Author Topic: Best windshield yet! (and it took 4 to find it!)  (Read 2592 times)

Offlineskphpns

Mostly love having my GT in the stable but there are a few shortcoming to this bike I'm having to either live with or find a way to change...
     My four biggest complaints are: 1. A spongebob type seat. 2. Bars to low and too far forward. 3. A rear shock that is not very compliant and has too little travel. 4. The worst stock windshield I've ever experienced. I've got 3 of the 4 fixed, the electronic suspension shock I'll have to live with as it is way impractical to change... I'll post my ramblings about the other fixes in my next post but address the windshield issue here since you've obviously clicked this post to hear about it.
     First off let it be said that I'm definitely over the top when it comes to bikes, I've owned close to 100 bikes, own 4 presently and am driven to make each one be the best it can be for me personally. So, regarding finding the right shield for this bike took me through 4 shields with 3 different companies. I won't mention the ones that are currently hanging, collecting dust and soon to be listed on eBay, just let you know which for me gets top honors and why.
     In past years I've purchased windshields for several different bikes from 7Jurock in So Cal. I've always been impressed by their innovative design and testing and their very fair retail pricing. I'm tall, 6'4" and don't mind looking through the windshield certain times when I really want as little wind as possible. With their design for this bike they seem to have overcome what was really bugging me from day one, terrible buffeting and a huge area of negative air space sucking me forward. Their design being wider, taller, vented and also having a slight flip on top works best for me and my passenger. Prior to getting these new shields I got the word that she hated this bike, complaining of being too high up in the saddle and being blown around like crazy. Seems like we have that solved, better overall wind protection and no buffeting.
     First I ordered a 25" with the GoldWing style vent and was totally happy with it, then gave thought that in the warmer months I could do with the 23" model. On this one I opted to just have a vent cut out without the elaborate closing feature, the more expensive GoldWing option. Back pressure is still reduced, looks are clean, saved $$$. I'm keeping them both. Again 7Jurock figured out how to make the slipstream enjoyable, keep it affordable and offer to their consumers a guarantee of getting it right for each individual need. They will make any changes that you desire should you not be 100% pleased. Find them at 7jurock.com, hopefully you'll echo my sentiments...

OfflineFrederik

Re: Best windshield yet! (and it took 4 to find it!)
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-12-02 19:54:49 »
      On Every of my BMW bikkels i always put another Seat and screen.
      This time my k1600gt 2013 black, recieved a sargant Seat and à secdemscreen in black version.  THE k1600 looks now very large.  Picture on demand.

Frederik
      Frederik

Offlinedtpetty

• 2014 GTL-E, 2004 R1150RTP 2 up conv, 2004 1150RTP
        Re: Best windshield yet! (and it took 4 to find it!)
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-07-13 02:39:11 »
        Wow!  Very reasonable pricing. Never heard of them but sounds like they make a quality product. I've always replaced stock with Aeroflow, but I know you are paying for the name. The vent is something new to me. Apparently started as a Goldwing thing. Seems like a no brainer - let through a little air to reduce turbulence and back pressure. Taking delivery in a couple weeks on a GTL-E. Everyone seems to hate the windshield. You'd think BMW with their fancy wind tunnels could get it right. The screen on my current 1150RT wasn't bad, just not as good as one properly sized for me, a little wider and with the flip on the top. Looks like I can get a 7JuRock with a fancy vent for the price of an Aeroflow alone. Guess that'll be my first add-on. 2nd will be sport boards from Illium works. Ridiculously over priced and worth ever penny. Have them on my RT and I feel much more relaxed and in control. Pegs are for dirt bikes IMHO. Guess next will be front fender rail and rear protection bars from Wunderlich. (Speaking of overpriced!) They should look nice with the chrome engine bar on the Ex, but more importantly give some good protection to the even more expensive BMW plastic bits. Anxiously awaiting the new bike!
        Dean