Author Topic: SENA Helmet communications  (Read 5040 times)

Offlinee7navy1999

SENA Helmet communications
    « on: 2013-10-02 00:43:26 »
    I purchased a SENA Helmet Com system about 12 months.  Bluetooth connectivity to the BMW k1600 system is pathetic.  I called and wrote SENA tech support.  They just go for months with this big "give you the run around" story.  They ask the same questions over and over and never give a direct answer.  Their product IMHO SUCKS. 

OfflineBob S

Re: SENA Helmet communications
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-10-02 19:32:31 »
      I would have to disagree with you on that. I have been using a Sena SMH10 for almost two years now with no issues with the connection to the bike. The only problem I have had (and this is one that is common to all Bluetooth sets apart from BMW's own communicator) is you can't pair both headsets to the K16 audio system, only the drivers. But Sena have introduced a downloadable upgrade that will allow a passenger to listen to the same Bluetooth music source as the rider.
      2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-10-02 20:42:44 »
        I'm with Bob on this one............ Sena pairs up perfectly to the K16.

Have you tried pairing the other Sena to the bike ?

Do the two Sena units pair and work with each other ?

You do have the SMH10 and not the SMH5................. ?

It's so frustrating when you spend all that money on technology, and it fails to work as promiced.
        R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineScottishBeemer

• Newbie both here and to K1600GT (x K1300GT)
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-10-03 09:40:45 »
          I have had SMH10' for several years now, even before having the K1600 and they have always worked really well.
          I have connected painlessly to the K1600 although when doing so, I do lose some functionality of the control wheel on the handlebars and have to control volume etc from the Sena itself.
          I have never made any changes to the software on my units and was unaware that I could update this. Never checked as they always worked well.
          It should make you smile!

Offlineterry

« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-05 16:20:30 »
            Add a plus 1 to the SENA camp. I wouldnt use anything else that's currently on the market.
            Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2013-10-05 18:44:57 »
              Hi Gargy, Maybe I am just not giving it a good chance.  The 4.3 upgrade I just can not get ti to take.  The factory has been absolutely unhelpful to date.  As for the bluetooth connection with the K1600 my radio news program is very spotty at best.  If I go directly off my smart phone the connection is perfect.  Maybe I am just not tech enough

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2013-10-05 23:09:21 »
                To be honest, I paired the Sena to the K16 and then realised I was just complicating the system for what I wanted from it.

I have the Zumo 660 paired to my Sena SMH10, and listen to music from the micro SD card in the Zumo, the phone is connected to the zumo, which routes it through to the Sena, and that's about it.

I found the radio lost it's signal whilst riding, and if I want to listen to music, I like to listen to what I like, not what other people choose to play.

The only time I use the radio is when I'm washing the bike......................

Good luck.
                R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #7 on: 2013-10-06 17:01:01 »
                  Thanks again Gargy,  I have to listen to my morning pre-market stock reports for 30 minutes in the morning.  It comes over great on the BMW radio but as soon as I use my Sena10 the radio in the helmet skips and stalls.  On my phone to Sena works great.  I guess I will continue to use the radio blasting out against 80mph wind.  Again Sena tech support is as worthless as those ads one gets on email that claim they can grow 10" in two weeks

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                    « Reply #8 on: 2013-10-06 20:54:40 »
                    Maybe its time to look at the pros and cons on Bluetooth yet again
                    Pros.  No cables. Some bike to bike use.
                    Cons.  Telephone quality sound. Only half compatible with a 1600, helmet 1 only. Batteries. Never has been and never will be totally reliable  at staying paired.
                    I rest my case, wind my neck in and will continue to use a wired system. Me and the wife both get full high quality stereo,  with auto muting both get prompts' from the GPS and often have a 3 way phone call

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #9 on: 2013-10-06 21:28:33 »
                      +1 on the wired. I've tried bluetooth and - despite it's potential - at the moment it can't do (reliably) what I want from it. Therefore switched 'back' to Autocom.
                      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2013-12-01 18:06:53 »
                        After me and maybe other bitching for serveal months Sena finally has a now firmware upgrade 4.3rc1.  I just downloaded and updated my Sena SHC10.  I will let yall know how it goes.  I do like the Sena because of the large roll button works well with gloves on

Offlineswpaulsen

« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-23 04:43:47 »
                          Today, I was inquiring at my local BMW dealer about the Sena SMH10. He mentioned that only I (the rider) could be listen to the BMW's radio, but the passenger would have to connect to a different music source.  It seems that the 4.3rc1 firmware upgrade will fix the problem so both rider and passenger can pair with the bike and listen to it's music.  Has anybody had success with doing this upgrade?  I'm investigating which Bluetooth system to invest in.  My dealer recommends the BMW communication system because it is the only system that supports all of the features of the K1600.

« Last Edit: 2014-02-23 05:04:02 by swpaulsen »
                          Steve Paulsen

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                            « Reply #12 on: 2014-02-23 08:59:39 »
                            I would strongly advise against the BMW system as in my eyes it's flawed. The maim problem is it does not mute the Alpine unit when you talk so you have to switch it off to talk and then back on again. In addition the pillion cannot be connected to the GPS and must also control her volume from her headset.  As for any other make of Bluetooth kit, best of luck to you but BMW have done a good job of making sure nothing will totally work.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #13 on: 2014-02-23 09:39:34 »
                              Again. Nothing can beat a wired system at the moment. Could be Autocom, Starcom, J&M or AKE. If you really insist on wireless to the helmets, you can get bluetooth dongles with almost all wired systems. That way the wired part takes care of connecting everything and prioritizing between radio, nav, phone, talking to the passenger, etc and the only bluetooth link is from the system the helmets helmet.
                              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #14 on: 2014-02-27 13:19:11 »
                                Sena new firmware upgrade: 
                                Sena Released SMH10 Firmware Version 5.0
                                Sena Users,
                                [/i][/b]
                                 Thank you for using Sena products.

We are pleased to announce the release of the version 5.0 firmware of the SMH10 with major enhancements in functions and features such as Universal Intercom and Advanced Noise Control™.
                                - Universal Intercom: You can have an intercom conversation with non-Sena Bluetooth headsets using the Universal Intercom™ function.
                                - Advanced Noise Control™: It is equipped with wind noise suppression and intelligent Noise Gate in the intercom to limit the interference of wind noise and background noise while riding.
                                - Sidetone: If this feature is enabled, you can hear what you are speaking during an intercom conversation or a phone call.
                                You can upgrade your firmware using the new Device Manager v1.4.4 for Windows and v1.9.4 for Mac users.
                                Please be sure to register your product online in order to download the new Manager software, since free upgrade service is provided only to the registered users. For more details, please visit Sena web site at www.SenaBluetooth.com.
                                Please download the Device Manager or firmware.
                                  - Click Here to Download
                                Please download the new user’s guide.
                                  - Click Here to Download
                                The firmware upgrade service is provided only to the registered users.