Author Topic: Gear box issues  (Read 3137 times)

OfflinePoddy

Gear box issues
    « on: 2014-03-08 12:46:53 »
    Hi guys,
    Having strange thing happen with my gear box, every one and then it won't go into first, it becomes rock hard, will move into second but not first.

Rang my dealer who did the , never heard of it but if it keeps happening ring us, guess I'll be ringing them for the 5th time  come Monday.

Anyone else had issues

Cheers
    Poddy

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Gear box issues
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-03-08 13:05:58 »
      This is a new one for me. Theoretically it is possible that the 'teeth' of the gears are exctly opposite each other so the gears can't 'slide in'. If that is the case relasing and engaging the clutch should clear that.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflinePoddy

« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-08 14:21:49 »
        I tried just a clutch release but made no difference, sometimes it goes in without the flywheel cluck but won't reg on screen that it's in first until you've pulled away.

Is the oil level critical to the gearbox, my old Triumph was like that, down a quart or old oil and you had gear issues

OfflineBob S

« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-08 18:28:14 »
          I was on an IAM run last year when a gent on a K1600 had to pull out because he was getting gearbox issues like you describe. He took it into the dealer and they checked the oil level and found it was low. On topping it up the gearbox was fine. He has had no issues since, but keeps a regular eye on the oil level now.
          2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinegordiet

« Reply #4 on: 2014-03-09 03:52:58 »
            I don't think I understand?? Gear box oil level? The gear box has the engine oil in it! How do you check the oil level in the gear box. I think your dealer is full of (I don't know)!!

GT

OfflinePoddy

« Reply #5 on: 2014-03-09 05:35:54 »
              Just checked mine and oil was low, topped it up and took it for a spin, no issue I'm out for a ride again tomorrow I'll watch and report.

On a completely different issue man this bike users oil, that's the 3rd time in 5000 Kim's I had to add oil, all time below min

OfflinePoddy

« Reply #6 on: 2014-03-09 05:52:26 »
                Scrap that last post, just went out to move the bike and it did it again  >:(

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                  « Reply #7 on: 2014-03-09 08:57:56 »
                  Just checked mine and oil was low, topped it up and took it for a spin, no issue I'm out for a ride again tomorrow I'll watch and report.

On a completely different issue man this bike users oil, that's the 3rd time in 5000 Kim's I had to add oil, all time below min
                  It would be interesting to know where you are and the age/mileage of your bike. Some,  in fact most seem to use next to no oil but you seem to be using what BMW say is acceptable but only just. 
                  « Last Edit: 2014-03-09 09:15:48 by RTman10 »

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                    « Reply #8 on: 2014-03-09 13:35:50 »
                    As for oil usage: I normally have to add about half a litre after 5000 kms, so that's halfway between services. That's well within the tolerances set by BMW.
                    Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #9 on: 2014-03-09 19:30:21 »
                      I brought a bottle of Castrol l1 Racing 5-40 as recommended when I first got t my GTL in April 2011. Sold the bike in Nov with 15k on the clock. During that time it had its due servicing at 6 and 12 K. The bottle of oil still has 750ml in it. At this rate it should do my next 2 bikes.

OfflineJim

« Reply #10 on: 2014-03-09 20:28:27 »
                        Also have a 2011 bike and have only put oil in it once and that was when it had the wrong dipstick fitted, have now done about 10.k, anyway RTman10 have you got the exclusive yet and if so what do you think of it i.e. does the drive still clack etc etc, I will be getting rid of the GTLE later this year and was going to change to a GSA (subject to test ride) because i have had a few of the common problems with the 2011 model but I do like this bike deep down and if I thought that the niggles had been ironed out then I would go for an Exclusive, subject to actually seeing one in the flesh and liking the look of it.
                        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflinePoddy

« Reply #11 on: 2014-03-10 06:01:09 »
                          FYI as requested,
                          I come from the land down under, bike is 2012 GTL with 11,000 klms on her. Another thing, the oil indicator never shows OK for very long them just shows -------- is that normal (I check with the dipstick anyway, just asking)

Cheers

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #12 on: 2014-03-10 08:11:57 »
                            FYI as requested,
                            I come from the land down under, bike is 2012 GTL with 11,000 klms on her. Another thing, the oil indicator never shows OK for very long them just shows -------- is that normal (I check with the dipstick anyway, just asking)

Cheers
                            Should be ready today. It looks nothing like its picks on line, much nicer in the metal.  Let you know about the clunks, squeaks  and bangs shortly.
                            « Last Edit: 2014-03-10 08:17:20 by RTman10 »

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
                              « Reply #13 on: 2014-03-10 12:13:15 »
                              When do we get some photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Just enjoy it!

OfflinePoddy

« Reply #14 on: 2014-03-11 12:01:08 »
                                Bike on the back of a flat top and on its way to the dealer, could get it in any gear and pumped the clutch a couple of times and got 1st gear, could be all it needs is a flash of fluids and all good, let's hope that's the case 

anything