Author Topic: Home made top case waterproof led brake light  (Read 1353 times)

Offlinee7navy1999

I posted pics in the k16 accessory section with the LED part number.  It turned out great.  I will mention that the LED's are polarity sensitive.  They will not work if you hook up the ground to the wrong side but it also will not damage the LEDs if you make the mistake like I did. Total cost is under $10 and two hours hobby labor.  Tools required: small drill bit set, pin vise, hot glue gun and a couple of wire connectors. 

Offline1600GTGuy

Re: Home made top case waterproof led brake light
      « Reply #1 on: 2016-01-31 03:32:10 »
      I am thinking about doing something similar.
      Where did you tap into the brake light circuit?
      Are GT's already wired for a topcase brake light or did you tap into the regular one?

Thanks!

Joe

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2016-01-31 11:27:33 »
        The 'official' top case for the GT is wired for the brake light. When you remove the part where the brake light has to go you'll see it.
        BTW is it also wired for a heated back rest for the passenger (underneath the vinyl back rest). Even my bike from Feb 2011 has it when there wasn't even any mentioning of a  heated back rest becoming available in the future. 
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-31 16:25:38 »
          You will see the BMW plug and wires under the chrome luggage piece.  There is a better link with more pictures.  I will try to find it and post it here

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-31 16:28:23 »
            here is a more detailed link: /index.php/topic,565.0.html  My topcase lights are still working GREAT.  Remember the LED's are polarity sensitive so when you hook them up if they do not work try reversing the wires.  I did that on my first attempt

anything