Author Topic: Krakow, Auschwitz  (Read 1818 times)

OfflineJbj

Krakow, Auschwitz
    « on: 2014-01-27 12:39:18 »
    Hi All

We are in the early stages of planning a 10/12 day tour to Krakow, Auschwitz and other surrounding areas and i was wondering if any other members had done a similar trip ?Coming from gods own county of Yorkshire ;D   i thought a departure from hull to Rotterdam would be the easiest starting point with probably a 2 night stop over before reaching Krakow. we are assuming a 3/4 night stay there then working our way back.Would anyone have recommendations of routes, hotels etc?.Dates times and locations are reasonably free.

Thanks in advance.

John

OfflineWinston Smith

Re: Krakow, Auschwitz
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-01-27 13:49:08 »
      Hull-Europoort is the best option.  Book meals before sailing too as you will get discount.  Also phone to book and quote MCN for a discount.
      If you are taking several bikes book a cabin with rider and 'pillion' then extra riders as foot pax and bikes as cargo.

The route across the north of Germany/Poland is quite featureless and uninteresting.  I would head for Mohne Dam (as in Dambusters) and then on to Berlin for a couple of nights.  Hoof down to Auschwitz area and stop off to visit the site, but head down to Krakow to stay.  Dependent on time you may want to head over to Prague or Vienna and then back through Austria/Bavaria.

You are talking big mileage and to cover to where you want to visit (Auschwitz) on uninteresting terrain.
      Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineJbj

« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-27 14:16:54 »
        Cheers Winston,

Brilliant just what i was looking for, will Google the route tonight.
        The big mileage is not an issue, just after a few "Do and Do Not`s"

Regards

John.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-01-27 15:10:11 »
          Just a thought.  I arrange a tour each year for Pidcock BMW. Evan though Hull is much closer to the East Midlands I always arrange a group booking with Eurotunnel. Prices can be as little as £60 per bike return as opposed to Nearly £200  from Hull. You just need over 15 bikes. Ive used them for the last 9 years and never had any issues with them. 

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-27 19:50:30 »
            Depends where in UK you are.  Yorkshire was the start point for John so the trek down south takes a day either end of the tour.  The cost of fuel and possibly a nights accomodation even the cost out somewhat.
            The Hull crossing is usually around £380 for the cabin/bike and two persons.  Additional bikes are £70-ish and foot pax around the same.

Dependent again on how many are travelling I usually do the trip incl meals for around £160-180 p/p

Fuel there and back to Eurotunnel is £50-ish, plus the £60 crossing fee (return?) and there is a day travelling either end as stated plus any food you may want.  Hull/Euro can be done after a day at work (usually need to be there for 1800hrs at the latest) which if you are anywhere in Yorkshire is fairly do-able.

On the Tunnel you will need to stop over fairly early on when you reach Europe after a day's ride through UK or having had a really early start.

The ferry gives you a nights sleep (or drinking!!) so you arrive fresh (no drinking!!) and ready for a day in the saddle

Swings and roundabouts really.

I have done it both ways (more than once) and the advantages of North Sea Ferries (to me and being in Yorkshire too!) outweigh the financial advantages.

Also, consider the extra mileage arriving at Calais which is a marginally further south
            « Last Edit: 2014-01-27 19:56:05 by Winston Smith »
            Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-01-27 20:27:04 »
              Your quite right, you have to take into account the extra distance in UK. If we have a long haul I sometimes book an afternoon train and then stay about 100 miles from Calais. France is better value than UK for a night stop and you are then well set up for mega miles the next day. We have managed Italy in a day doing it that way.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-27 21:46:29 »
                My two 'biggies' were an in one from Geneva to Hull via Chunnel and Toulouse to Hull via Peterborough in a oner, via Chunnel!

Geneva run was on the K16, the other was on a mix of GTR, RT and Pan, final leg on my old GTR

OfflineJbj

« Reply #7 on: 2014-01-28 09:48:02 »
                  hi All,

Will definitely be crossing from hull to Europoort and working my way down from  there, just one last question is it feasible to stay in krakow as a base and travel to Auschwitz etc? or would it make common sense to seek accommodation closer?.
                  Just not sure of the distance/road conditions between the two?

Thanks for your input.

Regards

john.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #8 on: 2014-01-28 10:44:07 »
                    About an hours run on decent roads.

To be honest Auschwitz/Birkenau can be done in a day.

It is a very moving place and I really recommend it.

When you get there sign up for a guided tour of the site and you will feel humbled and sickened in equal amounts at courage and inhumanity.

OfflineJbj

« Reply #9 on: 2014-01-28 21:41:30 »
                      I believe its a place where everyone should visit

John

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #10 on: 2014-01-28 22:32:32 »
                        I totally agree.  It should be a compulsory school visit.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                          « Reply #11 on: 2014-01-28 23:20:35 »
                          Have not been there yet, but I have been to the Bergen-Belsen museum/memorial in Germany and to Yad Vashem in Israel.
                          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #12 on: 2014-01-29 21:00:56 »
                            John, I concur with most of what was written above and...welcome to my backyard. I'm a Belgian who lives and works in Poland in fact.  8)
                            If you stay for 3 or 4 nights, I recommend a one day tour (with guide as mentioned above) to visit the camp(s). Combine it with a visit to Krakow. It's nearby and it is beautiful. So while you are at it... And don't forget to visit the former Jewish quarter (Kazimierz) as well as the salt mine in Wieliczka. That should do it.

Drop me a PM if you need more info and/or guidance.

Cheers,

Guy
                            Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-01 13:50:23 »
                              Forgot about those - Particularly the salt mine.  It is awesome!

I can't recall it's name, but there's also a monastery that's worth a visit nearby too

anything