Author Topic: K1600GLT Tire Flat  (Read 2738 times)

Offlinee7navy1999

K1600GLT Tire Flat
    « on: 2013-11-22 03:30:51 »
    Wanted to share a tip from fellow local BMW riders.  https://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html  Holy cow.  never a flat again.  Self balances so you save $30 bucks in balancing fees.  Amazing product, does not gel up in the cold weather.  Bike can sit for weeks and it still self balances.  No vibrations even at mach k1600 speeds!

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: K1600GLT Tire Flat
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-11-22 08:20:50 »
      Same stuff as Ultraseal. Put it in your 1600 with tyre sensors and no more sensors. 

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-11-22 09:43:20 »
        According to the site it's supposed to be TPMS friendly, except for Gold Wings of a certain year as those TPMS sensors are not hermetically sealed. Does this mean that the BMW sensors are not hermetically sealed as well?
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-11-22 12:17:53 »
          No idea.  But as you squirt the stuff through the valve and its very sticky its asking for trouble.  My dealer refuses to put it an any bike with pressure sensors. The belief that it also balances wheels is not quite true.  Get a tiny bit more in than you should in and it can badly unbalance a wheel at speed. There is also the worry that you could be hiding quite serious tyre defects until such time they get bad enough to result in rapid deflation. My opinion only of course.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-11-22 14:11:26 »
            My opinion as well. Better a puncture that you notice right away (well, not really) than worse damage after several punctures. Every puncture is likely to damage the integrity of the tire and that doesn't make it more reliable.
            I'm not even considering using this stuff. The only thing in a tire should be air. I was just wondering why it would affect TPMS sensors on certain GWs and not on other bikes.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-22 15:48:44 »
              Well I dont know if it works, or at least Ultraseal anyway. Put it in my last bike and went off round europe. Got a puncture and tyre went flat. The stuff was oozing slightly out the very small hole but never sealed anything  >:(
              Mine was bought off amazon and have heard it was possibly not the right ultraseal but a "altered" formula from somebody that used to import the "proper" stuff,
              So wont be using it again.
              how much Mr BMW ?

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-23 02:50:14 »
                Thanks for all sharing different experiences.  I have not tried it myself.  The site does state TPMS friendly except for goldwing.  It is possible a Chinese fake is being sold on Amazon as well.  Thanks all and Happy Thanksgiving!  soon

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #7 on: 2015-06-25 01:02:44 »
                  holy cow, I got another flat this morning on the way to work.  large piece of glass!! 

OfflineBerber

« Reply #8 on: 2015-07-10 11:49:15 »
                    I put that stuff into my CB1300  tyres and got wheel wobble. The mech drained some out ( I had followed the instructions to the letter) and the wheel wobble went away. Never again!

OnlineJim

« Reply #9 on: 2015-07-10 14:12:39 »
                      Also have used it, put it in prior to a trip to Turkey, anything above 90mph and the bike would shake itself to bits. It did however hold a puncture that I picked up on the way home in Greece and got me home safely but would not use again
                      2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2017-06-18 22:49:41 »
                        I did the unthinkable this morning.  I have been changing and balancing my own tires on my K16 for many years now.  This morning, for some reason I stuck the tire iron in the wrong place and snapped off my TPMS sensor.  OMG I was in shock...all the part dealers are closed for the next couple of days.  Mail order would take 3-4 days to reach me.  As a quick fix I purchase a metric bolt with the same thread and drilled it out to let air pass.  I removed the snapped off TPMS Pin Bolt with a torx head...had to hammer the torx into the hole of the snapped off pin and unscrew it very carefully.  It is lock tightened in so be careful.  Once I removed the snapped off pin I replaced it with the bolt that I had modified.  Torque is 9nm.  Thanks to Steiner for the BMW k16 service manual on this site.  I think is is a good fix.  The original is aluminum to help reduce out of balance.  My new home made bolt is steel but it will have to work until next weekend when the new part comes in.  I did have to add two 1/4oz wheel weights but overall the wheel balanced out fine.  Lesson Learned, do not get distracted when taking off or putting on the tire.  Next time I will clearly mark the TPMS location with some tape. 

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                          « Reply #11 on: 2017-06-19 13:10:56 »
                          .......  Next time I will clearly mark the TPMS location with some tape.
                          The location of the sensors should be marked with a sticker from factory. I know they are on my bike and every other K1600 I've seen so far.

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #12 on: 2017-06-19 14:56:03 »
                            I personally wouldn't be putting into my tyres , just my opinion its your choice ,

Onlinesteve.med

« Reply #13 on: 2017-06-19 20:04:37 »
                              last year went Scotland on the way back I noticed the pressure was dropping slightly
                              pumped it up and rode 100miles to a hotel for the night next morning yes it was flat a small bit of flint cut between the grove
                              I had no option walked to Helford's emergency repair kit got me home
                              and this is problem all up the back of the bike the excess was every where it did not come off >:(
                              DONT USE IT

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #14 on: 2017-06-19 20:16:47 »
                                totally agree,,  I do carry a tubeless repair kit and a  mini compressor in my tank bag at all times , touch wood never had to use it yet ,