Author Topic: Vibrations  (Read 2911 times)

OfflineBarnsyuk

Vibrations
    « on: 2013-09-29 12:48:36 »
    At slightly illegal highway speed the bike seems to vibrate very badly. Whether loaded with panniers or not the mirrors shake so bad I cannot see the traffic receding behind me, or more importantly the police catching me. Has anyone else experienced this? is it just my bike (K1600GT in red) or do they all vibrate over 100mph?

Comments would be most welcome.
    1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

OfflineWinston Smith

Re: Vibrations
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-09-29 20:10:08 »
      My left mirror has a bit of vibration, right one not.
      Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-30 00:01:24 »
        Barnsyuk,
        The police catching you ? just twist the right hand a bit more ;D
        So far no mirror vibrations on mine, not quite been at theoretical top speed yet but not far off. ( Legal speel : I do not condone reckless speed and any speed done above national speed limits is done strictly on private land or where no speed limits apply. Honest occifer. ;) )
        how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-09-30 08:27:00 »
          At slightly illegal highway speed the bike seems to vibrate very badly. Whether loaded with panniers or not the mirrors shake so bad I cannot see the traffic receding behind me, or more importantly the police catching me. Has anyone else experienced this? is it just my bike (K1600GT in red) or do they all vibrate over 100mph?

Comments would be most welcome. It should not be doing it. Suggest you get your friendly BMW dealer to check it our. You do not say but is the vibration noticeable through the frame or just the mirrors ?

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-09-30 11:15:15 »
            No vibrations, mine runs like on rails even at top speed (220 km/h on German Autobahn at 6am in the morning = no traffic  ;D ).
            Ask your dealer to check. Could be tires, bad balancing of wheel, etc
            It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-30 11:27:28 »
              HDB, mine is also smooth, just a little vibration in left mirror.
              Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineBrick

« Reply #6 on: 2013-10-01 08:55:12 »
                I get a little vibration from the corners of my larger Ztechnik tour screen at silly speeds. Dropping it to its low point will usually fix it.

Offlineomnione

« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-02 18:21:01 »

I get no unusual vibrations at all at any speed including on one trip to Germany were the bike was maxed out on an unrestricted section of the autobahn, indicated 147 mph which must be slightly inaccurate because I understand the bike is  limited to 135 mph. (GTL)

Have fun and flame away I'm not bothered it was too good an opportunity to miss, great fun and completely legal, by the way even at that speed I was overtaken by a Porsche that had a least another 30 + mph on me. Can't imagine getting away with that on the M6 in the U.K.

But to try to address the point of your post could your problems be a bad tyre or wheel inbalance, even some  road surfaces can cause strange vibrations! Does the vibration occur at random or on the same stretch of road? My guess if it is at or roundabout the same speed then rebalancing the front and rear wheels will probably cure it.

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #8 on: 2013-10-04 16:57:27 »
                    Thanks everybody, The high speed was done on German autobahns and the bike was maxed out (154mph) with panniers and solo riding. Sounds like I need to get it checked out, my vibrations are pretty bad after what ya'll described as smooth running at high speeds.

Thanks.

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #9 on: 2013-10-26 12:23:12 »
                      Well the bikes been to the dealers and they checked it out, but found nothing wrong!! so I still have the vibration over about 95mph. I'm on another set of tyres and made sure the wheels were well balanced before going on the bike and the same vibrations. Looks like it could be a long investigation.

On a brighter note I did complain about paint flaking off the corner of the cylinder head and BMW have agreed to fit a new one!! that is once they have found one..

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
                        « Reply #10 on: 2013-10-26 22:07:07 »
                        Havent run mine in yet so not gone fast enough. Soon though!
                        Just enjoy it!

OfflineHawkjock

« Reply #11 on: 2013-10-27 17:00:25 »
                          Test rode a GTL up to 180kph, no issues...super smooth.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #12 on: 2013-10-28 03:40:50 »
                            Check you wheel balance.  I have in the past lost a wheel weight or two but it is rare

Offlineislandbob

« Reply #13 on: 2013-12-26 20:46:39 »
                              Some months ago I was getting undue vibrations and tried all manner of things to sort the problem. I removed the front wheel to get the wheel balanced and still the problem persisted. In the end the front tyre was replaced and it transpired that the tyre itself was defective. Replaced under warranty and now running vibration free. In 34 years of riding I have never had a defective tyre before.
                              Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-25 17:39:28 »
                                Maybe it's the tyres, but i'm pretty sure the vibe has been there from new, thats 3 sets of tyres ago. Dealer cannot find a problem and is reluctant to run the bike at the speed the vibe is experienced (+95mph).

Will see what happens with next set of tyres.