Author Topic: Concerned Newbie  (Read 1408 times)

Offlinesendero

Concerned Newbie
    « on: 2014-02-16 23:22:03 »
    A few years ago, I had a 1200 RT and a harley screaming eagle road king concurrently. I am  60 years old 5'9" with a 30 inch inseam. having been on bikes my whole life i had to give the RT up because i was tippy toeing at stop lights, the result was more near tip overs than i care to admit. sadly, I loved the RT a speed!
    so, I am in lust over the new 1600gtl exclusive but am concerned about weight/high CG/tippy toeing at stops.

help

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Concerned Newbie
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-02-16 23:37:10 »
      The K1600 is not one of the lighter bikes, but once it starts rolling, all the weight seems to disappear. Anyway it does not have a high center of gravity.
      As for tippy toeing: I'm 6' and have the GT (which is already higher) with the seat in the high position and have no difficulties. With a GTL you should be able to reach the ground easily.
      When in doubt: make a test ride  ;D .

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinegaryculb

« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-17 03:44:04 »
         Congratulations, you have found someone that is you size but, not 60 yo who has a 2013 K1600 GTL. There are two solutions to your short inseam. First, consider the Wilbers shock trade/ install ( https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-suspension-setup-tires-wheels/19457-new-wilbers-suspension.html ). This will lower the bike by ONE INCH.
         The second & more affordable option is to get either the Low OEM one piece (GTL) or Two Piece (GT) seats. The BMW OEM GTL One Piece seat is the lowest at 29.5 inches. I was able to get my feet flat on the ground with this seat. Both of these seats were not extremely comfortable on long rides. So, I sent both seats to Bill Myers ( https://billmayer-saddles.com ). Rocky modified both seats to “Low & Comfortable.” I can get my feet flat on the ground with both seats and both are incredibly comfortable. We put a Bakup backrest on each seat. The GT BMS seat set is much better for sport riding & has a better/ easier to install the Backup backrest. ( https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/44689-ultimate-low-seat.html , https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/40625-bms-low-oem-one-piece-seat-bakup-backrest.html . Hope this is of assistance. Best,

DOC :)
        May You Live as Long as You Want & Never Want for as Long as You Live!

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-02-17 08:25:18 »
          Only 60 and a tall 5ft 8.  I bought my GTLE at the tender age of 70 and on a good day my height is 5ft 7in. For 6 years I owned a number of 1200RTs and always had a dread of stopping upright. Yes the 1600 is a lot heavier but except for pushing it around the garage its of no concern. The GT was not an option due to its seat height and anyway in my blinkered eyes its an inferior beast. Just make sure you end up with the standard 750mm seat.  My Exclusive is due in 3 weeks and 5 days, not that I'm counting.
          « Last Edit: 2014-02-17 08:32:11 by RTman10 »

Offlinesendero

« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-17 18:18:46 »
            Thanks for the great feedback...on my way to the dealer (when the snow melts of course)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-02-17 19:26:42 »
              ....  My Exclusive is due in 3 weeks and 5 days, not that I'm counting.
              How many hours and minutes  ;D ?
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-02-17 19:33:40 »
                Too many for sure. And I still don't know if anybody else has one on order.

Offlineomnione

« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-18 16:07:11 »

Being 5'7" and a 29" reach I can echo what the others have been saying, the GTL is not a problem and with my partner on the back  I can flat foot it,  if I do get out without her (very rarely) the reduced weight compensates for the slight increase in ride height. 

Because of the weight It can be a bit of a handful getting in and out of the garage though.

anything