Author Topic: MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 4 GT  (Read 4871 times)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
    MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 4 GT
    « on: 2013-12-13 11:44:37 »
    My dealers suggesting these are a good alternative to Metzler. Anybody tried them yet. 

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 4 GT
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-12-13 19:47:27 »
      I'd be surprised as they only become available in January 2014 worldwide.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #2 on: 2013-12-13 20:14:05 »
        I'd be surprised as they only become available in January 2014 worldwide.
        [/quote
        So will I.  They never told me that. ]

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #3 on: 2013-12-13 21:52:00 »
          I am on my 3rd set of PR3's. 'nuff said?

Latest ones are B model for the K16, last 2 sets have been standard and still OK.

PR4 are supposed to be out late January 2014, but dunno if they will be 'B'  models
          Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2013-12-14 01:44:17 »
            PR3 is awesome. Handles tar snakes well. great on wet roads, lasts a decent amount of miles.  wears evenly.  Stays balanced all the way to the last drop

Offlineterry

« Reply #5 on: 2013-12-14 13:38:27 »
              I'm with e7navy1999 on this. Just put rear PR3 B variant about 300 miles ago. Will let forum know the mileage I get.

:)
              Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

OfflineSpeighty37

« Reply #6 on: 2013-12-14 18:46:05 »
                I agree regards the PR3's, my bike came with Z8's which lasted 4500 miles and went from looking 'ok' to metal cord showing in about 250 miles !!
                I then tried the Bridgestones which lasted about 5500 miles but seem to tram line a lot, so then I put PR3's on. So far I've covered 7000 miles and they have been brilliant. I would think there's now only about another 500-1000 miles left in them but having been out today in cold, wet and generally crappy conditions they still warm up pretty quickly and hold a line through ruts and across white lines. I was going to try the new Z8's but 7000+ miles against 4500 is abit of a no brainer. New PR3's ordered.
                If the PR4's had been available I would have tried those.

Life may not always be the party we'd hoped for but now we're here we might as well dance :-)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #7 on: 2013-12-14 21:23:30 »
                  I must be one of the few who was disappointed by the PR3's. My rear was toast after 4500 miles, admittedly 3000 of them two up. The wear pattern was bizarre as well. The Pirelli Angel ST  I fitted to replace the PR3 is looking good after 3000 miles with just under 4mm left in the centre of the tread.
                  2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlineislandbob

« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-14 20:23:17 »
                    I was going to give the RP4 a try but they were not available in time so opted to try the Metz again. Was heading towards 6k miles until a puncture prematurely altered that plan. The Metz is a good tyre but its disappointing to only get realistically 5K miles before they get too thin. Mind you, most of the miles done were two up so it sounds that it did better than many have reported. Will try the RP4 next time.
                    Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.

OfflineDasBoot

« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-21 08:21:41 »
                      I put a set of PR3's on and whilst they have lasted well, I don't like the way the bike wants to fall into the corner on the last part of the tyre. It makes the bike feel unpredictable and lacks feedback, I much preferred the 023GT Bridgestone, I will either go back to them or try the Pirelli Angels.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-21 09:16:27 »
                        I understand the new 1200RT will come fitted with PR4 GTS as standard and that BMW have approved them for use on the 1600. It will be interesting to see what my Exclusive turns up with in a few weeks time.

OfflineC 4

« Reply #11 on: 2014-01-21 22:57:06 »
                          I have a set sitting in the garage waiting to be put on. The GT model is the B variant for the large sport tourers.
                          Revzilla in the US has been having a sale but think that's over.
                          2013 K1600 GTL

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #12 on: 2014-01-24 13:48:10 »
                            To add an alternative, I am on my 3rd set of Dunlop RoadSmart II. Awesome rubber. The grip in dry and especially wet is amazing. I used to be a Michelin PR2 fan (on my K1200LT),so I went for the PR3 on the GTL. Conclusion: the PR3 sucks monkey balls on a GTL. Up to 120 km/h there is no issue, but above that the bike gets nervous and unpredictable. I don't care if they made a 'B' spec. I'm done with Michelin on the GTL.

Just my 2¢.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #13 on: 2014-01-25 19:12:44 »
                              Hi Surfman, how many miles do you get from your Dunlop?  What do you estimate the weight on the bike is (makes a big difference on wear)  I am a die hard PR3 fan but always open to new suggestions.  The PR3's handle road snakes the best ever and are great all around in dry, wet and overall miles (us) of wear.  I would like to see a tire that gets closer to 10,000 miles and is good at all the above.  6,000 miles is just not a ton of miles per dollar wear in my book if one goes by ROI (return on investment).  My truck tires go 80,000 miles and cost $200 each.  My BMW tires are 25% more in cost at 1/10th the miles.  Just seems like all motorcycle tires are a rip off ....tire manufacturers or middle handlers taking advantage of us avid riders

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #14 on: 2014-01-25 22:46:03 »
                                Tyres are a lot softer compound than truck/car tyres and therefore will wear at a faster rate particularly due to the grip they have to offer, there being only two pints of contact!

In a warmer climate, or drier one you could maybe get away with harder compounds, but the tyre grip required across the wet/cold/hot/dry range will mean softer composition to allow for all eventualities
                                Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

anything