Author Topic: Another new guy  (Read 5352 times)

OfflineValkman1291

Another new guy
    « on: 2014-03-19 19:02:21 »
    Got the Exclusive Friday.  She's gorgeous, and I put a quick 150 miles on before "dastardly" work duties took me out of the saddle.

Glad to be a new owner and member. I've already also SEAT and AZ Beemers, two clubs/user groups available here in the Arizona/Tucson area.  Wife and I are looking forward to riding as much as the schedule allows.

Farkles on order: Illium highway pegs, 2 Schuberth C3Pro helmets (already have two Sena SMH10's for wife and I) and the small Tourtech handlebar bag.

Have been perusing a lot of the avail forums and user groups, and have already come up with several questions. I'm sure they have all been addressed SOMEWHERE, but if any of you have:

- forum thread titles, or
    - website links,or
    - short answers

I would appreciate the assistance. Thanks ahead of time.

1. Tank bag suggestions that don't limit handlebar throw. I know about RKA.
    2. Better windshield suggestions. After just 100 miles, too much buffet from the OEM shield.
    3. Wife is short, and looking for best way to raise pillion pegs. Found several options, but any actual usage feedback?
    4. Thought about replacing the Sena's with the BMW "in helmet" set up, but was told it would not allow "bike to bike" comm. Friends have Sena and I enjoy being able to chat. I did just update the firmware to ver 5.0. Any other Sena users have suggestions about effective/efficient usage?
    5. Any Tucson riders have a place that would install some of the "3M Paint Protection Plastic".
    6. Any other suggestions on "must have" items.

Home tonight and plan to put a big dent in the "break in" mileage over the next few days. Thanks again.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Another new guy
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-03-19 19:54:02 »
      So far as coms go nothing on the market will allow you and your pillion to benefit from all the available audio except for a wired system.  You will discover that the twin Bluetooth setup in the alpine unit will block half of it if you do not connect the BMW system to the first half.  To my knowledge nobody anywhere has got round this problem. Most systems will allow you to connect with the Alpine unit, the GPS and of course your pillion. She however will only get you. I think one make will allow the second unit to receive music from the first unit but I dont know if it works on the K. The BMW system is not much better  as it does not mute the radio/music when you talk and only controls the volume for helmet one. My Exclusive now a week old has a wired Autocom system fitted and everything works all the time for both if us. For bike to bike just plug in a radio. I'm sure you will get lots of advice here on how to get round the problem but I am not convinced there is a perfect solution.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-03-19 20:29:51 »
        Congrats on the bike and welcome.
        As for comms, I'm with RTman10. Also have the Autocom SPA-2, which does all I want from it (and more).
        If you want to add farkles, the first thing you need is an extra fuse box. Could be a regular on or an electronic one like the PDM60.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-19 22:05:43 »
          So far as coms go nothing on the market will allow you and your pillion to benefit from all the available audio except for a wired system.  You will discover that the twin Bluetooth setup in the alpine unit will block half of it if you do not connect the BMW system to the first half.  To my knowledge nobody anywhere has got round this problem. Most systems will allow you to connect with the Alpine unit, the GPS and of course your pillion. She however will only get you. I think one make will allow the second unit to receive music from the first unit but I dont know if it works on the K. The BMW system is not much better  as it does not mute the radio/music when you talk and only controls the volume for helmet one. My Exclusive now a week old has a wired Autocom system fitted and everything works all the time for both if us. For bike to bike just plug in a radio. I'm sure you will get lots of advice here on how to get round the problem but I am not convinced there is a perfect solution.

With recent firmware updates by Sena that is simply not the case. Music from the Alpine can be shared with the passenger.
          2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-03-19 22:08:37 »
            With recent firmware updates by Sena that is simply not the case. Music from the Alpine can be shared with the passenger.
            Same is true for the new Cardo Scala Rider G9x BT system - with the latest firmware upgrade, it supports the "BMW mode" on the K1600 as well.
            It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineValkman1291

« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-23 17:45:14 »
              Bob S,

One question please.  What is the procedure for sharing the Sirius output with the pillion rider using an updated pair of Sena's?  Obviously I know how to intercom with the passenger, but must I use a corded hookup? Thanks.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-23 20:18:06 »
                Bob S,

One question please.  What is the procedure for sharing the Sirius output with the pillion rider using an updated pair of Sena's?  Obviously I know how to intercom with the passenger, but must I use a corded hookup? Thanks.

I can't answer about Sirius as it is a USA only system, but you should be able to get info from the Sena website about how to do it.
                2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinerandka

« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-23 21:32:42 »
                  Only one way to go and that's an Autocom Spa, got mine carefully hard wired into the Alpine unit and everything works through the bike system on the handlebar wheel,  great bit of kit!

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #8 on: 2014-04-23 22:16:00 »
                    Logic will do just as well and a bit cheaper
                    Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #9 on: 2014-04-23 22:17:12 »
                      I totally agree.  I prefer the Logic 2 though. Its a smaller unit, costs a lot less and is easier to fit. No Bluetooth kit is going to give you the high quality stereo you get from a wired system.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #10 on: 2014-04-23 22:40:46 »
                        No Bluetooth kit is going to give you the high quality stereo you get from a wired system.

Have you actually tried any Bluetooth set ups to be able to reach that conclusion?
                        2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinebuzglyd

« Reply #11 on: 2014-04-24 05:49:22 »
                          No helmet stereo, wired or BT is going to give you "high quality." Road noise and wind noise will cancel out the "quality."

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #12 on: 2014-04-24 08:48:12 »
                            Have you actually tried any Bluetooth set ups to be able to reach that conclusion?

I have used Scala, Midland and BMW units.  None have matched my wired Autocom system for sound quality, usability or reliability. The only advantage I see in Bluetooth is bike to bike. If that's what you need go for the best Bluetooth system you can find.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #13 on: 2014-04-24 12:06:27 »
                              I have used Autocom systems in the past and the problem I have always had with them is the durability of the microphones. My microphone would fail on long touring holidays due to moisture getting into the mic with monotonous regularity, meaning that my wife could talk to me but I would not be able to talk back. It got to the stage I was having to take a spare microphone with me.

The Sena I have had for 2 years does not have this problem and the sound quality of the speakers is on a par with the Autocom speakers. Throw in the lack of wires and not having to connect to the system everytime you get on and off the bike and you have a more user friendly system. As I have more than one bike the Sena is even more versatile as there is no need to wire the Sena into the two bikes. In fact, by the way you have to wire the Autocom into the K1600 it would be even harder to transfer the unit to another bike given how the Autocom has to be wired into the Alpine unit.

Then there is the bike to bike capability. No messing about with PMR446 radios and having to wire them in, it is not just a case of plugging them in, they need setting up properly, adding the PTT etc.

In short the Sena has proved to be far more reliable than the Autocom units I have used (and I have used a few). The Sena has also proven to be far superior for my CBT and test preparation work than the Autocom set up I was using. My trainees can talk back to me, there is no dropping out of the signal, something which was always a problem with the PMR radios wired into the Autocom. The talk time of the Sena on one charge is far greater than I could ever get from the PMR radios and the days of carrying spare batteries around with me are long gone.
                              2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlineterry

« Reply #14 on: 2014-04-24 13:15:08 »
                                I'm with Bob S on this. My Sena has been aboslutely first class. :)
                                Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.