Author Topic: Werry noisy start after winter sleep  (Read 895 times)

OfflineWiking

• K1600GT/11
    Werry noisy start after winter sleep
    « on: 2014-03-22 13:21:17 »
    The first startup of my K1600GT 2011 (40.000 km) after winter sleep was werry werry noisy. So much that I immediately turn the engine off again. And again - and again - and then after 1-2 min at idle speed it sounds normal. Maybe its just the oil that must bild up the pressure. Did you have the same experience ?

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Werry noisy start after winter sleep
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-03-22 13:33:40 »
      Don't have that experience as my bike doesn't hibernate.
      The timing chain tensior needs oil pressure to work. If the bike stood still for several months, maybe the oil has dropped from the tensioner and then the chain makes a (disturbing) rattling sound. If the oil level is low, this is more likely to happen. Problem with this bike is that you have to start and run the bike until it's warm before you can check the oil level. A few minutes idling and the pressure comes back and the rattling sound disappears.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWiking

• K1600GT/11
        Re: Werry noisy start after winter sleep
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-03-22 14:25:27 »
        The bikes oil level was OK as it was renewed before winter sleep and the bike has been stored inside at 20 degrees celsius and was not started up for 3-4 month. And the chain was making noise and so did the cam og valves og maybe not every cylinder did fire as normal. It sounds terrible and I became afraid that the engine was defective - also because the noise seems to go on and on in so long time. Obvious I did not look at the watch and maybe the time felt mush longer than it rely was. But sometimes it is nice to hear others experience.
        Thanks for the answer.
        [size=78%]  [/size]

anything