Author Topic: Remove bottom shell from top case  (Read 3972 times)

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
    Remove bottom shell from top case
    « on: 2013-12-24 21:32:59 »
    OK. Maybe somebody here knows how to remove the bottom shell of the top case? [/size]The reason I ask is that I want to run extra wires to the top case and want to do it as 'clean' as possible, so using or replacing the existing cable. In order to reach that cable you need to remove the top shell (no problem) and the bottom shell.
    Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
      Re: Remove bottom shell from top case
      « Reply #1 on: 2013-12-24 22:56:21 »
      Can I ask what you are planning to power ?

And when you do it, can you post lots of pic's please.

I've always thought the topbox should have a 12v socket.
      R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2013-12-25 10:20:01 »
        Idea is to add additonal brake and turning lights to the top case and install a 12V socket, powered by the PDM60, for a USB charger.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2013-12-25 13:19:40 »
          Idea is to add additonal brake and turning lights to the top case and install a 12V socket, powered by the PDM60, for a USB charger.

Additional turning lights too........ ?

Didn't know you could get such an item, as the official BMW top case light is brake only.................. Isn't it ?

Looking forward to this install..................... Good luck.
          R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2013-12-25 13:25:14 »

Additional turning lights too........ ?

Didn't know you could get such an item, as the official BMW top case light is brake only.................. Isn't it ?

Looking forward to this install..................... Good luck.
            I already have the original BMW brake light. The extra lights I'll be installing are not by BMW. It's a LED tail light, brake light and turn signals in a row (approx 30 cm long).
            Still indoubt whether to install it as extra or as a replacement of the original brake light.
            I'll keep you informed.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2013-12-28 05:20:23 »
              I was just thinking of doing the same.  I plan to use aftermarket strip lighting with turn signal and rapid flash brake (three flash than steady on)  very cheap (about $60) when comparing to the OEM brake top case assembly light at $230 plus!

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-01-03 09:28:01 »
                I have everything separated and open at the moment. Will try to take pictures today.
                Only thing  had to fiddle with, were the pins I had to remove from the dampers in order to take the top inner lid completely off. You need to do that in order to get to the 4 screws near the hinges. Once you've done that it's just a matter of removing about 25 screws :o .

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2014-01-03 16:42:10 »
                  OK. Here are some pictures.
                  First the clip that holds the pin in the air cylinder.
                  Notice the point of the arrow (D) where the clip comes 'down' and holds the pin in one of the grooves.
                  When you lift the clip a bit, it frees itself from the groove in the pin and you can pull the pin out.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                    « Reply #8 on: 2014-01-03 16:43:18 »
                    Then the removal of the inner bottom case.
                    A total of 25 screws to get it loose.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #9 on: 2014-01-03 16:45:03 »
                      When you lift out the inner part, you have to remove one of the plugs for the central locking. That's plug A on the picture.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                        « Reply #10 on: 2014-01-03 16:46:15 »
                        When assembling, make sure the horizontal pin (B on the previous picture) falls in the opening C.
                        The plug for the central locking goes to the right of the 'C'.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                          « Reply #11 on: 2014-03-08 17:50:54 »
                          Finally done.
                          Added a 12 V socket to the outside of the top case and on on the inside. Both connetcted to the PDM60.
                          Also an extra 5 wires in the top case for additional lights (to come).

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                            « Reply #12 on: 2014-08-29 19:22:25 »
                            One more picture on how I got the cable into the top case (a bit late, I know).
                            On the right side the standard cable enters the top case, so I routed this one on the left side. I used a tight fitting gromet to prevent water coming in; and it works  ;D.

anything