Author Topic: Seat interchangeability  (Read 1758 times)

OfflineTommy turtle

Seat interchangeability
    « on: 2014-02-02 16:50:36 »
    Hi guys,  I have been offered a really low miles k1600 GTLE. Really close to buying it, but I would want to change the seat back to a K1600 GT unit, because the pillion seat on the LE pushes me too far forward and squashes me against the tank. ( yes I am a big chap). Does the GT seat/pillion fit straight onto same seat mount points on the LE ?  Thanks for the help...

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Seat interchangeability
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-02-02 17:02:33 »
      Afraid not. The locking system is different to start with and there is no height adjustment kit fitted. 

Onlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-02 17:22:31 »
        The k16 seat has always been one of my top gripes.  I liked my old K1200 seat 10,000% better.  I have a Corbin now but can not break it in til the snow stops flying.  I think if I were to do it all over again I would get the same rocketship powered K16 with a Russell Seat.  I am on my third seat now but i think the Corbin will work for the price.  All my riding contacts say nothing beats a Russell so it has me curious.  https://www.day-long.com/gallery_BMW.html

OfflineBob S

« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-02 19:32:55 »
          Afraid not. The locking system is different to start with and there is no height adjustment kit fitted.

I fitted the GTL seat on my GT without any problems so it can be done.
          2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-02-02 19:40:34 »
            A GTL seat on a GT is possible,  but also the other way round?
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-02 20:07:52 »

I fitted the GTL seat on my GT without any problems so it can be done.
              [/quote
              Did you do this by replacing the lock mechanism which is in a different place on a GT. Tommy of course wants to do the opposite

OfflineBob S

« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-03 00:20:58 »
                The seat lock for the GT is in the rear seat. I just removed it and fitted it in the GTL seat.
                2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineTommy turtle

« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-03 11:49:33 »
                  The dealer says it has different mounting points on the frame, but I don't necessarily think they're right..... Bob S managed to go the opposite way I'm thinking...... RT Man? Anyone?
                  « Last Edit: 2014-02-03 11:52:34 by Tommy turtle »

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-03 12:35:50 »
                    You will need to look carefully at the frame mounted locking mechanism on the GTL which connects to the bench seat at the rear of the pillion part. The pillion seat on the GT is bolted to the frame and does not use any part of the lock. I am between bikes at the moment so can't rush to the shed to check further. I have in the past swapped a 2 part seat on a 1200 RT for a bench comfort seat.  With that I had to remove all the height adjustment bits. So you might need whatever is on the GT for height adjustment  The locking mechanism was all frame mounted so was interchangeable.  The top box frame on the GTL is also further back than on the GT and that would have to stay because of the larger backrest on the box.
                    « Last Edit: 2014-02-03 14:21:02 by RTman10 »

OfflineTommy turtle

« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-03 15:06:29 »
                      Thanks RT Man. I have the dealers looking into this. I would have thought it 'possible' too, but nobody really knows! I am a big bloke and I find the GTL seat pushes me too far forward into the tank. The GT seat has more 'length' for the rider (read my fat a*^e fits better). But, I like the idea of having the LE I've been offered even though for 90% of my riding I will have the topbox off, and the panniers will stay in my garage for 70% of the time too. Plus, its a great price and I much prefer the mineral silver to the graphite black or blue colours of the GTSE.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-03 15:39:35 »
                        Let us know if you manage it. I'm sure you are aware the change will increase the seat height by about 30mm. Not a problem for many but  it would be critical to a short arse like me.

Offlineblkfalc4

« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-05 03:09:40 »
                          I run a GT seat on my GTL. Easily can switch back and forth.
                          BMW sells a kit for doing just this. It's like $40 US.
                          Basically consists of 2 5mm screws and 2 plastic fillers (which aren't really needed).

Offlinegaryculb

« Reply #12 on: 2014-02-06 14:56:09 »
                            Yes, the GT & GTL seats are easly interchangeable. The BMW OEM two piece seat has an additional plastic component that attches to the fram below the seat to block the view under the seat:  ( https://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog2/MicroList.aspx?id=53246&bindName=Seat&bindCat=77_0407: Part #
                            77348520028$40.00
                            [/color][/font][/size]All you need to do is change out the lock. Easy to do. Remember the OEM One & Two piece seats come in Low & High. Hope this is of assistance. Best,

DOC
                            « Last Edit: 2014-02-07 01:36:42 by garyculb »
                            May You Live as Long as You Want & Never Want for as Long as You Live!

OfflineTommy turtle

« Reply #13 on: 2014-02-06 16:55:31 »
                              Thanks Gary. The dealer now says they CAN switch the seats and are preparing me a quote for the parts/new seat/work………

Offlinepaulfareham

• Club 4181
                              « Reply #14 on: 2014-02-13 12:21:53 »
                              Swapped seats on my GTLE, needed the GT seats, there is a fitting kit and the electricts have to be reconfigured for the heated seats and the key barrel needs changeing so the central locking works, and also the Key fits, otherwise you will end up with 2 keys, hope this helps
                              Paul & Angela Fareham 07713044125

anything