Author Topic: THE TROUBLE WITH BLUETOOTH  (Read 2003 times)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
    THE TROUBLE WITH BLUETOOTH
    « on: 2014-02-28 14:04:20 »
    Autocom Ltd have recently introduced a new Bluetooth set which looks very inviting compared with some lumps you have to bolt to the side of your helmet. As its a brand new system I asked them if it would fully work with the K16.  They have done some tests and confirmed it wont and explained that if the Alpine unit does not recognise the first Bluetooth unit as a BMW one it automatically blocks the second helmet connection. They confirm this will happen on any make of headset you wish to try. You can of course bypass the bikes BT and graft another to the audio unit. Then you just probably have 3 separate battery packs to keep charged. Back to a single cable then. 
    « Last Edit: 2014-02-28 15:01:32 by RTman10 »

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: THE TROUBLE WITH BLUETOOTH
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-02-28 14:41:07 »
      AFAIK that's also the experience of everyone trying to pair two non-BMW sets to the bike.
      The new Autocom bluetooth set is the same as the one by AKE.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-28 18:12:42 »
        The Sena firmware upgrade 4.3 allows music sharing so the set paired to the Alpine unit can share the music with the passengers set.
        2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-28 18:23:31 »
          The Sena firmware upgrade 4.3 allows music sharing so the set paired to the Alpine unit can share the music with the passengers set.
          It would be very interested to hear from anybody with the upgrade to know if it works.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-28 19:41:52 »
            I use my Sena system as an intercom when she rides pillion with me. If she chooses to ride her own bike then we can still chat to each other. If I take my other bike out there is no need to swap the system from one bike to the other which you would have to do with a wired system. I also use the Sena for communicating with my trainees when taking them on the road for the last part of CBT or preparing them for their motorcycle test. The ability for them to be able to speak back to me has proven to be a huge advantage. The reliability of the Sena compared to my old PMR radios is much better, with no loss of signal and much better clarity.

In my experience a Bluetooth system is much better than an Autocom and having used both I wouldn't go back to a wired system.
            2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-28 19:56:19 »
              I use my Sena system as an intercom when she rides pillion with me. If she chooses to ride her own bike then we can still chat to each other. If I take my other bike out there is no need to swap the system from one bike to the other which you would have to do with a wired system. I also use the Sena for communicating with my trainees when taking them on the road for the last part of CBT or preparing them for their motorcycle test. The ability for them to be able to speak back to me has proven to be a huge advantage. The reliability of the Sena compared to my old PMR radios is much better, with no loss of signal and much better clarity.

In my experience a Bluetooth system is much better than an Autocom and having used both I wouldn't go back to a wired system.
              If you use it on the K 2 up can you both make use of the bikes audio and GPS?.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-02-28 20:34:34 »
                On the K1600 blue tooth could not do what I required. That's why I went back to wired on the K.
                On my other bike I still use blue tooth (Cardo Scala G4),but on that bike I always ride without passenger and it only has to pair to the Zumo 660. In that setup blue tooth works fine.
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-28 20:56:27 »
                  If you use it on the K 2 up can you both make use of the bikes audio and GPS?.

I have only just downloaded the latest firmware upgrade, but as my wife doesn't like to listen to music on the move I will need to find a mistress to test that out  :D
                  2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-28 21:05:36 »
                    I have only just downloaded the latest firmware upgrade, but as my wife doesn't like to listen to music on the move I will need to find a mistress to test that out  :D
                    Sounds like a sensible plan. Suggest you just check your email before you proceed
                    « Last Edit: 2014-02-28 21:13:14 by RTman10 »

anything