Author Topic: WIFE HAS A COLD ARS!  (Read 2249 times)

OfflineSmokinJoe

WIFE HAS A COLD ARS!
    « on: 2013-11-30 15:02:17 »
    Well fellas, here is my dilemma:
    Finally got down to 49-50 degrees on turkey day and I connected the seat neater plug and we went for a brisk and refreshing ride to Chokoloskee to break the 600 mile mark.
    Wife is PO’d because her heater barely got warm (set to two dot hi) , could not tell if it was her butt heat or the seat. The hand grip heaters work like the LT, nice and hot and quick.
    So I got home to the garage, ran engine 20 minutes measured voltage, checked resistance and all seems OK. The seat was just slightly warm, by no means hot. My heater felt slightly warm under a sheepskin but never hot, even on high.
    I called my dealer and asked him if it was perhaps controlled by the systems software and temperature related. He was not certain and will find out and also check the heater output on some bikes there.
    I have searched all three forums I belong to and cannot find an answer.
    I will report back the problem, if any.
    Any other knowledge out there?
    2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL, 06 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee" MAGNESIUM BLACK, 00 HARLEY DYNA FXDX SUPERGLIDE, 02 HONDA CN-250, Smokin'

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: WIFE HAS A COLD ARS!
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-11-30 15:32:54 »
      Is it a GT or a GTL.  If you have covered all the seat with a sheepskin you have of course insulated yourself from the heating elements.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-11-30 17:44:04 »
        Is it a GT or a GTL.
        According to his signature a GTL.
        My wife stops riding with me even before it's time switch on the seat heating and use heated gloves.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSmokinJoe

« Reply #3 on: 2013-11-30 17:47:15 »
          Is it a GT or a GTL.  If you have covered all the seat with a sheepskin you have of course insulated yourself from the heating elements.
          GTL.
          My wife's seat is uncovered. Does yours get nice and hot on high?
          2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL, 06 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee" MAGNESIUM BLACK, 00 HARLEY DYNA FXDX SUPERGLIDE, 02 HONDA CN-250, Smokin'

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #4 on: 2013-11-30 17:51:42 »
            Yes nice and warm on setting 2. It easy though for the pillion to inadvertently switch it off with their knee.  My half gets too hot on full blast.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2013-12-01 16:19:53 »
              Did you check the heater switch on the left side of the seat?  It could be set to rider only and passenger is off?

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2013-12-01 16:29:54 »
                The switch on the seat only controls the passenger's seat (1-0-2). The rider's seat is controlled by the wonder wheel.
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSmokinJoe

« Reply #7 on: 2013-12-01 16:35:40 »
                  Did you check the heater switch on the left side of the seat?  It could be set to rider only and passenger is off?
                  Thanks for the input but yes, as stated, I have it in high (2 dot) 20 minutes, engine running. Just barely above ambient temp.
                  The main question is; does the software in the Can Bus have any effect were the outdoor temperature plays a part?

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2013-12-01 16:54:06 »
                    I don't think it does. But with nobody sitting on the seat its not going to get all that hot. Next time you go out tell her to leave the thermal unders off to see if that lets more heat through.  I wouldn't bother trying to get it hot before moving off, just switch on and go.
                    « Last Edit: 2013-12-01 17:32:36 by RTman10 »

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #9 on: 2013-12-01 16:57:56 »
                      Do you know how to perform an OMMs test?  Just unplug the seat at the cable end and check omms with a cheap multimeter.  You should have omms on both front and back heater pads.  does not matter so much how many omms ...just that you get a reading

OfflineSmokinJoe

« Reply #10 on: 2013-12-01 23:22:51 »
                        Do you know how to perform an OMMs test?  Just unplug the seat at the cable end and check omms with a cheap multimeter.  You should have omms on both front and back heater pads.  does not matter so much how many omms ...just that you get a reading
                        I am well versed in VOM use, I am a master electrician & mechanical contractor. From the original post:
                        So I got home to the garage, ran engine 20 minutes measured voltage, checked
                         resistance and all seems OK. The seat was just slightly warm, by no means hot.
                         My heater felt slightly warm under a sheepskin but never hot, even on high.
                        Does anyone know if the Can Bus effects the heater ops?

OfflineSmokinJoe

UPDATE Re: WIFE HAS A COLD ARS!
                          « Reply #11 on: 2013-12-14 02:47:07 »
                          Well fellas, here is my dilemma:
                          Finally got down to 49-50 degrees on turkey day and I connected the seat neater plug and we went for a brisk and refreshing ride to Chokoloskee to break the 600 mile mark.
                          Wife is PO’d because her heater barely got warm (set to two dot hi) , could not tell if it was her butt heat or the seat. The hand grip heaters work like the LT, nice and hot and quick.
                          So I got home to the garage, ran engine 20 minutes measured voltage, checked resistance and all seems OK. The seat was just slightly warm, by no means hot. My heater felt slightly warm under a sheepskin but never hot, even on high.
                          I called my dealer and asked him if it was perhaps controlled by the systems software and temperature related. He was not certain and will find out and also check the heater output on some bikes there.
                          I have searched all three forums I belong to and cannot find an answer.
                          I will report back the problem, if any.
                          Any other knowledge out there?
                          I brought bike to dealer to check the seat heater. Dealer said the seat is operating the same as the others in his store and it is a crappy seat heater, especially if compared to the KLT. He is still trying to find out if it's operation is temperature dependent. He also said the 2014 seat is an entirely different design and can't be used on my 2013 bike. That's all I have for now, not the best news.  :( BUMMER!

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #12 on: 2013-12-14 16:48:45 »
                            Sorry to hear about what the dealer said.  An uphostry shop in my town installs new seat heaters for $75.  Maybe consider just replacing it with a better quality one?  The seat heaters on my 2012 work great and it does get well into the zero degree days.  I typically stop riding when it is below 30f 

OfflineSmokinJoe

« Reply #13 on: 2013-12-15 15:22:10 »
                              Sorry to hear about what the dealer said.  An uphostry shop in my town installs new seat heaters for $75.  Maybe consider just replacing it with a better quality one?  The seat heaters on my 2012 work great and it does get well into the zero degree days.  I typically stop riding when it is below 30f
                              Thanks, will advise outcome.

Offlinebandersson

« Reply #14 on: 2014-01-11 00:02:59 »
                                My 2013 GTL pilot & pillion seat heaters works fine... last time wife used it she rapped my helmet and asked how to turn it off she had a very hot ars. I had accidentally set it on hi.
                                BruceA