Author Topic: K1600 mirrors  (Read 1252 times)

OfflineSimsonMc

K1600 mirrors
    « on: 2013-11-28 12:11:58 »
    Hi everyone

I'm writing this post to let you know of a recent incident that has cost me a bit of money and was a bit of a surprise to me.

One night coming home I was riding Dear Beloved through a typical Australian down pour (rain).  After driving her into the garage, I hopped off her and then went to put her on the centre stand.  As the centre stand was wet, I slipped and lost my balance which meant Dear Beloved ending up leaning against some wooden benches in my garage.  During this gentle fall onto the benches, the mirror and top box ended up taking the weight of the bike.  When I lifted Dear Beloved off the bench I noticed that the mirror had come off.  At first I thought no big deal, motorcycle mirrors are usually designed to do this and I would just pop it back on.

Well apparently not the K1600.

The mirror bolts onto the front panel carrier which is essentially a sub frame made out of cast alloy.  So I was shocked to notice that such a minor impact had snapped the frame.  There was no damage to the mirror.  All that happened to the mirror was a scuff mark which polished out with a bit of plastic cleaner.  So that gives you an indication on how light the impact was.  So when I took the mirror off there is a heavy duty spring and a nylon lock nut attaching the mirror arm to the base.  This was done up so tight that the mirror would not pivot.  So $600 for the part (plus a 2 week wait from Germany) and almost as much in labour, Dear Beloved is back together again just like a brought one.

I tried for a warranty claim but BMW would not come to the party.

The thing that is perplexing me and someone might be able to enlighten me is this:

I was told by BMW mechanic that the screw, spring and lock nut needs to be done up so tight because if the mirror was able to pivot then this would cause the mirror to vibrate at high speeds and this would cause undue stress on the front panel carrier sub frame and hence the cast alloy would crack.  A plausible explanation.

However there is another part of me that says that motorcycle mirrors are usually designed to be able to take minor impacts without destroying anything.  Old K and R series mirrors just popped off and you were able to put them on without fuss.  Also the spring and lock nut makes me think that the mirror assembly has been designed so that the nylon lock nut and spring can be pre tensioned to a point where the mirror can pivot if it gets bumped but not vibrate when on the move.  If it wasn't designed to move then why have the spring in there in the first place?  Why would BMW waste money on a spring that was not required when a simple nut and washer would do.

If anyone can shed light on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Simon
    Current: Red K1600GT Past: R1150RT & K100RT

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: K1600 mirrors
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-11-28 12:53:07 »
      The mirrors are designed to swing back on contact with anything. A thing many of us have practiced. I have never heard of the mirror ever getting any more than a scuff and never any damage to the inner frame. They are attached  to the bike in the factory and are folded back for shipment. The only time they might vibrate is if the nut comes a bit loose but this is obvious as you can feel the play at the pivot. Your damage was obviously caused by some plonker overtightening the thing, possibly the mechanic who told you they have to done up solid.
      « Last Edit: 2013-11-28 13:13:23 by RTman10 »

OfflineC 4

« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-28 19:16:26 »
        Meant to swing back and forth not up and down. If it did what I'm picturing, it pushed the arm up, away from the ground, hence breaking the subframe. Seems like this would be in the design as a no speed drop would do the same thing.
        2013 K1600 GTL

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-28 19:25:54 »
          Suggest you go to the front of your bike and push the mirror arm back and see what happens. All will then be clear.

OfflineDavidMcK

« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-29 10:24:23 »
            This seems to be the way it is, another K1600 biker had the same problem and I have suffered as well.  In my case the bike fell over on a ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland.  The fall managed to break a mirror and I had a few scrapes on the right side of the bike.  Not only did the bike have to have a right hand side sub frame, mirror etc. fitted but it apparently needed a left hand side one as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Work that one out ?

BTW it also needed a new left hand exhaust.

In my opinion my dealer stuck his arm into P&O Ferries and serious words were exchanged between us.  The whole thing cost me £300.

Anyway I have a few bits of plastics and two exhausts, the right one has a small scuff and the left one is pretty much immaculate if anyone wants some bits cheap let me know.

OfflineSimsonMc

« Reply #5 on: 2013-11-29 12:12:35 »
              So the question being does anyone else's mirrors pivot?  I would be interested to know.  I remember before the accident happened, I tried to pivot the mirrors but they wouldn't move so at the time I just thought that they must have just been fixed into place with a washer and nut and designed never to move.  Now that I have seen the spring and nylon lock nut arrangement, I'm not so sure.

Your feed back is most welcome.

Thanks everyone.
              Current: Red K1600GT Past: R1150RT & K100RT

Offlineterry

« Reply #6 on: 2013-11-29 19:39:40 »
                The mirrors on my first, and now my present GTL, both pivot. I did have a knock on the right mirror on bike 1 but fixed it with metal putty. It doesn't pivot anymore but still OK according to nrew owner.
                Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2013-11-29 20:35:55 »
                  You can rotate the mirrors so that they face forward and don't stick out anymore. Easy when you park the bike in the garage over the winter. 
                  Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2013-11-29 20:59:57 »
                    Or fold them back and they tuck in  beside the lowered screen.
                    « Last Edit: 2013-11-29 21:43:08 by RTman10 »

Offlinebandersson

« Reply #9 on: 2013-11-29 22:44:51 »
                      I had a no speed drop with GTL while maneuvering on gravel my foot slipped and lost my balance. Fortunately side cases were not mounted at the time but Wunderlich rear side case protection bar set took the fall without damage however the cheesy  BMW OEM engine protection bars never touched the ground… after all they are made to protect engine and nothing else. Mirror flipped back and various top left side tupperware and speaker box had to be replaced… all told three hours in the shop and $2,000 USD restored to new. I replaced OEM BMW engine bars with Ilium bars.

I have a new set of black Wunderlich side case protection bars meant as replacement I didn’t need and a perfectly virgin set of BMW OEM engine guards that I will sell for total $175. USD plus shipping. If interested contact bandersson@myway.com. Words of wisdom under any conditions don't drop a GTL . I dropped my Goldwing twice under similar conditions… zero damage, not a scratch.
                      BruceA