Author Topic: Do I need system 6?  (Read 2422 times)

OfflineSpokkie

• IBA #55735 FarRider #493
    Do I need system 6?
    « on: 2013-09-18 02:02:41 »
    I'm in the process of purchasing a 1600gtl. I already have a Nolan n-com set up in our helmets. Why do I need to spend $1000 on the system6 and another $800 for a new helmet. What's so special about it? Am I wasting my money or is there something I'm missing?
    "Lone rider"

OfflineBob S

Re: Do I need system 6?
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-09-18 17:29:50 »
      It depends what you want to do when you are riding the bike. If all you want is an intercom then stick with what you have. If you opt for the BMW audio system then you will be able to pair your own helmet to it but not your passengers. The only Bluetooth system that allows the pairing of both helmets to the audio system is the BMW one , which would mean spending loads on that and also on the system 6 helmets too.
      I have a Sena SMH10 which works great as an intercom. My wife is not worried about listening to music when we ride and is happy with just the intercom function. When I ride solo I can pair the Sena to the bike audio system. If we both wanted to listen to the sound system the problem we would have is that the BMW and Schuberth helmets are not comfortable for my wife so that is a non starter.
      If I was buying the K1600 again, and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't opt for the sound system. I can connect an MP3 device by wire to the Sena and listen to music that way, which is all I need.

2012 K1600GT-SE

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-09-18 20:08:56 »
        I don't have the audio system on the bike. I was using bluetooth as intercom and to connect to the Zumo, but switched back to wired. I chose Autocom but could also be Starcom (same factory) or Baehr (good but very expensive) or AKE (the one Steinar uses). Connects everything - Zumo with media player, my phone, my wife's phone, rider to passenger, bike to bike radio - and works like a charm with good sound quality and no pairing issues.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-18 22:04:09 »
          Hi,

I have the audio unit/sat nav on my bike and have an Autocom system hard wire into it. Listen to the radio/USB music/sat nav instruction and intercom all in one. Works faultlessly.

Regards blue-toothing, my mate has a Schuberth [/size] and his blue-tooth works fine with it.
          « Last Edit: 2013-09-20 22:02:24 by Speighty37 »
          Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineSpokkie

• IBA #55735 FarRider #493
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-09-19 09:05:55 »
            Thanks for the information. I will try out my Nolan system first and see how I go.
            "Lone rider"

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
              « Reply #5 on: 2013-10-09 00:19:52 »
              Forked out for 2 system 6 helmets and the relevant blue tooth kit.

Compared to my previous wired Autocom, its mutch better.

Connection is quick and efficient and sound is good too. (only upto 75mph though so far)

Just enjoy it!

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                « Reply #6 on: 2013-10-09 09:28:06 »
                Hope you got the System 6 EVO.  Its a much better helmet than the 6.

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
                  « Reply #7 on: 2013-10-09 10:50:09 »
                  Yes its the Evo.
                  Very quiet.
                  Allows the audio to be played at a fairly low level and still be heard comfortably.
                  First time for me with drop down sun visors - brilliant invention!
                  « Last Edit: 2013-12-02 21:15:43 by DJS »
                  Just enjoy it!

Offlineantevalente

« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-12 22:01:40 »
                    Hi,

I have the audio unit/sat nav on my bike and have an Autocom system hard wire into it. Listen to the radio/USB music/sat nav instruction and intercom all in one. Works faultlessly.

Regards blue-toothing, my mate has a Schuberth [/size] and his blue-tooth works fine with it.
                    Hi, How do you hard wire in to the system?
                    2012 K1600GTL

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                      « Reply #9 on: 2013-10-13 08:54:10 »
                      If you look under Audio systems you will find how to.  You just connect the alpine unit to your Autonomy with a music lead.  Don't bother with the switched one, its twice the price.  Easiest place to do it is where the speaker leads come out of the unit.  The wiring instructions in the box show a R1200RT but its the same on the 1600 colour wise. Its part no is 2273
                      « Last Edit: 2013-10-13 18:52:18 by RTman10 »

OfflineTrophyian

« Reply #10 on: 2013-10-19 20:28:49 »
                        I have a Schuberth C3 helmet with Scala Rider, my wife has a Nolan helmet with Scala Rider and I have a Tom Tom Urban Rider with ram mount on my K1600. All the Bluetooth works fine between helmets and the Sat Nav speaks to me. It's  a whole lot cheaper than the BMW sat nav and their own helmet setup..which in my view is a rip off.

Our system is transferable and  works on three different bikes each with a ram mount.

Incidentally I don't use the bikes Bluetooth system at all ( tried but failed).  It failed also to play music from my i phone 5 via bluetooth OR USB!

I wasn't prepared to buy their own Sat Nav or helmets, and reading what is on here..not at all disappointed.I am certainly not surprised at how BMW want to lock you into their own system..which by all accounts is far from perfect!!

Offlinemccartn

« Reply #11 on: 2013-10-20 02:50:39 »
                          I wouldn't bother buying the BMW system. All blue tooth systems in my opinion are great but fiddly failing on occasions trying to pair different devices ect ect ,plus no matter how good the head set the wind noise is always there when listening to music ect.
                          I've a Scala system when my wife travels with me which is occasional that works great and is reasonable to buy.
                          When I want to listen to music clearly  I put in set of moulded ear plugs I got off  ultimate ears into my I-touch. Once they take an impression of your ears you will have a set of earphones that will give crystal clear sound quality , serves as great hearing protection and totally eliminate wind noise  . I think its is money better spent. Link to their site. There's probably some one closer to you.
                          https://ultimateear.com/
                          who wants to be taking phone calls on a bike any way! and 90% of the time anyway you wont need the sat nav and you can always blue-tooth through a Scala or similar system of your choosing when you need to.
                          Just my tuppence worth
                          Neil

OfflineHawkjock

« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-26 08:36:43 »
                            I recently took a test ride on a GTL in Germany and used my old Interphone 4 just too see how it would pair. I was amazed at how fast it paired to the bike and my phone. I rode the bike for about 3 hours and enjoyed the music. It does not work with the menu wheel so I had to adjust the volume on the helmet. Here is a PDF from BMW about different bluetooth systems:

OfflineHawkjock

« Reply #13 on: 2013-10-26 15:27:09 »
                              After reading allot of forums, I decided to check out the System 6 EVO and the Schuberth C3 Pro. These are 2 different helmets. Even though Schuberth makes them both, they are very different in the way they fit. I was told by the sales attendant that Shuberth used the same shell for both helmets. I'm not sure I believe him though. The C3 Pro definitely felt lighter in my hands than the 6 EVO. When I put on the C3 Pro, it didn't squeeze my cheeks as much as the EVO. The EVO does have better clearance for glasses though (the Pro pushed the frames of my glasses to my head and made them ride up off of my nose). The Pro field of view was less than the EVO when looking down (say, at my dash). The downslope of the EVO in the front didn't cut off my downlooking vision like the Pro did. The sun visor in the Pro also had more gap at the sides than the EVO, which I found distracting with the bright light coming in from the sides. With the EVO I can lift the face with the shield already up but with the Pro I have to close the shield then raise the face. I think they are both very good helmets, and depending on your head shape, one or the other will work. I purchased the EVO because I liked the increased field of view, the greater coverage the sun screen provided, the operation of the face with the shield up or down, the fit for my head shape, and it is $180 less than the Pro. The price didn't matter as much since I had decided to purchase the Pro first, but I had to try them both on before shelling out that much cash and the EVO was just a better fit and I like the function and visibility better. I have to add that the Pro is DOT and ECE certified whereas the EVO is only ECE certified.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #14 on: 2013-10-27 04:58:21 »
                                1600 Blue Tooth system in my opinion is nearly worthless.  After nearly 9 months I never use it.  It skips, lost connections, absolute failure.  Better off going with Scala.  Sena10 is also about as worthless but does work well helmet to helmet only. 

anything