Author Topic: Newbie with Cardo G9x news  (Read 8916 times)

Offlinedpontow

Newbie with Cardo G9x news
    « on: 2013-11-22 22:03:11 »
    Brand new to this forum and K1600 GTL ownership.  In fact, our new 2014 bike is still being readied at the dealer and don't even have it at home yet.

In trying to prepare myself for different setup items I would have to take care of regarding bluetooth / audio / intercom, I contacted Cardo Systems to determine if my Cardo Scala Rider Q2 multiset was a "standard" (no A2DP) or a Multiset Pro (includes A2DP).  Unfortunately, I do not have the A2DP.  I did find out however from my local BMW dealer that starting December 1st, there is to be a type of "close out" sale on the G9 units and my dealer will be offering them at $349.  He said that Cardo was doing a full line refresh.  So, I started nosing around on the Internet and found that Cardo announced some new items at the EICMA show in Milan and one of them is a G9x model.  I contacted Cardo to ask about it and this is what they had to say:

The Scala Rider G9x will have all the same features the current G9 has and the ability to pair with two cell phones, removable speaker option, music sharing between driver and passenger, also a different style of microphone.  I do not have any information at this time when it will be available and what it will cost.
    I then asked the following question:  The "removable speaker option".[/size]  [/size]I assume that to mean helmet speakers that plug into and out of the unit.[/size]  [/size]If so, will this be a "standard" 3.5 mm jack such that earphones can be attached in place of the helmet speakers?[/size]
    And I got this response:  They more than likely will have the 3.5 mm jack but I cannot say for sure because I haven't seen it yet. You will be able to use earphones as long as it fits inside the jack properly.
    I thought some of you might find this information useful.
    Dale

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Newbie with Cardo G9x news
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-11-23 08:48:40 »
      Sounds very interesting.  Wont work fully with your GTL though. Your pillion will get you but nothing from the bike.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-11-23 11:58:38 »
        Cardo Scala itself is quite good. I had the G4. Problem is the bluetooth on the bike itself. That's why I switched back to wired.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinedpontow

« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-24 03:56:57 »
          Been running a wired setup on an R1200RT. I cable from the Scala Q2 directly to a Garmin. I play music from the Garmin's memory card. Can adjust volume and change tracks on the Garmin. GPS announcements override the music. Wife and I intercom communicate via bluetooth. She listens to HER music via iPod plugged directly into her Scala unit. We don't mind the cables since we've never done anything else. The system works pretty well for us.

On the GTL, can you plug into the bike system or the GPS (we will have the Navigator V unit) like we currently do?

Dale

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-11-24 13:55:08 »
            You can not wire in the GPS as BMW use their own system. However you should be able to wire into the bike's speakers. I swapped the BMW nav cradle for an original Garmin Zumo cradle (as I have a Zumo 660 and not a BMW nav) and hard wired the nav to an Autocom set. That way we both can hear the nav directions, both listen to music from the nav and the wife has her own phone connected to the Autocom as well so theoretically we can both make telephone calls at the same time (even to each other  ;D).
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-24 14:37:43 »
              Any GPS either a Garmin or a Nav V will not let you play music from it once its mounted in a 1600 with an Alpine unit fitted. The Navy V also has no audio out socket As F NLD says you can wire an Autocom type unit directly to the Alpine unit and both you and your pillion will get everything.

Offlinedpontow

« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-24 17:48:23 »
                So, it sounds like there is no 3.5 mm output jack on either the Nav V or the Alpine audio unit. When I said that I was "cabled" to the Garmin it was through the 3.5 mm jack. If one is able to hardwire an Autocom to the Alpine unit, does anyone know if you can hardwire in a 3.5 mm jack to the Alpine unit?

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #7 on: 2013-11-24 18:03:07 »
                  Autocom make a special cable that can be wired to the speaker cables of the alpine unit.  It then plugs into the Autocom unit and whatever the Alpine unit is doing, radio, USB, Gps will be heard by both of you. Full details are in this forum.

Offlinedpontow

« Reply #8 on: 2013-11-27 07:56:40 »
                    Ordered the Autocom stereo lead cable today with the toggle switch p/n 2275 from Rocket Moto Sport in New Hampshire.  Adam was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was highly recommended by the US rep for Autocom. Rocket actually has a $20 mod they do to the cable to reduce the volume that comes through the connection which I have read is almost too loud with the Whiz Wheel only set to 1.  Will tie in to the Alpine unit at the outgoing speaker leads. Will try cabling to the new lead with my existing Cardo Q2 that I have had for several years. Should be able to completely switch off the bike speakers and hear everything through my headset that you normally hear through the bike speakers. With a "Y" connector the wife can either cable up with me or cable in to her iPod if she wants to hear her own music.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #9 on: 2013-11-27 19:19:40 »
                      Adam @ Rocketmoto has helped out a lot of people on this forum; even me all the way in The Netherlands (via mail).
                      I think he has a large clientele from this forum.

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2013-11-27 22:51:07 »
                        Any GPS either a Garmin or a Nav V will not let you play music from it once its mounted in a 1600 with an Alpine unit fitted. The Navy V also has no audio out socket As F NLD says you can wire an Autocom type unit directly to the Alpine unit and both you and your pillion will get everything.

I have to disagree with you on this one.

I can put my Zumo 660 into the BMW sat nav mount, and I can get music to play out of the speakers from the sat nav's sd card. So the Alpine unit must be dealing with the Zumo in some fashion.

Haven't tried to bluetooth the Zumo to the Alpine unit and then to my Sena SMH10, as I keep the Alpine unit out of the system. If I want radio, I use the speakers, which is usually only when I'm washing the bike.

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2013-11-28 09:27:01 »
                          Something to do with the software in your 660 I suspect. On the Nav IV it wont.  I don't think its possible to Bluetooth your 660 via the Alpine but then you never know. I'm just glad all I have to do is plug in one cable and everything works in any combination I want. 

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
                          • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
                            • Homepage
                          « Reply #12 on: 2013-11-28 15:40:37 »
                          The Garmin GPS IS connected to the Alpine, but uses only one wire for mono . and not stereo. This line is used for transferring the direction voice from the GPS into the Alpine.

The BMW Nav IV and V is by software inside the GPS made so that it disables the possibility to play music from the GPS when mounted.
                          This is because it has only one wire for mono going into the Alpine.

I modified the GPS mount so I have direct cables from the GPS  NAV IV and V  into my intercom. Also for the mic signal.

** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

Offlineantevalente

« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-22 16:30:42 »
                            Hi

Have the GTL and was thinking of buying the ScalaRider G9 Powerset. My plan was to pair it with the sat nav not installed on the bike, and thereafter install the sat nav on the bike. Do I understand that this will not work?? and that me and my wife will not be able to listen to the sat nav at the same time?
                            2012 K1600GTL

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
                              « Reply #14 on: 2014-02-22 16:41:25 »
                              I ordered the Cardo G9x power set - delivery should be end of March. Main motivation for me: they offer now a "BMW mode" that was tested with the K1600 and should work correctly (although not with the magic wheel). Same functionality is available with the Cardo G9, if you install firmware V1.3 or higher. As soon as I have it, I'll let you know how it works.

BMW Bluetooth Audio System Compatibility Pairing Mode (tested on BMW K1600)
                              Details: The scala rider G9 can be paired to a mobile phone and a BMW Bluetooth Audio System at the same time.
                              Pairing with a BMW Bluetooth Audio System:
                              With a scala rider G9 in Standby mode, press and hold the Volume down button for 5 seconds, until the Blue and Red LED's begin rapidly alternating.
                              Search for Bluetooth devices using the BMW Bluetooth Audio System and follow the instructions to select and pair to the scala rider G9.

Improved compatibility with Garmin Zumo 660 and A2DP Music streaming

For full release notes, select Scala Rider G9 here
                              « Last Edit: 2014-02-22 16:43:42 by HDBeemer »
                              It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)