Author Topic: Cruise control switch on backorder longer than 2 months  (Read 1252 times)

OfflineTeeboot

• Carpe Diem
     My dealer (Houston Texas US) has been waiting for the switch since August. Has anyone experience this type of delays with parts? I’ve called BMW customer service myself and did not get a straight answer. Not good at all.
    I also have another part on backorder (Upper trim left) same story. Very disappointed..

GTL Dark graphite metallic

OfflineGeebee

Hi Teeboot. You are not alone. There are a couple of other people who since this summer have faced similar delays in ordering switches, mainly to replace faulty ones. Mine took around 12 weeks to get here. The most frustrating part was the lack of communication on the delay and the apparent impossibility of the local dealership (and the country level BMW seat) to obtain clear estimates from Germany. My switch finally arrived and the story I have been given is that it took longer because BMW recognised the poor quality of the switch parts their supplier was providing them with. So they seem to have been focusing on addressing that. In other words, the internal switch parts should now addressing the issue and we would not see repetitive switch replacements. Unfortunately, I was not able to obtain the new part numbers. And I am equally curious to see if someone would be able to provide us with those?
      But yes, this has been very disappointing, I totally concur. I just hope for now that the problem is addressed permanently as I really love this bike.
      Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
        In the UK the latest switch sets were shown as being available from the suppliers about 3 weeks ago. There is then the inevitably delay before they arrive at dealers.  Part numbers for all the switchgear have changed 3 or 4 times since the 1600 launch. Lets hope this latest issue solves the problem. The switch problem stared some time ago with the K1200 bikes. It now covers practically all the bikes. Here's hoping.

OfflineTeeboot

• Carpe Diem
          I found some information regarding the part numbers to discuss with my service manager next time I personally check on the progress. I want to make sure they have order the right parts.
          The key to customer service is "communication". I am also very frustrated by the" lack of it" from my service manager, more so with BMW motorcycles US. the K1600 is "state of the Art" engineering, but it is a real shame their "end to end" customer service is this bad.
          GTL Dark graphite metallic

OfflineGeebee

Thanks, Teeboot, for sharing cbdane's summary form the other forum. I hadn't noticed that yet but is very useful indeed.
            Geebee - K1600GT

Offlinechrisvds

Last Thursday, they installed the new switch set, after 6 months of waiting. Apparently indeed completely new developed. Looks about the same, but feels different when pushing the switches. Let's hope this time they solved the issue.
              Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.

stevenoneil

It would probably be in BMW's best interest to issue a recall on this part if there is such a wide spread issue.  Just how many riders are affected by the switch problem?  I have been riding my bike for a few months and have not yet have a problem. IMHO.

anything