Author Topic: Autocom question  (Read 5482 times)

OfflineSpeighty37

Autocom question
    « on: 2013-12-12 17:11:00 »
    Hi,

I had my 10 year old Autocom unit fitted to my bike prior to collection last January.

It's been swapped from bike to bike quite a few times in those 10 years and has never missed a beat or worked anything other than faultlessly.
    [size=78%]
    [/size]
    [size=78%]But I'm wondering whether to treat myself to a shiny new unit for xmas. [/size]

As I say, there's nothing wrong with the unit but I wondered if a more up to date unit would give m anything over mine ?

Has anyone upgraded and noticed anything different ?

I'm not interested in going blue tooth or trying any other systems, I'm purely looking for comments re anyone who upgraded 'for the sake of it' and their findings of new tech over old.

Cheers,

Ian
    Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Autocom question
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-12-12 17:35:54 »
      If its 10 years old its probably only a 5 pin system. The latest Logic kit and the system before are 7 pin. The main problem you get with the older systems is the  expensive replacement head sets compared with the newer kit.  In addition Logic systems have volume for both rider and pillion and a much improved VOX.  Swap it for a Logic L1 or L2 kit. Its far superior. Wait until it packs up though, which might be another 10 years. By that time Bluetooth might be replaced with something that always works.
      « Last Edit: 2013-12-12 17:41:27 by RTman10 »

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-12-12 17:54:15 »
        I upgraded from a Pro 7 Sport to a SPA-2. Gives me more options, e.g. driver and passenger can both hear directions and music from the Nav. There also is a digital version by Starcom (same company that makes Autocom nowadays) which is supposed to have even more options, but I don't have experience with Starcom.
        Neer model also gives the option to add more accessories, like a blue tooth dongles for a telephone or other cord to the helmet to use ear buds as speakers.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #3 on: 2013-12-12 18:25:40 »
          SPA kits are too big if you have an Alpine unit under the seat. Logic units dont have the separate ambient noise sensor on the headsets but its not necessary on the 1600. Wire it to the Alpine unit and you both get everything through it. A Bluetooth dongle will also go with the Logic if you have to. The main problem with the Starcom  kit is I understand is it doesn't use VOX. Autocom and Starcom are the same company but most of their kit is not compatible. The cable connections on Stardom kit looks and feels very Mickey Mouse compares with the Autocom kit.

Offlinevincentrapide

« Reply #4 on: 2013-12-12 19:10:58 »
            For what it's worth: I upgraded to an SPA unit, it fits easily and doesn't take long. I also believe the ambient noise sensor is a useful feature given the noise I get off the GT's screen.
            I also use the Autocom BT unit to enable me to receive audio from my GPS with the GT's audio system turned off, thus allowing the digital speedo to be visible. I struggle to read the analogue speedo at the best of times.
            Cheers.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #5 on: 2013-12-12 19:53:37 »
              For what it's worth: I upgraded to an SPA unit, it fits easily and doesn't take long. I also believe the ambient noise sensor is a useful feature given the noise I get off the GT's screen.
              I also use the Autocom BT unit to enable me to receive audio from my GPS with the GT's audio system turned off, thus allowing the digital speedo to be visible. I struggle to read the analogue speedo at the best of times.
              Cheers.
              [/quote
              Where is it mounted?

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #6 on: 2013-12-12 21:58:11 »
                Speighty - Save the money for the ferry!

Seriously, the SPA isn't worth the extra money (as advised by the techie at Tecstar who own Auto/Starcom)

Logic is great, but the one you have works so why swap.  Plus - You and technology?  OMG
                Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #7 on: 2013-12-13 09:32:50 »
                  Cheers.
                  Really would like to know where you fitted the SPA unit in. On a GTL with an alarm I could find nowhere even for my Logic which is mounted under the right hand side seat panel.

OfflineKrider

« Reply #8 on: 2013-12-13 12:46:50 »
                    I just installed my Autocom SPA on my '13 GTL.  It is in the area under the top case rack.  There are four screws that hold the grab rails to the frame.  Remove them and the grab rails will lift up enough to allow insertion of the unit.  Make sure that you have the volume(s) set as you desire before inserting it as the knobs are tough to reach once in place.

'13 GTL, 7Juroc windscreen, Autocom SPA, Altrider bars w/pegs

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #9 on: 2013-12-13 13:02:38 »
                      I just installed my Autocom SPA on my '13 GTL.  It is in the area under the top case rack.  There are four screws that hold the grab rails to the frame.  Remove them and the grab rails will lift up enough to allow insertion of the unit.  Make sure that you have the volume(s) set as you desire before inserting it as the knobs are tough to reach once in place.
                      They only fit there if you dont have an alarm fitted.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2013-12-13 19:54:06 »
                        A couple of people in the USA have fitted the Autocom on top of the alarm.
                        It's a tight fit but apparently it's the only place for an Autocom on a GTL. I have a GT with lots of room under the seat.
                        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2013-12-13 20:22:17 »
                          A couple of people in the USA have fitted the Autocom on top of the alarm.
                          It's a tight fit but apparently it's the only place for an Autocom on a GTL. I have a GT with lots of room under the seat.
                          [/quote
                          Its definitely tight in there. I had a job storing one spare bulb in there. As I have said previously there is room under the seat panel on the right and its possible to just get to the adjustments. Its only big enough fo  a Logic though. I have seen picks of units sitting on top of the Alpine unit. I Don't consider that a fitting.

OfflineKrider

« Reply #12 on: 2013-12-14 02:18:44 »
                            I have the alarm system on my GTL.  The Autocom control head fit very nicely.
                            Note to those who may use this system:  You will need a switched power supply for the unit.  There is a switched circuit at the connector under the seat for the rear brake light supply in the top case (It activates with the ignition switch turning on, times off after 60 seconds when the ignition is turned off).  Do not use this as the power source for the Autocom control module.  However, it can be used to operate a 12V relay ($6.99 at AutoZone) mounted under the seat.  Take a fused power lead directly from the battery thru the relay to the Autocom.  This will preclude any potential problems it may cause with the CANBUS system as has been my research.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #13 on: 2013-12-14 09:09:57 »
                              I have the alarm system on my GTL.  The Autocom control head fit very nicely.
                              Note to those who may use this system:  You will need a switched power supply for the unit.  There is a switched circuit at the connector under the seat for the rear brake light supply in the top case (It activates with the ignition switch turning on, times off after 60 seconds when the ignition is turned off).  Do not use this as the power source for the Autocom control module.  However, it can be used to operate a 12V relay ($6.99 at AutoZone) mounted under the seat.  Take a fused power lead directly from the battery thru the relay to the Autocom.  This will preclude any potential problems it may cause with the CANBUS system as has been my research.
                              And you can get to its controls ?. it can also be connected directly to the rear of the second power socket

OfflineKrider

« Reply #14 on: 2013-12-14 14:18:18 »
                                You can get to the controls, but it is not easy.  That is why you set them to your liking prior to insertion.  For me, the volume levels are set, tested on the road, then adjusted.  After that, they should pretty much stay the same.  I don't think they will need constant attention.  If they do, then there are methods to extend the knobs a couple of inches to where they can be reached easily.  For instance, get a short piece of rigid tubing approximately the same diameter of the knob.  Use a piece of heat shrink to attach it.  The installation instructions has a picture of the unit showing which knob serves which function so you'll know which one to turn without seeing the top of the unit.