetting fee if I purchase the oil and filter from him. The 600 mile run-in service should be done by the dealer to preserve your warranty. Subsequent oil changes conducted by you are within warranty parameters.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-09-16 21:43:27 »
            Over here the oil alone is about € 100 at the dealers. You can buy the identical oil on line for half the price.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineEricsK1600GT

« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-17 02:01:00 »
              Welcome to the BMW ownership experience!!!
              I have owned 19 new BMW's and I always wonder the same, but I guess that is the price of the tech and training they go thru... Good luck with your new bike

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-17 10:32:14 »
                Welcome to the BMW ownership experience!!!
                I have owned 19 new BMW's and I always wonder the same, but I guess that is the price of the tech and training they go thru... Good luck with your new bike

Or the cost of flash 'corporate' dealerships and franchising....?? :o
                Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned