Author Topic: Insurance and company performance  (Read 966 times)

Offlinesevenup

Insurance and company performance
    « on: 2014-04-01 11:32:35 »
    I am about to renew. I have 6 years NCD and i am an IAM member. BMW have quoted over £300 and I have quotes using MCN from a variety of companies from £150 upwards including euro cover and recovery. before I jump to cheap I would be interesdted to hear rfecommendations of companies to avoid. My experience of Bennetts, Carole Nash on claims in the past hasn't been the best but my wife assures me that she will not be responsible for her actions if I cant get a company to provide me with a service. I should explain that I am retired and money needs to be husbanded carefully. I am off to Burgos in the summer and I have a history of unreliable BMWs one of which was returned from France on a wagon.
    Economics - invented to make astrology look good #indyref #YES2014

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Insurance and company performance
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-04-01 12:52:03 »
      Insurance cover and breakdown cover are of course 2 different animals. which one are you renewing?

Offlinesevenup

« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-01 20:06:30 »
        I decided to go with Motor Cycle Direct. I took the Europe recovery the whole thing was £250. £208 with UK recovery only. BMW was another £100 on top although it included helmet and leathers/clothing and legal cover. it is now underwritten by eagle star.

OfflineShinyface

• Enjoy retirement because it will last a while.....
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-04-02 10:50:40 »
          There appears to be no equality in insurance quotes from BMW Motorrad , we are both retired and reside in Scotland ( better post codes ) and have a K1600. I have been with BMW for many years and have over nine years NCD. MY recently renewed insurance including breakdown cover has gone down from £212 to £179. ;D .....fully comp with a restricted mileage of 8k .
          Sven there appears to be no obvious differences between us unless you have 12 points etc......
          Last year I rang around some brokers and was quoted £103 ! fully comp by Bennetts but stayed with BMW because I had that " you get what you pays for " in my head. You pay your money and only find out the real deal when you make a claim.  :'(

Shinyface  ;)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-02 11:23:37 »
            The big problem for me with the BMW scheme is the ridiculously high excess of £650.
            2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineShinyface

• Enjoy retirement because it will last a while.....
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-04-02 12:21:54 »
              I agree Bob, however if you calculated my insurance and excess combined it is £829 should the worse happen.
               Many people on here get quotes of at least £350 plus for the insurance alone, add their excess and it won`t be far from BMW if not over it.
              Most insurance companies adjust the premium in relation to the excess you wish to pay , its just a game of motorcycle roulette....  In addition UK and European emergency breakdown cover may well be chargeable extra. Working in the recovery business I can assure you Mondial Assistance is far better than our home grown services as I deal with them all  on a weekly basis.
              I have no connection with BMW or Motorrad in any way.

Shinyface

OfflineBob S

« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-02 16:23:08 »
                My premium for two bikes last July was £340 with a £250 excess on the 1600 and £175 on my GSA. The policy included legal cover and UK breakdown and recovery and protected no claims. BMW wanted another £100 on top and although their quote included the legal cover and protected no claims it didn't include the breakdown cover. Factor in the £650 excess and they were well out of the ball park. Now that I have replaced my GSA with a Honda they won't cover non BMW's.
                2012 K1600GT-SE

Offlinesevenup

« Reply #7 on: 2014-04-04 15:19:14 »
                  the excesses have gone up. I needed to take out the BMW extended warranty as my 2 years is up and previous BMWs had so many major issues that I felt it necessary. upside is euro recovery is part of it so insurance now £160. I could have got it much cheaper but i get worried about service when it gets so cheap. Excess is £550. Given the cost of plastics and loss of NCB if I fall or break a mirror I reckon I wouldnt claim for anything below that if I was paying and all 3 last claims havent been my fault (bike parked at 2 of them and car reversed into me at traffic lights)
                  for the record G84 post code, retired, 60 years old Male with own car with 1 yr discount (shared before that). IAM test passed and 8k miles, pillion cover and continental touring.