Author Topic: Passenger Arm Rest  (Read 1720 times)

Offlinebuckdaily

• K1600GTL Silver 2012
    Passenger Arm Rest
    « on: 2014-01-16 17:24:48 »
    Has anyone considered modifying the passenger arm rest to make them removable.  I've been thinking of cutting the support pipping just under the top case and installing a sleeve with a spring loaded ball that can be slid together and latched.  To remove them all that would need to be done is to press the locking ball and slid off the arm rest..  Any thoughts?   

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Passenger Arm Rest
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-01-16 18:01:35 »
      I know of someone on the K1600forum in the USA who has done this. I'll see if I can find it.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-01-16 18:18:38 »
        The good news is, I found it. The bad news is, the pictures have been removed.
        Essentially what he did was to cut the armrest frame mounting tubes just under the passenger frame rails. He built plates, 1/4" thick, 5 &1/4" long by 1 & 1/4 tall, 2 mating plates per side. He threaded 3 holes on the inner plate and welded it to the "fixed" cut tubes. The other plate with corresponding holes is welded to the remainder of the armrest assembly. When the 3-5/16 allen head bolts are removed the only thing you can see remaining is 1 plate on each side just under the passenger hand hold frame. This doesn't interfere with the passenger using the handholds as the plates are well aft of that area. He had slight reservation about cutting the tubes and whether they would be rigid enough after modification but feel they are adequately rigid.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-01-16 18:44:21 »
          Has anyone considered modifying the passenger arm rest to make them removable.  I've been thinking of cutting the support pipping just under the top case and installing a sleeve with a spring loaded ball that can be slid together and latched.  To remove them all that would need to be done is to press the locking ball and slid off the arm rest..  Any thoughts?   
          I have recently ordered an Exclusive which has them as standard. Why would you want to have the arms removable?

Offlinebuckdaily

• K1600GTL Silver 2012
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-01-17 16:41:01 »
            I want the be able to remove the armrest without removing all the hard ware.  This allows me to remove the top case and also able to remove them when my wife is not riding the long trips with me.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-17 17:15:12 »
              Understood. Not a problem for me I think.  I never take the top box off and  I'm not allowed out by myself very often.

Offlinecsm1955

• 2013 K1600GTL - Drk Graphite Metalic
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-02-18 04:58:15 »
                I really like riding with my wife as my passenger so neither the armrests or Top Box will be coming off.  However, I do think it would be interesting to be able to do so for those who want to go without.
                2013 K1600GTL, 2006  HD Road King, 2002 Honda GL1800 GW

OfflineMcTaste

« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-24 18:55:40 »
                  I was somewhat disappointed to learn that the arm rests stay on when the top case comes off.  Then I started thinking that I'm much more likely to leave the top case on at all times and take the side cases off, so it's sort of a non-issue.

Would I mind if I could take the top case and arm rests off as a single unit?  Nope.  Sure would be nice for city riding...but that's what smaller bikes are for =]
                  1978 R80/7; 2007 F650GS; 2012 R1200R Classic;  2014 K1600GTL Exclusive on order...

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-24 19:23:26 »
                    I was somewhat disappointed to learn that the arm rests stay on when the top case comes off.  Then I started thinking that I'm much more likely to leave the top case on at all times and take the side cases off, so it's sort of a non-issue.

Would I mind if I could take the top case and arm rests off as a single unit?  Nope.  Sure would be nice for city riding...but that's what smaller bikes are for =]
                    The arm rests are a solid bit of kit and mount under the top box frame. In 2 1/2 A years of ownership of my GTL E I never once took the top box off and with the radio antenna inside its lid it will never come off my Exclusive. I think the arm rests will look a bit odd when riding solo as you can't leave them folded up as they swing out to clear the box.  I'm sure I will just forget them after a few miles. They do add about 5 kg to the bikes weight thought

OfflineMcTaste

« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-24 21:53:40 »
                      The arm rests are a solid bit of kit and mount under the top box frame. In 2 1/2 A years of ownership of my GTL E I never once took the top box off and with the radio antenna inside its lid it will never come off my Exclusive. I think the arm rests will look a bit odd when riding solo as you can't leave them folded up as they swing out to clear the box.  I'm sure I will just forget them after a few miles. They do add about 5 kg to the bikes weight thought

With the arm rests, it will definitely look way too odd to ever take the top case off.
                      1978 R80/7; 2007 F650GS; 2012 R1200R Classic;  2014 K1600GTL Exclusive on order...

anything