Author Topic: Newbie with questions.  (Read 2597 times)

OfflineTony23

Newbie with questions.
    « on: 2013-12-05 18:50:14 »
    Hi.

New to here so a bit of an introduction. My name`s Tony by the way.
    I`ve had a couple of RT`s over the last few years and rate them very highly, decided Sept this year to have a change and got a new GS WC, lovely bike but not sure if it`s quite me and the nail in the coffin for it, the wife can`t get comfy on the pillion. Bearing in mind we`ve got 3000 miles in the Dolomites booked for next summer plus some other trips this is a major issue, so didn`t quite fancy going back to an RT as I`ve had 2 of em so looking at the K1600gt.
    Had a brief test ride (1hr) last week and was impressed enough to put a deposit down to hold the bike until this weekend when I get it for a full day. It`s a late 2011 with 11k on the clock, fully loaded as they say with the topbox and a good price.
    Dealers are offering a "free" nav 5 with used bike sales for the next 10 days or so, question is does the nav 5 fit the 2011/2012 bikes. I already have the nav 4 so not a major issue but would like to check.
    Also , and I know this has been asked on several occasions, but does the K1600gt handle well in the hairpins of the Alps. The Rt coped well but the additional weight of the K1600 is a concern.
    I`m kind of 85% convinced that its the right bike for us, just trying to get over that 15% doubt really, I suspect Saturdays test will sort that out thou ;)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Newbie with questions.
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-12-05 19:02:02 »
      Your Nav IV will fit perfectly but if you take the V get them to change the dash cover. I owned 3 RTs Before buying my GTL '. I have no problems agility wise but the RT is a bit more flickable. Its no contest on the engine though. Running costs seem to be about the same.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-12-05 19:18:07 »
        Tony, welcome to this forum.
        The K1600 is my first BMW, so I can't compare it with an RT, but RTman10 has already done that.
        I hope the weather on Saturday is better than today with all the storms on both sides of the North Sea.
        If it is, the 15% of doubt will disappear quickly  ;D .
        « Last Edit: 2013-12-05 19:34:44 by FP-NLD »
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #3 on: 2013-12-05 19:24:33 »
          Having done the Trollstigen Pass in Norway on my K1600 I can assure you that you will have no problems with the agility of the bike :)
          2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-12-05 20:12:12 »
            As all the above posts have stated............. no issues with agility.

Took my K16 to the Grossglockner and the Stelvio with no problems...................... Obviously it's not a sports bike, and knowing that it should be no problem seeing that you have already ridden a large tourer.

Good luck.
            R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #5 on: 2013-12-08 14:39:48 »
              Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've had my K16GT since January 13, I bought it for 2 up long days out and week end/tours way and it fills that criteria perfectly.

It's been 2 up and fully loaded around Hardnott, Wynrose and Kirkstone pass in the Lakes and various narrow and twisties around Snowdonia, Scottish borders and North Yorkshire and all without incident or worry.

I went to Stelvio in July...is there a better test for bike verses haipins ?!!  and in Sept I went to the French Alps to do as many of the passes and Cols as we could fit in in the 9 days we had....2500 miles worth.

There is plenty of steering lock and the precis throttle and low down torque make hairpins a doddle. There is also plenty of ground clearance and it takes spirited riding to finally touch the pegs down.

Comfort is as you would expect looking at the seats, g/friend and I have had numerous 200-300 mile days out with no issues.

The only limiting factor with this bike is your brain. You will have to recalculate it to accept a bike of this size and weight is sooooo good !

If you need any more convincing, I've covered 16500 miles in 11 months, which kinda proves its a pleasure to ride.

Ian

« Last Edit: 2013-12-08 14:43:09 by Speighty37 »
              Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineTony23

« Reply #6 on: 2013-12-08 15:51:07 »
                Thanks for the replies.

Had a 3hr test run Yesterday including some time spent in empty car park just getting used to the slow speed stuff. It does actualy turn better than my previous RT`s and my current Gs Wc.

Net result?  I pick it up next Saturday :) .

A quick plug for North Oxford BMW  they cut me a good deal and I get the nav 5 as a bonus :) .

Tony.

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #7 on: 2013-12-09 00:55:47 »
                  Congratulation, I doubt you'll be disappointed in any way.
                  Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #8 on: 2013-12-09 09:59:51 »
                    Welcome on board and you will love it!!
                    Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #9 on: 2013-12-09 12:55:55 »
                      Now you have it give lots of thought about what audio set up you need. No Bluetooth system will work totally with the alpine unit except the BMW kit and that's not perfect. I plumbed in an Autocom which works faultlessly. There's lots of advice here on all sorts of solutions.

OfflineTony23

« Reply #10 on: 2013-12-09 13:08:13 »
                        Now you have it give lots of thought about what audio set up you need. No Bluetooth system will work totally with the alpine unit except the BMW kit and that's not perfect. I plumbed in an Autocom which works faultlessly. There's lots of advice here on all sorts of solutions.

Been pondering this one.
                        At the mo` we have senna headsets for intercom , I run music from my iphone and audio from nav 4 and the wife just has her own iphone for her tunes.
                        The wife is happy with her tunes but may want the radio to her headset  if thats pos? If we can only pair one helmet to the bike then it will probably be hers for radio output. I`ll keep my headset paired to my nav 4 and iphone for music ( don`t take or make calls)  and we`ll see if that will all work :-\ Not too sure if that will send directions from nav 4 to her helmet tho`

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2013-12-09 13:45:49 »
                          First problem is the Nav wont give you music once its plugged into the bike. it will tell you to use your Alpine unit. Your Senna will probably connect with the bike but the second unit wont. The BMW kit requires System 6 helmets and although both of you will get music/radio only one if you will get the Nav and the system doesn't mute automatically when you talk. My advice is buy an Autocom Logic and a music lead to connect it to the Alpine. you then both get everything and you have volume control on the wheel. For music buy a memory stick for a couple of quid and load it MP3 format, plug it in and let the bike do the rest. Its going to cost you £30+ just for the cable to plug in your iPhone and that locker can get a bit hot. For you phone put a dongle on the Autocom and use the phone on auto answer.
                          « Last Edit: 2013-12-09 13:54:01 by RTman10 »

OfflineBob S

« Reply #12 on: 2013-12-10 13:44:05 »
                            First problem is the Nav wont give you music once its plugged into the bike. it will tell you to use your Alpine unit. Your Senna will probably connect with the bike but the second unit wont. The BMW kit requires System 6 helmets and although both of you will get music/radio only one if you will get the Nav and the system doesn't mute automatically when you talk. My advice is buy an Autocom Logic and a music lead to connect it to the Alpine. you then both get everything and you have volume control on the wheel. For music buy a memory stick for a couple of quid and load it MP3 format, plug it in and let the bike do the rest. Its going to cost you £30+ just for the cable to plug in your iPhone and that locker can get a bit hot. For you phone put a dongle on the Autocom and use the phone on auto answer.

The latest firmware update from Sena allows the second headset to pick up what the first one picks up, which would allow the passenger to hear the radio as well.

https://senabluetooth.com/sena-released-smh10-firmware-version-4-3/
                            2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #13 on: 2013-12-11 03:31:12 »
                              The first time Sena sent out the revision I could not get it to download and update my headsets.  The newest 4.3 work but loading the firmware onto the second was sort of a challenge.  I ended up loading the first head set, removing the software update from my computer than reinstall and than load the second headset.  Works great now

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #14 on: 2013-12-11 08:28:45 »
                                Does the system allow you and your passenger to get everything,ie music/radio and the GPS. Do you have any control of volume from the wheel.

anything