Author Topic: Help needed: BMW Nav V not recognized in bike: SOLVED  (Read 5261 times)

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
    I bought the new BMW Navigator 5 and the dasboard with the larger "window". Replacing the dashboard was easy, but when I attach the Nav 5, it's not connecting to the bike (i.e. it doesn't switch on, or if it's on already, it doesn't appear in the menu). I took it out and put it back in several times, with no success.
    Then I tried it on my second bike (a C650) with the original BMW cradle, and it switched on immediately when I turned the key. So it doesn't seem to be an issue with the Nav 5 device.
    Anybody had a similar problem before, or any ideas what I can do? Thanks.
    « Last Edit: 2014-02-20 17:14:41 by HDBeemer »
    It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Help needed: BMW Nav V not recognized in bike
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-02-16 22:08:10 »
      What did you have before the V in your 1600.

Offlinecsm1955

• 2013 K1600GTL - Drk Graphite Metalic
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-02-18 21:26:17 »
        Hope you get your question answered.  I'm waiting for the NAV-V to arrive at my dealer as well as the the new dash/instrument cover for my 2013 GTL.  I'm upgrading from the NAV-IV so I'm interested in what others have to say on topic.  By the way, did you replace the dash cover by yourself?  If so, did you have instructions on how to do it?  I want to do it on my own but I'm always concerned that I'll botch the job somehow.  I couldn't find a YouTube video showing how to do it so I guess I'll just have a go at it when it arrives. 
        2013 K1600GTL, 2006  HD Road King, 2002 Honda GL1800 GW

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-02-18 21:38:52 »
          By the way, did you replace the dash cover by yourself?  If so, did you have instructions on how to do it?  I want to do it on my own but I'm always concerned that I'll botch the job somehow.  I couldn't find a YouTube video showing how to do it so I guess I'll just have a go at it when it arrives.
          Getting the tupperware off isn't difficult. It's just a lot of screws and you have to be methodical. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, there's always someone close by who is willing to help you. Just state where you are at and most likely someone will chip in. If not, you might try the k1600forum.com. There are a lot of Americans on that forum all over the USA.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlineblkfalc4

« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-19 02:08:17 »
            Changing the bezel is easy as pie :)
            Remove the windscreen, (not necessary but makes it easier)
            Remove the two screws for the speaker, (2 a side) 1 top, 1 near instrument gauge. Carefully pry off speaker housing.
            Remove the two screws for the bezel, disconnect Sat antenna plug, remove bezel.
            Pry off antenna from old bezel noticing placement, use new double sided tape and attach to new bezel.

Install of new bezel is reverse.

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-02-19 20:55:11 »
              Sorry for the late reply - I didn't have Internet for a few days.

1) I had the Nav IV before - it always worked perfectly
              2) Yes, I replaced the dashboard myself. It was quite easy, once you find out where all the screws are hidden. One day later, I found the technical instructions on a german board (https://www.bmw-k-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6600977). Just select the third message, it has all the pictures linked.

But my original problem is still not resolved: the Navigator works, but it's not recognized by the bike when I insert it.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-19 21:30:57 »
                I would suggest that as it worked before the cover was changed somehow the power to the cradle has been disconnected. Can't be anything else.

Offlineblkfalc4

« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-19 22:04:29 »
                  Try using an eraser and clean the contacts, then use an alcohol pad after on all the contacts, both the unit and the bike cradle. A few ppl have had to do this.
                  Barring that helping, the unit is under warranty, so your dealer should be of some help.
                  My new 5 went in flawlessly and works as advertised. Only issue is the new 5 doesn't sit flush with the new bezel opening. But I plan on machining a spacer plate out of UHMW to fix that.

Good Luck
                  Mike

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
                    Re: Help needed: BMW Nav V not recognized in bike: SOLVED
                    « Reply #8 on: 2014-02-20 17:16:03 »
                    My dealer had to install a software upgrade on my bike. My last update was more than a year old, and it didn't know the Nav5 yet. Problem solved.

At least my bike is now up-to-date with all SW releases...

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
                      « Reply #9 on: 2014-02-20 20:05:19 »
                      That's  very odd.  I know plenty of people who have loaded the V into pre 2013 bikes and they all worked. I have never heard of a software update to make them work. Had there been one I'm sure the literature with them would have told you.
                      Yep - I was surprised, too. This morning, I visited the Swiss Moto (motorcycle exhibition) and talked to a guy at the BMW booth about my problem. He immediately told me to check the bikes SW version - if it's old enough, this could be the problem because the bike wouldn't recognize the new device.
                      I was sceptical about this statement, but stopped by my dealer in the afternoon, he checked the SW version and installed several updates (now I have the "green N" finally  ;D ). After that, the Nav5 immediately switched on after I turned the key. Coincidence? Magic? I don't know, but I'm glad it works...

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-20 20:10:25 »
                        More likely a fault cleared when the bike was plugged in. Doesn't really matter if you have everything working.

Offlinecsm1955

• 2013 K1600GTL - Drk Graphite Metalic
                          « Reply #11 on: 2014-02-24 08:54:01 »
                          Thanks for your help HDBeamer and I'm glad you got your NAV-V working.  I installed the new instrument cover on my GTL and my new NAV-5 is up and working.  It was a very easy project thanks to your help!
                          2013 K1600GTL, 2006  HD Road King, 2002 Honda GL1800 GW

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
                            « Reply #12 on: 2014-02-24 20:46:13 »
                            Thanks for your help HDBeamer and I'm glad you got your NAV-V working.  I installed the new instrument cover on my GTL and my new NAV-5 is up and working.  It was a very easy project thanks to your help!
                            You're welcome - I'm glad I could help. I'm sure you will enjoy the new Nav V, as I do. It's a big improvement compared to the Nav IV.

Offlineblokeonthemove

« Reply #13 on: 2014-05-21 13:32:58 »
                              Slightly on the same thread, I have a Nav5 which is working fine except I don't have the 'my motorcycle'  pages with the tyre pressures etc on it. Is there some sort of software that needs doing to the bike, I had it fitted at a recent service when I got the green neutral light and my DRLs running by default. Any idea guys?

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
                                « Reply #14 on: 2014-05-21 14:21:14 »
                                Slightly on the same thread, I have a Nav5 which is working fine except I don't have the 'my motorcycle'  pages with the tyre pressures etc on it. Is there some sort of software that needs doing to the bike, I had it fitted at a recent service when I got the green neutral light and my DRLs running by default. Any idea guys?
                                The "My Motorcycle" page will not show up on the current K1600s. As far as I know, only the new GS has the necessary firmware on the bike to support this feature on the Nav5. But I assume the future versions of the K1600 will include this as well. Not sure if it's upgradeable on the older bikes though.